XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am 
Team Towel Guy

Folks:

Got a couple hours into this one . . . trying to print from an old epson stylus Photo R320 hand me down printer . . . in the new SSD cloned from a 10.13 partition in an HDD . . . next door. I kept trying to Add the printer, plugged in via USB cable, the printer shows up, when I click on that it loads but then shows an error, "the software for this printer is not found in Apple software, contact the manufacturer" . . . .

So I went to Epson site and Downloads . . . for the R320 unit, Epson says, "Apple should have this software, and to use App Store to get the updates" . . . went through that a couple of times, there IS a "security update" waiting, but because I have linux on various partitions I didn't want to run that . . . nothing about Epson updates showing in the Security updates . . . .

Gave up on the SSD, pretty sure I had added this printer in the HDD, so I rebooted into 10.13 in the HDD, and tried to print . . . printer wasn't showing, clicked "Add printer" . . . the spinning beachball started spinning, and it says, "We need to download the drivers for this printer . . . doing that now" . . . takes a minute . . . done deal, the "stylus photo r320" driver was showing in the "use this" window . . . after some other fiddling I printed my document . . . .

Went back to the SSD clone . . . tried again to "add printer" . . . again got the "we don't have no stinkin' software, check with Epson" . . . went to Epson, this time added the "Epson Software Utility" app . . . updated itself twice . . . checked for software, showed about 10 items . . . I installed them . . . . Again tried to "Add printer" . . . same nonsense with the driver, logged out, logged back in, rebooted, shut the printer down . . . tried again to Add Printer . . . this time it showed a whole bunch of printer drivers to pick from manually . . . none of them for any "photo" printer let alone R320 . . . ????

I tried the next one after "Epson 24 pin" which was "wf-100" . . . instead of words it looks like "Unicode"???? Tried another driver for another series, to print one page . . . and it pulled in a bunch of paper with Unicode like symbols spread across the pages????

I didn't seem to have this kind of problem in linux to add this printer, or I think I've been able to print from this SSD from my wife's newer epson via the internet . . . but for some reason this system isn't able to find the right drivers or Add . . . however the HDD version was able to find the printer, add the driver and get the job done, all by itself??? Some kind of cloning error?

Or the new SSD doesn't recognize "old stuff"?????? Wha happen mon??? printer fall down??? This isn't "Defcon 5" level, as I have printed the doc, but I was trying to get this SSD as the daily driver, because it is pretty fast, much faster than the HDD side in OSX 10.13+ . . . .

TTG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Check this folder on both...

/Library/Printers

InstalledPrinters.plist
Brother
Icons
Okidata
EPSON
Canon
PPDs
InstalledPrinters.plist.bak

Or... /Users/YourUserName/Library/Printers

Brother MFC-290C.app
Brother HL-3170CDW series @ im24.app
Brother MFC-J497DW.app
OKI DATA CORP C3400.app

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:25 am 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
Check this folder on both...

/Library/Printers

InstalledPrinters.plist
Icons
EPSON
Canon
PPDs
InstalledPrinters.plist.bak

Or... /Users/YourUserName/Library/Printers

EPSON Stylus Photo R320.app

EPSON WF-3730 Series.app

So "odd" because I thought I "-" the R320 because the drivers weren't loading, but apparently it's "there"???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Nd you double click on EPSON Stylus Photo R320.app,,, what happens?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:17 pm 
Team Towel Guy

It says "Printer service not available" . . . .

But, over in >System Pref >Printers it isn't added, and still doesn't think the software is available . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think the OS is partially missing or corrupt, but...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:10 pm 
Team Towel Guy

That is possible . . . as I did clone this system using the ancient version of CCC . . . and there have been some problems with user accounts that get moved over . . . I have one that isn't responding to the right password, etc.

But, I have an "admin" account and then a "user" that has admin privileges . . . and I checked both of those earlier before posting.

I did add the new admin account, and logging in, same thing . . . trying to add the printer, fails to find the right driver, the "add" button remains greyed out . . . .

