XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm 
he who stacks pork

Hi there. I have a Hackintosh running OS X 10.11.6 that has a Blu-Ray drive in it. It is an LG “M DISC”. System Profiler it shows it as:
HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40:
Firmware Revision: 1.00
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 4064 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
BD-Write: -R, -RE
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

So, how do I use a Blu-Ray disc? DVD Player doesn’t recognize it. VLC doesn’t recognize it. Handbrake attempts to scan but comes back saying that there is nothing to see here, move along now. Meanwhile, the drive works great as a CDROM and DVD drive, but I believe I paid more with the idea that it would read Blu-Ray discs as well. I was hoping to be able to back up the Blu-Ray discs I legally own, using Handbrake, but so far I cannot even play them in Mac OS X; they seem to work under Windoze 8.1, but I would prefer not having to resort to Windoze.

When I drag the Blue-Ray icon from the desktop onto VLC, it pops up with this message:
Errors and Warnings
Blu-ray error
This Blu-ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your Input can’t be opened
VLC is unable to open the MRL ‘bluray:///Volumes/VOLUME_ID’. Check the log for details.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm 

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libaacs.html

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbdplus.html

Also, there's a Mac Blu-Ray player app that you can try. It allows for bitstream audio so you can get DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. No word on Atmos support, which is fairly new anyway.

Edit: Comparison of the Standard/Pro versions of the Blu-Ray player app. For the current measly $10 difference it'd be worth the pro app upgrade for 4K/full bitstream support.

Last edited by Squishy Tia on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Not sure about this, but...

http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=130923

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 am 

There is a Roxio/Toast plug-in that allows OSX to see/read/write to a Blu-ray disc:

http://www.roxio.com/eng/products/toast ... ments.html

It allows you to use BD-R (recordable - once) and BD-RE (recordable/erasable - many times). This driver, standing alone, gives you access to the 25GB data capacity of a BD (or 50GB, if dual layered).

It can be used (I believe) WITHOUT Toast, although it makes sense to buy (Toast+this driver) as a package.

Toast itself then also allows you to author HD video files into a disc image that is compatible with a set-top Blu-ray video player. Paradoxically, although Toast will burn such a disc on a Mac, it still can't playback a Blu-ray video disc it made on a Mac - seeing the files as "data" files only.

The BD video menu formatting available in Toast is workable, but limited.

Obviously some sort of licencing clusterf**k!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the details, long time no see! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 am 
he who stacks pork

Nice, thanks for all the resources. I’ll hopefully get to try this out sometime during the week.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am 

And never forget about the monkey:
http://www.dvdfab.cn/blu-ray-copy-for-mac.htm

If all else fails you could use that to convert it to a format that you can read.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:37 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’m going to give this a try in a little while this evening. My goal is to be able to use Handbrake to make a backup (I purchased the Blu-Ray in question from Fry’s for only $2.00, thanks to their daily promo codes :D ) that I can use in VLC, as I like to be able to access all my media with VLC rather than rely on I dunno, let’s say iTunes. :roll:

Wish me luck :fishsmack:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 pm 
he who stacks pork

Alrighty then!

I downloaded all of those items recommended for me to download. I have a bunch of folders with items in each of them. The sparse “documentation” I see within those links assumes I’m some computer science cybernerd, which I am not. I am not a software debeloper.

I made three directories at different levels on the hard disk called “~/lib”, and added the one file in there that’s supposed to go in there; not sure which one is the one that is making it work in VLC, but now the Blu-Ray disc plays in VLC, which is nice. :)

However, Handbrake crashes within a few seconds of my telling it to create a backup, and when it does, the Blue-Ray disc icon disappears from the desktop. I have restarted a few times and tried again, but the same thing happens.

Meanwhile, trying the trial version (until end of March 2017) of MakeMKV, and it is busy filling up my hard drive; hopefully I will figure out how to use this backup of the Blu-Ray it is creating so as to make a smaller and usable file within Handbrake.

Thanks

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 pm 
he who stacks pork

Ahhh, I see now (this should have been obvious :roll: ) MakeMKV is now making an MKV… I wonder how big the filesize will be. I might have to re-encode in Handbrake or something.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Ahhh, I see now (this should have been obvious :roll: ) MakeMKV is now making an MKV… I wonder how big the filesize will be. I might have to re-encode in Handbrake or something.

-he who stacks pork

The MKVs will be the sum total of your blu-ray's actual content size. So if the sum total of what's on the blu-ray is 50 GB, the folder contents MakeMKV creates will be 50 GB. Blu-ray, even though it's HD/4k, is already fairly compressed in terms of data as it's encoded in the 4:2:0 format just like DVDs are. You can get the bitrate down, but at the cost of video quality. There's no more color compression to be had with blu-ray without tangible degredation, hence why backups are nearly identical in size to the originals.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:22 pm 
he who stacks pork

Yes, seems as you have mentioned, that it backed up EVERYTHING. So I launched Handbrake, and loaded the appropriate full-length .MKV file and am now rendering it down to a more suitable/usable size (source was 25GB). Seems to be averaging 15.2 fps on my 3.4GHz quad-core i5 (would be cool if there was a way to use the graphics card for this, this particular Hackintosh has a Radeon HD 5870 afterall).

So when this is done, time to delete about 40GB of stuff I will no longer need.

-he who stacks pork