XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:23 pm 

Richard ,
Success! I remember the option screen to sync Music Library, Playlists, Movies, etc, but I saw it when selecting a device on the left side in iTunes, Of course that was on my MacBook 2,1 (OS X 10.6.8). I guess my iMac (OS X 10.12.3 really makes my MacBook archaic. Of course, I still use my G3/4 B/W PPC desktop at times. As a Stroke Survivor and retired, I have to make best with what I have. The MacBook was given to me by my son after he used it for several years. He also gave me his iPhone 4s. The PPC was given to me by a Community Group right after my Stroke, which I used to build a Web Site for them.

Anyway , enough of my story. I was able to successfully sync to an iPod touch (inherited from my Grandson, IOS 6.1.6); the iPhone and an iPad (my wife gave me for Christmas, three years ago.

One last question and you'll be rid of me. You had mentioned that you use the sync over wireless feature. Do you happen to know of any documentation that is available that I can read to better understand its value. Also, since I had to restore the iPod, would you happen to know if the Touch is capable of listening to podcasts and if there is a Podcast App. I know the iPhone has a Podcast App

Thank you for your valuable assistance in solving my my dilemma. You were very patient with me and I greatly appreciated it.

Thanks Again,
Darrell

)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:21 am 

Glad to help, and glad you have it figured out.

I believe you'll have better luck with the latest version of iTunes on newer hardware vs the G3! Still, it's pretty cool to read that someone is still using the PPC stuff, that's why this board is so interesting.

Sync over wifi is nice to do, iTunes has to be running on your mac of course. It's handy with a phone where you leave and come back a lot, things sync when the phone connects to the network. Once the option to sync over wifi is checked you CAN force a sync from iTunes. For example- you just downloaded some app updates to iTunes and you want to update your iOS devices without hunting them all down one at a time, you can select them from iTunes and hit 'sync.' You can also sync from the iOS device through Preferences->General-> iTunes Wi-Fi Sync.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203075

That's a brief overview of what it does.

It's handy, but not mandatory of course. I like to connect my devices on occasion to my iMac through the lightening cable because they get backed up onto the iMac that way.

As to podcasts- I bet you can get the podcast app (or a 3rd party one) for it if it is not already there. Can't imagine it would be different from the phone. Try searching the app store for it. I listen to podcasts on 3 different devices using iTunes on my iMac and the podcast app on iOS devices. Somehow I set it up for them to all be in sync with each other in that I can pick up from where I left off on another device. That works pretty well, sometimes podcasts I have already listened to still show up on another device as new but that's about all the issues I have had.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:24 pm 

Thanks Richard, most Podcast Apps in the Apple App Store have been minimum IOS 10, but I saw a couple for IOS 7, but when I tried to download any of them, it always said it would not download and I had to have the minimum IOS. I guess I could search the web