XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 am 

A spinoff from this thread - run 2 Firefoxes? Macs slow since El Cap...
https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8310

WZZZ wrote:
Could be a new machine will make a difference, but I wouldn't run out and get something new before trying a different browser...

Thanks, as always, WZZZ, for your thoughtful advice.
I’m looking at Safari now.

Questions about security extensions?
https://safari-extensions.apple.com/?category=security

Adblock plus for Safari? I already installed it ages ago OR should I switch to Adblock Ultimate?

Is the the Safari Content blocking API thing is an issue?

Should I be using uBlock Origin instead?
https://safari-extensions.apple.com/det ... 3NU33NW2M3

OR JS Blocker? And does it do what noScript does (and Adblock Plus) - one or both?

I read on their forum that it can slow things down and generated a lot of CPU use - just what I don't need - but it's only a few guys talking about it, albeit one - I think - is the developer!
Here - the final paragraph is another concern - the API thing (which I really don't understand yet):
http://jsblocker.toggleable.com/

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 am 

ADDED another way to do this?
http://www.securityskeptic.com/2012/09/ ... oison.html
Near the bottom shows "How to Disable JavaScript from Safari's Develop Menu"
Is that one way around this?
Set it to disable, and then enable if needed - sort of like switching NoScript from do not Allow to Temporarily Allow on the address bar?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:44 am 

I use Adblock Plus with Safari, although I don't use Safari regularly. I wasn't able to locate the configuration options present in the Firefox version.

If you disable Javascript expect most of the websites you visit not to work. Modern websites lean on JS and will break when its disabled.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I use Adblock Plus with Safari, although I don't use Safari regularly. I wasn't able to locate the configuration options present in the Firefox version.

If you disable Javascript expect most of the websites you visit not to work. Modern websites lean on JS and will break when its disabled.

I have ABP installed in Safari with the same settings as Ff I think.
I installed JS Blocker which seems to work llike NoScript, sort of - as far as blocking and filtering - I think.

Noticeably faster that Firefox - Safari is, and I don't know why. I don't like Safari though, but it does seem to work better for EC on the iMac.
I'm going to try WZZZ's suggestion and test Waterfox and see how that goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:18 am 

µBlock Origin is better than ABP for Safari. But there's an unfortunate twist come Safari 12: Apple is no longer allowing non-Extension Gallery downloads to function in Safari. That means if you did not obtain the extension from the official extensions gallery, it won't run. Ever. It's disabled permanently. And Gallery support is only temporary. It's going to be removed in the not too distant future, making the only extensions allowed those directly from the app store itself. So if your favorite extensions' authors don't convert to the app store model, say bye bye to whatever you're using. Apple's going the Chrome route and only allowing extensions from the store in the future. Gonna be fun dealing with that, especially if you're a Netflix user as that site still uses Silverlight and will break entirely in Safari 12. Hopefully sites like that switch to HTML5, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:18 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
µBlock Origin is better than ABP for Safari...if you did not obtain the extension from the official extensions gallery, it won't run. Ever. It's disabled permanently. And Gallery support is only temporary...

Thanks Squishy Tia for the heads up.
I installed µBlock Origin and JS Blocker (the only thing I could find that seemed to do much of what NoScript does in Firefox) from here:

which I got to via the Apple < Safari Extensions menu item.

Hopefully I'll be OK with my install from there and hopefully those 2 extensions will work in the future.

We don't use Netflix or any other movie/streaming service so that won't be a problem - but who know what else might be.

Thanks again.
btw - do you know of anything other than/better than JS Blocker for NoScript type functions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:43 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Gonna be fun dealing with that, especially if you're a Netflix user as that site still uses Silverlight and will break entirely in Safari 12. Hopefully sites like that switch to HTML5, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
What?!?! Silverlight is EOL and will be completely retired by 2021. If they're not working on a backup plan they're going to be completely, totally screwed in a couple years. They've got to be working on something standards compliant. That or they're planning on telling their computer-based customers either leave or buy a STB.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:17 am 

Mrs H wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:
µBlock Origin is better than ABP for Safari...if you did not obtain the extension from the official extensions gallery, it won't run. Ever. It's disabled permanently. And Gallery support is only temporary...

I installed µBlock Origin and JS Blocker (the only thing I could find that seemed to do much of what NoScript does in Firefox) from here:

which I got to via the Apple < Safari Extensions menu item.

Hopefully I'll be OK with my install from there and hopefully those 2 extensions will work in the future.

We don't use Netflix or any other movie/streaming service so that won't be a problem - but who know what else might be.

Thanks again.
btw - do you know of anything other than/better than JS Blocker for NoScript type functions.

When the time comes that Safari 12 comes out, use the µBlock Origin dashboard to save your filters and preferences to text files on your desktop. That way when they make a Safari 12 "compatible" version of the extension you can just import your filters and preferences in a few clicks and be on your merry way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:21 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:
Gonna be fun dealing with that, especially if you're a Netflix user as that site still uses Silverlight and will break entirely in Safari 12. Hopefully sites like that switch to HTML5, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
What?!?! Silverlight is EOL and will be completely retired by 2021. If they're not working on a backup plan they're going to be completely, totally screwed in a couple years. They've got to be working on something standards compliant. That or they're planning on telling their computer-based customers either leave or buy a STB.

It gets worse. A conversation from a friend that uses netflix extensively:

Quote:
[6/7/18, 5:21:57 PM]: it seems netflix DOES support HTML5, just not if IOVARendererID is missing on gpu
[6/7/18, 5:22:03 PM]: which apparently it is with our out of date nivdia patches
[6/7/18, 5:22:12 PM]: hmm
[6/7/18, 5:22:39 PM]: DRM on netflix fails on html5. tons of diff solutions to fix it but not that are clean with our existing dsdts cause there is overlap
[6/7/18, 5:22:51 PM]: i need to figure out how to just patch DSDT with IOVARendererID
[6/7/18, 5:51:06 PM]: well after all research, i've determined it's not worth fixing. it requires 3 more kexts, tons of custom injecting and hacking, all because apple decided to limit the GPUs that can hardware decode DRM
[6/7/18, 5:51:49 PM]: would need lilu, nvidiagraphicsfixup, shaki kexts, would need to inject a fake ID into clover for gpu to pretend to be another GPU
[6/7/18, 5:52:10 PM]: I'd rather just never watch netflix again
[6/7/18, 5:52:17 PM]: once silverlight breaks
[6/7/18, 5:55:41 PM]: the bad part is, if cpu is ivy/newer, apple won't play any DRM music in itunes anymore unless valid decoder present, either IGP or gpu. currently they let software decoding work for our shitty haswells

So Netflix is breaking massively in OS X, especially for those not on Apple's "approved GPU list", meaning anything nVidia since they're in a fucked up spat with nVidia because NV won't give up full control of its graphics drivers and instead maintains support for non-Apple official GPUs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 pm 

Mrs H wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

Thanks again.

Thanks Squishy Tia for the advice. I copied your instructions to save for later when it becomes necessary to follow them.

Now, what do you use on Safari for NoScript type stuff - blocking or turning on and off JavaScript?

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:27 pm 

I haven't had to deal with any noscript type extensions yet on Safari, but I'm sure one of the others could recommend a (currently usable) good one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:58 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
I haven't had to deal with any noscript type extensions yet on Safari, but I'm sure one of the others could recommend a (currently usable) good one.

Thanks for the reply.
Others aren't. Seems not too many folks here (anywhere?) use Safari.
JS blocker seems to work thus far - we'll see....