Any tricks to try, or, geep, I would have to actually buy the newer CCC, or what was the suggestion in another thread to clone with, used to be a paid app, not tinker toy??? Forget now . . . I have installer flash drives, but I think even 10.13 was installing as APFS format in the SSD . . . but should I nuke/pave it all, and then try a fresh 10.12 install to keep the HFS+ formatting?? I would perhaps have to "re-burn" the 10.12 installer, I think I tried it when I first got this drive and the "time/date" thing declined the install . . . . Point being all of that is a process . . . I might just "live on with the rot and corruption" of the install and live with being printerless with my own printer???? :upset: :bonk:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Rename your old CCC so it doesn't get destroyed, try the newer version, I think it works for free for awhile.

Yes, 30 day free trial on the new version.

https://bombich.com/download

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:54 pm 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
Rename your old CCC so it doesn't get destroyed, try the newer version, I think it works for free for awhile.

Yes, 30 day free trial on the new version.

https://bombich.com/download

@BD:

OK, it's not like it's outrageously expensive, I've just been trying to do as much as possible "open source" . . . . So 'splain it to me again Lucy . . . the SSD doesn't like "deep cleaning" it just likes an "adjustment" on the formatting???

And is that like the "quick erase" on the HDD, where all it does is "wipe the headers"??? so all the files and such are "there," it's just that there is no "there" anymore, it's been moved??? but the "data" is still occupying "spaces"???

I asked this similar question on another one of my threads, because I have in ubuntu an app that prepares usb flash drives for installing distro iso files, and it has a "quick wipe" or "slow wipe" choice, the slow choice is supposed to be "deep cleaning" . . . and is that not what an SSD is??? a "flash drive"????

But it seems like that doesn't matter in the SSD world, just run it to ground . . . . I had the idea that if I formatted the partition to "exFAT" . . . I could boot over to one of my ubuntu installs and run "mkusb" to do a "deep clean" . . .??? and then boot into one of my OSX DUs and format it as "HFS+" and then try another clone over???

Too much effort for too little "reward"???? I would just be trying to "drain the swamp" and bury the rot and corruption with zeros????? Stop Dave . . . please stop . . . Dave???? Dave???? stop . . . please . . . . :classic-eek: :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek: :emphatic-eek:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You can set CCC so it only replaces files that are different or files that don't exist on the Source.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:19 pm 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
You can set CCC so it only replaces files that are different or files that don't exist on the Source.

Ah, OK, you are suggesting to just "update" the clone with a fresh edition of CCC . . . rather than nuke n pave . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:26 am 
Team Towel Guy

OK. That's what I'll do . . . later on today . . . or so.

[edit: Found the post from MB on my other thread about SSD care and feeding:
Quote:
You could also use Super Duper. Its free. If you want to incrementally update the destination then you buy a license (might be other paid features, I forget), but basic erase destination and copy its got downpat for free.

I think last time I did an HFS+ SSD I first installed 10.10 on the SSD so it'd have a recovery partition, then I used dd to overwrite the 10.10 recovery with 10.13 recovery, then finally ran super duper to bring the 10.13 install over. Worked, just took a while.
[/edit]

[edit2] Well it looks like going "unregistered" in SD only provides "erase and copy" function, not, "match the source and update" . . . guess I'll compare the pricings on CCC vs SD "registered." [/edit]

[edit3] I went with CCC4 and cloning over from the HDD to SSD the newer version took 47 minutes to "find and repair broken packages" . . . and move an "extra" 3.5 GB of data over to the SSD . . . . Took a couple of restarts to get it operational, but, since the printer had been added to the source yesterday it is fully functional in the clone!!! Only thing missing is the internet linked printer . . . but, should be simply to add it back in. I have to say that CCC is a "good app" . . . prolly shouldn't have waited so long to upgrade it because it has been very handy over the years . . . I'll try for the education discount when I get there . . . . [/edit]