XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Was at a follow up at the eye doctors, guy walks up to the admitting holding a laptop in one hand open to about 120° the exterior of the lid was lit up light grey with a bright white Apple symbol in the middle, when the screen dimmed both the Apple logo & the large grey area darkened.

This guy could've easily passed for Tim Cook, looks, glasses, grey hair, etc., I figure he was a Salesman & when he picked up the Laptop again with one hand, holding it open to 120° everything lit up again, he carried it over to a corner chair & set it down, I blinked & he pulled what appeared to be a MacBook Air out of somewhere & proceeded to split time between watching both.

So, was it the new 16" MBP that lights up the whole exterior of the lid or what?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:54 pm 

If it really was Tim Cook, There is no telling what kind of
custom "Hot Rodded" Apple machinery he was carrying. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:lol: Indeed... seemed bigger than the 15" MBPs...anybody seen the 16" MBOs yet???

The exterior of the top lid only had a @ 1/2" unlit border around it... if it was a custom job it was exceptionally well done!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:38 pm 

Near as I can tell the 16" MBP continues Apple's recent trend of having unlit logos on their laptops.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, thanks MB, any idea when the last one was?Was it maybe a 17"er?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:52 pm 

The last one with a lit logo would have been a 15" and compared to the 10" MacBook Air the 15" would have seemed large. The 17s had lit logos but they were last made in 2011. On the other hand if it was a 2011 the hinge would likely be so worn out it couldn't hold it at any other angle besides fully open. The last 2011 17" I personally know of died a couple years ago, but the people at work aren't known for cleaning dust out of things.

You wouldn't believe the number of systems that have crossed my desk for "running slow" whose only problem was that they were so choked with dust they needed disassembly to get it all out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It's not well know, but apple sells very expensive Air Cleaners! ;)

Thanks MB, can't really trust my sight or depth perception/size/distance, but did any have the whole top lit light up? Could someone remove paint or such from the inside of the cover to make it happen?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:52 pm 

My first thought, upon finding that the 16s didn't appear to light up, was that it might have been a case or cover. Some of them diffuse the light from the logo to do interesting things.

It also might not have been an Apple laptop, a lot of PCs do the lit logo thing now, which is the real reason Apple doesn't want to keep doing it. If everyone's doing it then it's not cool anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, case! Maybe?

But it was the Apple logo with the bite out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:17 pm 

Yeah there's a lot of cool cases around that interact with the logo light, I could see one with a fiber optic effect spread the light to the edges of the case.

Personally my MBP has the logo covered but the case is semi-translucent and diffuses the logo to light up a light bulb graphic. I got it assuming it was solid and was pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, semi-translucent might be the clue!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:15 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The last one with a lit logo would have been a 15" and compared to the 10" MacBook Air the 15" would have seemed large. The 17s had lit logos but they were last made in 2011. On the other hand if it was a 2011 the hinge would likely be so worn out it couldn't hold it at any other angle besides fully open. The last 2011 17" I personally know of died a couple years ago, but the people at work aren't known for cleaning dust out of things.

You wouldn't believe the number of systems that have crossed my desk for "running slow" whose only problem was that they were so choked with dust they needed disassembly to get it all out.

--------
Now you know of another one:
I still have one and the hinges are still good and everything still works fine. :)
It is in pristine condition. I have several thunderbolt accessories for it as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:24 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
On the other hand if it was a 2011 the hinge would likely be so worn out it couldn't hold it at any other angle besides fully open.

I wonder if it was glued open, never did see it close even a bit when he was carrying it one handed on the hinge side in a V position.