XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:21 am 

https://www.videosolo.com/tutorials/best-blu-ray-ripper.html

https://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-ripper-for-mac.htm?trackID=productpage

Free app Mac for OS X 10.6 to 10.9; OS X Yosemite(Blu-ray ISO tested):
http://www.bluray-player-software.com/user/download/Aurora_Bluray_Copy.dmg
Web Page: http://www.bluray-player-software.com/mac-bluray-dvd-copy.htm?__c=1

Old copier version is free, newer player only version is $49.95:
http://www.bluray-player-software.com/store.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Lame. I don’t know what HDPC is but apparently mine is out of date on my late 2012 Mac Pro – who would’ve known? I guess I need more than one computer to do regular things with. I need more horizontal space, or longer extension cords and HDMI cables.

I still have my Atari 800. Haven’t used it in a few years but last time I did, it powered right up. I’d still game on it if only I could figure out how to get a video signal to a modern HDMI monitor.

-he who stacks pork
To be fair, the 2012s were just 2010 models with faster CPUs. Same exact motherboard, just a firmware rev to handle the new CPUs. People bitched up a storm about how Apple was charging that much for a system without USB 3.0.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

And apple showed them by eschewing a neutered Trashcan with 4 USB3.0 ports! :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:54 pm 
he who stacks pork

kjk555 wrote:

Once again, I have ZERO NEED to rip/copy anything (I was pretty sure I stated this already, but I am a Californian, and can expect flak from others around the US). I legally own the Nakatomi Plaza edition 6-disc Blue-Ray set of Die Hard. I just want to watch the stupidass movies.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:12 pm 

kjk555 wrote:

Once again, I have ZERO NEED to rip/copy anything (I was pretty sure I stated this already, but I am a Californian, and can expect flak from others around the US). I legally own the Nakatomi Plaza edition 6-disc Blue-Ray set of Die Hard. I just want to watch the stupidass movies.

-he who stacks pork

Sadly, as I mentioned before, your best bet is a standalone player unless your hackintosh is of Skylake breed or later. HDCP 2.2 was not around when your Mac Pro was made, so its CPUs are only HDCP 1.x capable even if your graphics card is the latest and greatest. If you want a blu-ray player with a good UI and decent loading times, Sony's lineup works very well. I have a BDP-S6700, though that's a "4k upscaling capable" player, not native 4k. Those run in the $200 range. But you'll get better features on the standalones than you will with a computer unless you use something like SwitchResX to create hotkeys that let you switch to 1080p24 or 4k24 so you can use your TV's processing to get the soap opera effect (standalone players will default to 24 Hz mode for your TV automatically and unlike the Mac players seem to have, will output the lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio streams. I've yet to get a Mac blu-ray player to output anything but the lossy Dolby Digital and DTS streams even over HDMI. After fighting with computer players for years, I said fuck it and got a standalone. It's better than having to deal with the bullshit of flaky setups.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 am 

-he who stacks pork
But if you want to watch it on your Mac in 4K then you need to rip them. That's the point we're making by bringing up rippers.

Otherwise you need a component player.

It's stupid. It's idiotic. But this is what the MPAA stuck us with. They're not stopping piracy. They're not even making a dent in piracy. They're just making it harder for anyone who wants to remain legal. At this point they've gone straight to encouraging piracy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:45 pm 
he who stacks pork

Damn. What a silly world we live in. I guess this means I need to have the Hackintosh next to my 2012 5,1 so I can watch my Blue Rays. :roll: Gotta figure out power delivery and extension cords. Fun.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:27 pm 

Damn. What a silly world we live in. I guess this means I need to have the Hackintosh next to my 2012 5,1 so I can watch my Blue Rays. :roll: Gotta figure out power delivery and extension cords. Fun.

-he who stacks pork

Just get a standalone 4k blu-ray player. They're going to be much less finnicky than any computer will. And you don't have to worry as much about power delivery or having extra cords and stuff. Just one HDMI connection to the display or home theater setup and boom, done. The units are remote controllable, so you have more flexibility in placement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:57 am 

Ha, a good friend spent YEARS trashing optical media... and now he is back to doing opticals from Netflix!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:22 pm 

Opticals from Netflix means I don't have to worry about dropouts while streaming. And I get slightly better picture and almost always superior lossless audio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 pm 
he who stacks pork

Hmm… if Netflix still mails out opticals, this might be a future-proof solution for the next two years; maybe it’s time I signed up.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:14 am 

Hmm… if Netflix still mails out opticals, this might be a future-proof solution for the next two years; maybe it’s time I signed up.

