XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:lol: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:53 pm 

OK, I may be verging on being ridiculous but a tiny bit more research has me now comparing the 4TB WD Red Pro to this 4TB Toshiba Enterprise Class from OWC. The Toshiba is $118 and to me they are comparable drives in most areas accept if I'm reading this correctly the data sheet for the Red Pro here compared to the data sheet for theToshiba MG04ACA Series SATA Interface Enterprise Class show the Toshiba with a longer MTTF. (1,000,000 Hrs for Red vs. 1,400,000 for Toshiba).

That's not negligible...of course I could be missing something. Cheaper and longer lasting seems like the better choice, at least on the surface.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think I'd chance the Toshiba... wait, no thinking at all, I would :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:53 am 

I have a couple refurbished Toshiba drives, they worked fine although I stopped using them because they were "only" 2TB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:57 am 

Tomorrow I get from OWC..

This drive and this case.
I appreciate all the input on this choice. It's appalling how difficult it is to get critical data about the storage devices found within these proprietary cases. I'm unusual in that I spent so much time making this one simple decision. Most folks likely just buy the cheapest external backup from Best Buy or Amazon and call it a day. I want to at least hope that my back up data is safe. This final choice seems like a decent option and, while not the cheapest, seems to be a fair price in today's market.
Thanks again all!

BTW, I've already found the Toshiba drive a bit cheaper but at some point the process has to stop. Right? Also, as I search deeper my confidence level in the proprietor drops....Sometimes precipitously! I've always had good experience dealing with OWC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:) :coffee:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:34 pm 

I think the last Toshiba USB drive I bought had one of these USB controllers on the drive, which is around the time that behavior exploded from everyone. I had bought the drive intending to yank it out and use the SATA drive elsewhere. No matter how hard I tried I kept snapping clips in the plastic enclosure, making it impossible to return. Ended up using tape to hold it together after I was done. Hmm. I wonder where that thing ended up? It was a really nasty case design too, it was rounded on top so you couldn't easily stack things on it. Maybe it died. Maybe I got fed up with it.

After that is when I started encountering USB controller WDs and Seagates that people brought me to fix... one guy got really lucky and his died so quickly he was able to buy the same model drive from Best Buy and after a little presto chango swapping of controllers I was able to copy all the data off his original, although like my Toshiba the case had to be held together with tape after I was done.

The 2TB refurbs were internal SATAs. I know precisely where one is, it's under a bowl of hot sauce packets. :) Not for any reason, but I put it there after swapping it out for a 4TB drive and the bowl doesn't move much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:40 pm 

I got my drive and case today. Very happy with them. I decided to pull the drive out of the old failing MyBook external case. It is a fairly cheaply made case. The drive inside is a 3TB WD Green. The controller was easily removed in this instance. I was a little surprised that when I placed that drive into my external dock (I mentioned and linked earlier in thread) and it came up with a message suggesting that it needed to be formatted. It didn't seem to even try and mount just very quickly to that message. I had never gotten that exact message while it was in the old case. Is this possibly related to the controller? I formatted the drive with little problem and so far is working flawlessly. Maybe the old case was the failing part. ???

I am keeping the new stuff for the Time Machine back up but if that drive does still function it will be nice to have.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Good work sounds like the Controller for certain. :)

They try to design these things to die the day after the Warranty expires, but sometimes it behooves them & runs a bit longer! :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:18 pm 

Not all bridge chips are created equally. Some convert the information you give them into their own proprietary format in an effort to increase drive performance or whatever goals the OEM had.

For example I once took apart a Seagate drive that had failed only to discover upon connecting the SATA drive into a normal bridge/dock there were 6 or 8 partitions on the drive with no correlation to the format the drive had been in when it was attached via the (now dead) USB bridge.

It could also just be a symptom of the drive's failure of course. Only way to know for sure is to do a raw copy of the drive to another drive and see how many errors crop up during the copy. I usually use ddrescue for this and a destination drive of equal size or larger (preferably larger).