XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:10 am 

:g5: shuts down during boot :g5:

Hey! First of all this is my first post here, so hi everyone, my name is Julien, I'm 21 years old, I'm from Canada and I have... I think... 10 PPC Macs!
I recently bought a second Power Mac G5 that was in much better shape than the one I had, same model, but less powerful processor. I had the (bad) idea of exchanging each other inside's so I get a powerful G5 in a nice case... Didn't look up if it could be done, and just assumed it would be fine... Boy, was I wrong! So it ended up not working, I put them back and originally it wouldn't boot. I wrote a post on MacRumors about this and they told me it must've been because the processors were badly connected. Now, it does boot after reinstalling the processors. But it boots up and then it shuts down before the spinning wheel but after the Apple logo.

Here's what I get when I boot cmd+s in my Mac OS X Leopard Install partition that I have on the drive (if I boot using the real OS X partition, it shuts down before the error shows up)
extension "com.apple.driver.applepmu" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style
cmd+V = stops at the same place as cmd+s

I've tried:
cmd + S
cmd + V
PRAM reset 3x in a row
Open Firmware: reset nvram and set defaults
PMU button inside the PMG5
Disk Utility - Repair on Target Disk Mode using another Mac
Running Apple Hardware Test (Extended): Everything passed, didn't see any problems

Important to know:
I don't have a 3.6 V lithium battery currently installed.

Read more:
My post on MacRumors is named: "Looks like I ruined 2 working PowerMacs G5" : https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/looks-like-i-ruined-2-working-powermacs-g5.2241476/

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:20 am 

Without a battery on the motherboard, settings related to the CPUs cannot save and you will end up with an unbootable machine. Those are required to even POST.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:26 am 

Good thing I bought some on Amazon then! That's what I was kinda thinking, but I've never had problems without one. I'll update when I receive it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:56 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Great, we want to hear more from you! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 am 

Well that didn't work, the first boot after adding the battery, it kinda "worked" I got the (/) logo after 2-3 minutes instead of an immediate shut down. I know it's not caused by the HD because I've been able to boot from it using a different Mac in Target Disk Mode...

And now, it does like before, even after using nvram-reset, pram reset and pressing the Cuda button.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:42 am 

Not sure if this applies to your G5, but FWIW G5 iMacs, possibily the entire generation of caps around this time, were notorious for exploded or bulging caps. Might have a look at yours to see what shape they're in. Not just the logic board, but inside the PSU as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:07 pm 

I'm still getting the error: extension "com.apple.driver.applepmu" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style when booting off my install OS X Leopard partition, when I try the other partitions, it shuts down before the error even shows up (I think the OS X Install partition shuts down just miliseconds after so I have the time to see the error)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:33 pm 

You may need to run the Thermal Calibration from Apple System Diganostics (ASD) 2.5.8, or 2.6.3 (the latter is necessary for later model CPUs in the G5 range). Thankfully one of the things BD has done here is squirreled away ASDs, so he (or someone else here) should hopefully have both versions available for you to burn to a CD and use to calibrate the new thermals for your machine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Other than anInstaller boot, can you get a 10.5.8 OS installed on an external drive to boot from?

BTW: Welcome aboard julienberthelot ! :welcome:

See your PMs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:50 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
You may need to run the Thermal Calibration from Apple System Diganostics (ASD) 2.5.8, or 2.6.3 (the latter is necessary for later model CPUs in the G5 range). Thankfully one of the things BD has done here is squirreled away ASDs, so he (or someone else here) should hopefully have both versions available for you to burn to a CD and use to calibrate the new thermals for your machine.
My thought exactly. Any time you unseat the CPUs on a G5 you are supposed to run a thermal calibration. This is why I've had my dual G5 for years and still haven't replaced the thermal compound.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:16 pm 

Will try! Trying not to get too hopeful!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:41 pm 

Well, I just tried it to no avail. It said it didn’t find any errors in calibration, I still calibrated it just because in case, but it still shuts down during boot before the spinning wheel shows up. Will try the special Hardware Test on the ASD disk I got from Macintosh Garden tomorrow because I can’t stand hearing the fan running haha!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 am 

Everything passed... I seriously have no idea why it’s doing that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:54 pm 

Sorry, wish I had more info for you. This is why I stubbornly refuse to put new compound on my G5, they don't always obey the laws of thermodynamics.