-he who stacks pork

They do still do opticals. It's a large part of their revenue. My grandpa has the two at a time blu-ray/dvd plan for $17/month.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:24 pm 

And with optical media you have the option of putting them into an MP4 or MKV file, putting that on a media server, and then streaming it over your LAN/WLAN to any device that supports the media server... ps4, xbone, fire, chromecast, android, ios, macos, windows, linux, etc. No monthly fees for that kind of streaming, and if your network is setup right, no major connection issues either. The trick is creating a decent media server... and a decent network... ah, so many memories, so many strange fluids gushing out of patients' bodies... </zoidberg>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:06 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:
And with optical media you have the option of putting them into an MP4 or MKV file, putting that on a media server, and then streaming it over your LAN/WLAN to any device that supports the media server... ps4, xbone, fire, chromecast, android, ios, macos, windows, linux, etc. No monthly fees for that kind of streaming, and if your network is setup right, no major connection issues either. The trick is creating a decent media server... and a decent network... ah, so many memories, so many strange fluids gushing out of patients' bodies... </zoidberg>

I don’t don’t think I’ll ever be doing anything so high tech as that.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:01 pm 

Eh, it's not so hard, the trick is having enough storage. After that it's just a matter of installing media server software. Plex is free and real easy to get going, supports Macs, Windows, and to a limited extent Linux. It can emulate whatever that standard is for media servers so things like playstations and xbones can use it without installing an app.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:26 pm 

To expand on why my buddy went back to opticals, he said there is a MUCH larger selection of titles in opticals than they license for streaming. He's got bucks to burn so he does the 15 buck 2 out at a time, the one out I think is an extra 8 bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:53 am 

paulc wrote:
To expand on why my buddy went back to opticals, he said there is a MUCH larger selection of titles in opticals than they license for streaming. He's got bucks to burn so he does the 15 buck 2 out at a time, the one out I think is an extra 8 bucks.

That's the plan my grandpa has. And if I want to watch one when he's done with it, I can do so w/o late charges. And if it's a DVD I simply copy it to my drive and back it up to my 10 TB offline backup for future watching. For blu-ray I can make an ISO out of it and use it on the Windows side since I've yet to figure out a way to get the Mac blu-ray players to play the lossless tracks even on legit physical media. But realistically I just use my Sony BDP-S6700 standalone player for my needs. Fast enough loading times and almost zero hassle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:29 am 

I'm almost waiting for my TV to fail so I can get a 4k one... it's an older, dumb TV, I think I have an old style DVD p[l;ayer that has been unused for years. If the TV goes by the end of the year I MAY want to go new QLED and a PS5... MAYBE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:15 pm 

Beware of connecting smart TVs to the internet. Many of the cheaper brands report every button press back to the manufacturer along with any identifying information you input to the TV so they can sell your data for marketing purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

How are they going to monetize that when we die... plant RFID chips in us?

To maybe report who visits us, how often, 2% cash back if you bring Flowers?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 pm 

In Memorium... BROUGHT TO YOU BY BRAWNDO! It's got Elecrolytes!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:54 am 

paulc wrote:
I'm almost waiting for my TV to fail so I can get a 4k one... it's an older, dumb TV, I think I have an old style DVD p[l;ayer that has been unused for years. If the TV goes by the end of the year I MAY want to go new QLED and a PS5... MAYBE.

I want a 4k TV as well. My upcoming and still waiting to be built 9900k system (yay ulnar nerve entrapment holding me back) will be paired with a Yamaha CX-A5100 prepro and a Monoprice M7X amplifier. I'm ready for 4k. But...money. Sure I'm going to get better gaming performance on 1080p, especially since I have a 1080Ti backing it up. But man I'd love that sweet, sweet 4k. But finding a good 4k TV that has a proper PC mode that doesn't do chroma subsampling and is in the 43-46" range is...not easy, especially in my budgetary range.

Mmmm....4k.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:18 am 

I thought we were waiting for HDMI 2.1 for 120Hz support? :?:

Edit: I currently already have 3 pieces of 4k TVs, of which only the newest one is used with 4K, I know I should slow down, but am still drooling over some 80 inch QLED TV/display. :bonk: