XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:31 pm 

Does it matter if the profile is called default or default-esr??
That was one of my concerns.
Right now - and ever since the update was available I HAVE been using it - what is not right is the profile - missing all of those bookmarks since October. I think your directions will get me to have the profile WITH the missing bookmarks.

I'm not sure - given the direction you give and the fact that I still will keep the old profile folder - whether I need to get a new application - I have Firefox running 68.4.1 and it is called Firefox, so it should work in the future to update by dragging the .dmg into the application folder (which wouldn't work when the application was called Firefox 2)

I need to read carefully what you suggest - it's too late at night to try this now - but I think I can keep the Firefox I'm using and just do the fixes you suggest. BUT - what about that "2t69xx0i default-esr" versus "7ta6eq30 default" as the name of the profile?? Now, the profile that is working as the default is 7ta6eq30 default - I can tell by the date on get info and the bookmarkbackup dates. It is the profile name that I was using way back when I was in v60 and had just one Ff and one profile. When I updated, the other one became the default.

See attachment:
Attachment:
current 2 profiles.jpg
current 2 profiles.jpg [ 25.34 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

WZZZ wrote:
UPDATE:...First, proceed as originally planned by getting the new 68.0.1esr, but don't do anything with it at all. Just open it (most likely "Firefox2.app") and quit it. Then go to its new Profile folder in your User Library->Application Support->Firefox->Profiles and open that up. It will be the one that's just been created, with a long string of characters "xxxxxxxx .default-esr" (mine was, for example, "5nb2jkzq.default-esr."

Attachment:
The attachment duplicate.png is no longer available

Screenshot duplicate Profile with everything (as much as can be shown) top to bottom highlighted/selected. Note: items in yours will differ from mine -- to be expected.

Attachment:
The attachment profile copy highlighted.png is no longer available

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:00 pm 

Too late here also. Read very quickly since I'm just about to turn in, so could have gotten this wrong.

Looks like you have 2 profiles: xxxxxx.default, which is the leftover from the old FF 60.xxx and the xxxxx.default-esr, which should be for the current FF68.xxx. If that's the case, then just trash the leftover xxxxxx.default profile. You definitely must be using only the xxxxxx.default-esr profile inside that folder. And if you're already running the new 68.4.1 (how did you get that, you just updated to that?) and no other FF apps in Applications, just FF.app (68.4.1), then that's it. Nothing else to do. No need to open and run the new 68.4.1 dmg installer.

But the new 68.4.1 belongs with the xxxxxx.default-esr, not with the xxxxxx.default.

I won't have any time tmw morning, must run out. Might have a moment when I return later in afternoon.

Quote:
Now, the profile that is working as the default is 7ta6eq30 default - I can tell by the date on get info and the bookmarkbackup dates. It is the profile name that I was using way back when I was in v60 and had just one Ff and one profile.

Are you saying that the 7ta6eq30 default is the one you're using? If so don't do anything just yet.*

To see which profile is in use go to "about:profiles" It will show the one in use and say This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted.

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:23 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:coffee:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Too late here also. Read very quickly since I'm just about to turn in, so could have gotten this wrong…

You? Never!

WZZZ wrote:
Looks like you have 2 profiles: xxxxxx.default, which is the leftover from the old FF 60.xxx and the xxxxx.default-esr, which should be for the current FF68.xxx. If that's the case, then just trash the leftover xxxxxx.default profile. You definitely must be using only the xxxxxx.default-esr profile inside that folder.

Yes, the default-esr should be for the current Ff68xx.
That’s the problem - it isn’t. “about:profiles” shows 7ta6eq30.default as the profile in use.

WZZZ wrote:
And if you're already running the new 68.4.1 (how did you get that, you just updated to that?) and no other FF apps in Applications, just FF.app (68.4.1), then that's it. Nothing else to do. No need to open and run the new 68.4.1 dmg installer.

Yes, I am up and running 68.4.1
I got 68.4.1 by updating via “About Firefox” in the menu bar (I had to do it twice- it first updated to 68.4.0 and then to 68.4.1)
At the time when I did the update, Firefox v68.3x was called Firefox 2. I knew from past experience with the traveling MBP that dragging the .dmg to the application folder would update the wrong/OLD Firefox v60x which was still there (my bad!) and called Firefox.

This is when I thought I could solve my problems by changing the name of Firefox from Ff 2 to Ff.
Two hours after that is when I realized I was missing all the bookmarks since we got home (all connected to the upcoming spring trip)

WZZZ wrote:
But the new 68.4.1 belongs with the xxxxxx.default-esr, not with the xxxxxx.default.

I know! And that’s my worry - it isn’t - 68.4.1 is now running. about:profiles shows 7ta6eq30.default This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted.

