XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:01 pm 

I use Apple Mail for sending and receiving my Charter Email. I have no trouble sending or receiving mail from my home. But when I am away from my home, I can only receive incoming emails from Charter incoming server. I can not compose/reply or send outgoing mail. I must go through the charter.net website if I want to reply or compose a new email. I have checked and double checked Charter's required configuration for its SMTP Server and they are all configured the same for my home desktop/laptop computers and my IOS devices. Has anyone else experienced this dilemma and have they resolved this issue. I would appreciate any help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

The outgoing mail server is rejecting mail from your network address. Typically that happens when your mail service provider is also your ISP, and you connect to it from another network. The SMTP server will allow connections without a password from anywhere, but it will only relay mail from within the ISP's network

Try a different SMTP (outgoing) port number: If your email provider supports SSL, try changing the port from 25 (the default) to 465 and turning on the SSL option. If SSL is not supported (or for some reason it doesn't work), try port 587 and leave the SSL option off. These are the standard port numbers; if your email provider uses other numbers, use theirs instead.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143
IMAP-SSL is port 993
POP is port 110
POP-SSL is port 995
Outgoing ports are...
SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:53 am 

B,

Current setup on my iPad is:
Use SSL - ON
Authentication:Password
Port - 587

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Is it a charter->spectrum account?

http://www.charter.net/support/internet/email-settings/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:48 am 

I verified my settings to the link you recommended. I did not know there was a difference between Charter and Spectrum. I thought it was like Comcast, where Xfinity is just a branch name where internet, cable and phone fell under the Xfinity name. Did I miss something in the Charter doc that might have told me how to resolve my issue?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:17 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I don't think you missed anything at all… I found no obvious details that really say anything. Even their link I gave has no mention of spectrum in the URL! :confused:

Does it work now? Even @ home?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:07 pm 

B,

I am going to PDX for the Holidays and will try it then. I do not have a problem sending email from my computers or IOS devices when I am in G-Town. I will try making the appropriate changes to my MacBook 2,1 and iPad per your recommendation that you provided earlier. I am still open to any other recommendations if you have any.

Merry Christmas!
Darrell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:00 pm 

Spectrum is Charter+Brighthouse and that merger just started getting gung-ho the past month or two. All the Brighthouse trucks near me have been repainted/restickered Spectrum trucks, and they finally re-badged brighthouse.com as Spectrum. Woo. Can't wait for the next rate increase to pay for all this. :roll:

You'll probably want to specify 587 as the port to use with the appropriate authentication and encryption options enabled. When you're on their network it probably is defaulting to 25 and working because it allows you to send from port 25 while on their network. When you're away it still tries to use port 25 and fails, but never bumps over to 587.

We had this problem with Mail.app and one of our ISP's mail accounts, it works fine on port 25 at the site using that ISP, but anywhere else it failed to send email. But if we forced it to 587/SSL it would always go through, even when on their network.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:48 pm 

Monkey Boy or BDA,
I am away from my home trying to send email with the MacBook 2,1(OS X 10.6.8) and below is what I see:

Attachments:
Mail.tiff
Mail.tiff [ 509.8 KiB | Viewed 1036 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Click on outgoing server...

Account Type: POP/IMAP IMAP
Incoming Email Server: mobile.charter.net
Outgoing Email Server: mobile.charter.net

Don't you have the mobile one?

There is also edit SMTP list there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:32 am 

Merry Christmas B,
Am able to change port for your example for iPad (have not done it because I started with the MacBook 2,1 first). The example I gave above was for the MacBook 2,1 laptop, OS X 10.6.8

I have the information above for your recommendation including the Port 587 which was auto populated when I set up the Charter email account when I first set it up

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Have you tried the mobile settings on the MacBook?

That is the one we're having trouble with now isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:42 am 

It was actually both the iPad and MacBook that I was having trouble sending outgoing email. I also have my son's old iPhone 4S. I do not use it for mail because of data usage. My wife and I use consumer Cellular, which falls into our budget range.

Re: using new settings on the MacBook. The trouble I am having with the MacBook, is I can not find the SMTP Port info in the Mail preferences.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:33 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Mail>Preferences>Accounts, highlight account>Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), click on drop down, choose edit SMTP list>Advanced tab.

Don't ask me why it's so convoluted when all info needed for Mail could be in one simple dialog! :upset:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:55 pm 

B,

Re: Still having trouble with x704. I was able to delete that post ad I will try again to insert an image:

Attachments:
Mail3.tiff
Mail3.tiff [ 65.35 KiB | Viewed 1066 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Set it up for Spectrum…

http://www.charter.net/support/internet ... pple-mail/

Account Type: POP/IMAP IMAP
Incoming Email Server: mobile.charter.net
Outgoing Email Server: mobile.charter.net
Sign In Information
User Name: YourUsername@charter.net
Password: The password you use to sign in to your email account
More Settings
Incoming Server (IMAP): 993
Outgoing Server (SMTP): 587
SSL: This setting should be ON for both SMTP and IMAP.
Requires Authentication: Yes, or checked. (Use same settings as my incoming mail server)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 am 

Would it be your recommendation then to delete the accounts on the iPad and MacBook and start all over following the spectrum link you provided or just change the Port Numbers?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

No need to do anything on the iPad… it works away from home right?

If it were me I'd just try editing the present account on the Mac, not only the port numbers but the servers…

mobile.charter.net

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:37 pm 

Yes everything works right at home.

Both the iPad and the MacBook do not send outgoing mail. I will try the try the MacBook first and if I can send outgoing mail, I will change the iPad next

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:48 am 

By the way, you can use the iPhone 4S without using cellular data.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201299

When configured this way it'll only use WiFi for data.

I would copy down your old incoming/outgoing server names before deleting the account, just in case they don't work and you want to put them back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:50 pm 

I want to thank Monkey Boy for his contribution. But. I would especially thank BD Aqua for all the research he did in resoling my issue.

To all the Mac users who use Charter Communication as their Email Server, do not ever believe them when they say the problem is not at their end. BD Aqua was able to locate a URL that outline steps to resolve my issue. At first I thought I could just change the outgoing Server Port. I encountered problems right away. Charter kept denying my password for mobile.charter.net. I found that deleting my original Email account and then creating a new accountwas the answer. Note: In my case, I had to create my Account twice because after populating the email and password entries, Charter attempts to connect to the server. When I received notification that Charter could not verify my account, it asked if I wanted to continue to create the account but I might have problems sending outgoing mail. I decided to start from scratch again and this time Charter was able to connect with the Server and established the account. Do not give up

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:03 pm 
Master

Thanks for summarizing your solution. Glad to hear it's working.

- Anonymous