WZZZ wrote:
I won't have any time tmw morning, must run out. Might have a moment when I return later in afternoon.

I’ll be here :)

Mrs H wrote:
Now, the profile that is working as the default is 7ta6eq30.default - I can tell by the date on get info and the bookmarkbackup dates. It is the profile name that I was using way back when I was in v60 and had just one Ff and one profile.

WZZZ wrote:
Are you saying that the 7ta6eq30 default is the one you're using? If so don't do anything just yet.*

Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

WZZZ wrote:
To see which profile is in use go to "about:profiles" It will show the one in use and say This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted.

It’s 7ta6eq30.default - and that's what my problem is. Though it seems to be wroking fine, the other profile has all the missing bookmarks from October to the day in January when I changed the name. I made one bookmark the day I discovered my bookmark folder Sakura 2020 was missing and that shows up in the list of backup bookmarks in the 7ta6eq30.default profile. I am pretty totally sure that the profile I am using is the OLD one from v60 7ta6eq30.default

I have saved some old profiles way back - like back to 2017 - and they all show only 7ta6eq30.default so I am also sure that that is the profile from Ff v60 esr and earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:36 pm 

OK, if everything's good with the default profile, and the only problem is missing bookmarks, which you say are in the default-esr profile, then with FF quit simply copy-drag (option drag) places.sqlite from the default-esr to the default, which will offer to replace it. Probably good idea before doing that to backup the places.sqlite from the default first.

The actual name of the profile shouldn't really matter. In fact, when this is all done, and you're completely satisfied that everything is 100% with the default, then you can trash the default-esr (good idea to make a backup somewhere before trashing), and, not really necessary, you can leave it as "default", if you like You can just rename the default to default-esr, or anything at all, call it "Frosted Flakes" or "Warmed Over Eggplant," makes no difference. No one will be any the wiser.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 4.34.27 PM.png [119.52 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:38 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
OK, if everything's good with the default profile, and the only problem is missing bookmarks, which you say are in the default-esr profile, then with FF quit simply copy-drag (option drag) places.sqlite from the default-esr to the default, which will replace it it. ...just rename the default to default-esr, or anything you like, call it "Frosted Flakes" or "Warmed Over Eggplant," makes no difference. No one will be any the wiser.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 4.34.27 PM.png

Thank you for giving me a way out of this. Thank you for your time and help.
Your plan is my tomorrow activity.
Warmed over eggplant sounds interesting. So my worries about "default-esr" as the name seem to be unfounded?

Seriously though, I now have 68.4.1 running and it's called Firefox (not Firefox 2) - no worries - I'll do as you say and it will be OK.
places.sqlite is bookmarks - not the backupbookmarks folder I saw (which didn't go back very far it seems to me)

I don't have to move all that is in the whole profile folder just the places.sqlite??

I have several copies already of the whole profile, but I'll make additional copies of the places.sqlite document (is it a document?) before proceeding.

I don't know how to check again that the "missing bookmarks, which you say are in the default-esr profile," - when this started I still had the Firefox that defaulted to default-esr - I don't seem to have that any longer - it got updated and the name is now Firefox - the only other firefox I have is the old app for v60. I don't want to go to about:profiles and tell the working 68.4.1 to make the default-esr the default to see if the bookmarks are there because it will surely screw something else up.

One good thing - the last backup copies I made were just before all of this occurred and I haven't overwritten them with newer backups. I could investigate there if need be.

Will all of this keep the History that I have accumulated for the past 2 days using the 68.4.1 Firefox (using the default profile)? No problem if it doesn't - nothing is important there. Mostly I've visited here and news.

Mr H still has his Firefox called Firefox 2 and we did the update from the updater. If I trash the older v60 (called Firefox) and the old profile .default that goes with it, should that be enough? I really am worried about getting rid of that 2 on his (and on the travel MBP for that matter - I need to get that up and running and do the updates as well)

Thank you again for sticking with me on this. I'll get back to you with the results tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:30 am 

Quote:
I don't know how to check again that the "missing bookmarks, which you say are in the default-esr profile,"

Best way to know is by moving the places.sqlite over from default-esr and see.
Quote:
Will all of this keep the History that I have accumulated for the past 2 days using the 68.4.1 Firefox (using the default profile)? [/quote
History should be there, the only change you're making is the places.sqlite.
Quote:
Mr H still has his Firefox called Firefox 2 and we did the update from the updater. If I trash the older v60 (called Firefox) and the old profile .default that goes with it, should that be enough?

Yes, this is what I should have told you to do as soon as the 60.xxx became extinct. He can also rename FF2.app to just FF.app, after trashing the FF2. Renaming will ask for your admin pword, as well as moving the app to the Trash.

EDIT: Waterfox, now v2020.01, is fully patched now and back in business.

https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com ... 0Setup.dmg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
History should be there, the only change you're making is the places.sqlite....

EDIT: Waterfox, now v2020.01, is fully patched now and back in business.

https://storage-waterfox.netdna-ssl.com ... 0Setup.dmg

Thanks for all the new information and help!

Trying to get Mr H up and running before fixing the iMac - we are desparately trying to finish bookings for the upcoming trip and are expecting an ice storm tonight - up to 1 inch of ice possible, so we probably will be without power for at least a day.

Thanks for the link for the update.
I'm glad I saw the name of the version.
I used the updater in Mr H's Waterfox, and it only updated to 2019.12
AND when I went to "about Waterfox" in the left corner, it tells me it's uptodate, which it is not since it is only at 2019.12.

So I downloaded the update using your link which calls it Waterfox Classic, not just Waterfox. Same?

Then when I went to drag the .dmg into the application folder it told me a newer copy was already there (I've had this strange behaviour with updating Firefox in the past, but not for about a year.) I'm pretty sure I should replace the 2019.12 version to the 2020.01 - but I'm wondering about this peculiar statement that he is uptodate with 2019.12, which I know he is not.

He'll stay on Chrome for Maps until I do the update.
I'll try to fix my .sqlite once I get him going again. I never use Waterfox but should update mine as well of course.

BTW - once I do the .sqlite thing and am sure all is OK with bookmarks, should I copy the few items from the backupbookmarks folder in the non-default profile and put them into the working one. (please see attachments on my post on page 1 of this thread to see what I'm talking about with missing entries)

So - think good thoughts for us and hope we don't get hit with too much ice so we can continue to work and get things done.

Thank you again for your help!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:41 pm 

Quote:
So I downloaded the update using your link which calls it Waterfox Classic, not just Waterfox. Same?

Yes. When you install it it will appear in Applications as Waterfox.app. That's to distinguish between that WF version and the latest one called "Waterfox Current," based on FF 68. Not ready yet for prime time, and doesn't support "legacy" addons like NoScript in "WF Classic."
Quote:
Then when I went to drag the .dmg into the application folder it told me a newer copy was already there (I've had this strange behaviour with updating Firefox in the past, but not for about a year.) I'm pretty sure I should replace the 2019.12 version to the 2020.01 - but I'm wondering about this peculiar statement that he is uptodate with 2019.12, which I know he is not.

No idea why. I would just trash the current WF and install the new one.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 5.36.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 5.36.24 PM.png [ 333.11 KiB | Viewed 1618 times ]

Quote:
BTW - once I do the .sqlite thing and am sure all is OK with bookmarks, should I copy the few items from the backupbookmarks folder in the non-default profile and put them into the working one. (please see attachments on my post on page 1 of this thread to see what I'm talking about with missing entries)

No idea about the backupbookmarks folder, never mess with it. Might mess with what you bring over with the places.sqlite. What I would do is backup the default profile places.sqlite first, then replace the places.sqlite from the default-esr and see what's what. It will bring over all the bookmarks from the default-esr. If you're missing a few newer bookmarks, then temporarily replace the default profile places.sqlite and copy the few URLs of those bookmarks, then put the default-esr places.sqlite back, go to those URLs and bookmark them.

Or first copy those URLs somewhere (to TextEdit) before bringing over the default places.sqlite.

Everything you do with places.sqlite with the working default profile should be with FF closed/quit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:59 pm 

Rain and icing has begun - so don't know how long we will have power - Mr H is drawing water into pots and bottles for tomorrow and I'm getting out candles and flashlights and our Coleman lantern just in case... We hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

So, a quickie reply.

WZZZ wrote:
.... I would just trash the current WF and install the new one.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 5.36.24 PM.png

Quote:

Or can I just drag the new 2020.01 .dmg into the applications folder and let it replace the previous 2019.12 version which just got updated with the updater?
Mr H has uBlock Origin and NoScript on Waterfox and I'd like to avoid having to set that up again if I don't have to. The you are replacing a newer item was customary fare for years with Firefox so I'm not too concerned about it (though perhaps I should be?)

WZZZ wrote:
...What I would do is backup the default profile places.sqlite first, then replace the places.sqlite from the default-esr and see what's what. It will bring over all the bookmarks from the default-esr. If you're missing a few newer bookmarks, then temporarily replace the default profile places.sqlite and copy the few URLs of those bookmarks, then put the default-esr places.sqlite back, go to those URLs and bookmark them.

Or first copy those URLs somewhere (to TextEdit) before bringing over the default places.sqlite.

Everything you do with places.sqlite with the working default profile should be with FF closed/quit.

Sounds like we are on the same page. I already have copied onto a text edit page the URLs of the few newer bookmarks from the (now) 2 (or is it 3) days since this mess all began. I can just go to those pages from the text edit document and bookmark them anew.

I have backed up the profiles for both default and default-esr and I suppose I should backup as well separately the places.sqlite document (still don't know what to call the thing but am pretty sure document is not the right term)

Obviously I have no idea what that bookmarksbackup folder is, but probably it is unnecessary if I just can get all the bookmarks back into the working profile.

Hopefully the storm will pass tomorrow and the power company will get us back up and running, if the ice brings us down, and I can finally sort this out.

Once more, thank you so much for all your help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:34 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
No idea about the backupbookmarks folder, never mess with it. Might mess with what you bring over with the places.sqlite. What I would do is backup the default profile places.sqlite first, then replace the places.sqlite from the default-esr and see what's what. It will bring over all the bookmarks from the default-esr. If you're missing a few newer bookmarks, then temporarily replace the default profile places.sqlite and copy the few URLs of those bookmarks, then put the default-esr places.sqlite back, go to those URLs and bookmark them.

Freezing rain and ice have let up - no power outage nor any fallen trees that we can see. It was pretty with the trees covered in ice, but not good for the trees.

Anyway ... SUCCESS!

THANK YOU

I did what you said - I now have the missing bookmarks through January 7 when I did that stupid name change for Firefox 2.
The profile to which Ff defaults is simply called 7ta6eq30.default - but that seems to be fine.
I checked History and it stops on January 7 and picks up with Google today.
I made a copy of History from January 7 until today so I can find any of those hotel sites I took so long researching but didn't bookmark.
If I need them they are in my text edit copy of the history for the past 7 days, and in a few weeks I can trash that long Hisoty of URLs if they are no needed.

The bookmarksbackup folder on the profile for 7ta6eq30.default is still missing about 10 entries, but I'm not going to copy them into the folder from the default-esr profile - even though it looks like I could, since everything else in the folder matches from one to the other (this was the original profile I used when I did the update from 60 to 68.)

All is good with Ff! I will now trash everything that isn't part of this updated, working Firefox - but WAIT - I should probably wait a day and make sure all works well before throwing out anything.

Waterfox is running 2020.01 on both computers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:17 pm 

Good job! Glad we got there in the end.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:33 am 

In a day or so I'll be ready to trash what isn't being used.
A few trashy questions:

1. To trash the default-esr profile - so it doesn't get in the way again - should I go through about:profiles and click remove? Or just put it in the trash from the profiles folder in application support?

2. Trash the old 60 version of Firefox, which is in the application folder in a folder I made called old Firefox?

3. Trash the old profiles - which I've saved forever - back to version 52?

4. Save a copy as I always do of the current, working profile before doing an update, but then trash before the next update so I don't have tons of old profiles?

5. I have old copies of the application .dmg in downloads - back to v52 (I've trashed some along the way, but saved most - don't quite know why!) - trash those as well?

New info:
I read somewhere (reddit) that the Waterfox updater is not uptodate - which is why it didn't pick up that Mr H needed 2020.01 which I knew he did, but updater didn't think so!

Thanks WZZZ for your help and continued patience with me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 am 

If you look through the newer posts in this thread since the onset of your most recent problem, I think almost all those questions have already been answered, or answers can be deduced.

Don't sell yourself short, I'm betting that you have enough experience and skills by now to deal with any other questions related to this topic on your own. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:34 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
If you look through the newer posts in this thread since the onset of your most recent problem, I think almost all those questions have already been answered, or answers can be deduced.

Don't sell yourself short, I'm betting that you have enough experience and skills by now to deal with any other questions related to this topic on your own. :)

You are absolutely right - I was just wanting reassurance and I should give that to myself.
OtOH I wanted to say "a trashy question" because it sounded so clever ;)
And #1 actually is a question the answer to which I don't know and can't find. Is the best way to remove a profile through about:profiles?

Mrs H wrote:
A few trashy questions:

1. To trash the default-esr profile - so it doesn't get in the way again - should I go through about:profiles and click remove? Or just put it in the trash from the profiles folder in application support?

Thanks WZZZ for your help and continued patience with me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:11 pm 

about:profiles should do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 pm 

Thank you so much, WZZZ.

about:profiles is the way to go then.

You know this thread has helped me understand profiles more.

Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:09 am 

Still learning.

Found that the bookmarksbackupfolder backs up the last 15 (another source said 5 - but I know it keeps more than 5) bookmarks.

Also learned how to just back up the bookmarks if I want to - see no particular need, since I backup the entire profile each time I do an update and its backed up as well on each of my external HD backups - but it looks like it might have saved me & made it easier to do the work I had to do to retrieve the bookmarks lost when the profile got switched when I did the stupid name change.

Learned stuff here:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... -move-them

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks Mrs H :)