XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:24 pm 

I know Anti virus Programs have been declared tabu for as long as I can remember. Word of Mouth has always said Apple will take care of any virus that is affecting their Operating System. Recently I read an article in Apple News entitled Mac Protection
https://securitysaversonline.com/protec ... 7X21iCxpUU.

I would like to know this Panel’s opinion of this article and whether this is something we, MAC Users should consider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 pm 

I use Malwarebytes free version. It never finds anything. But it's there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:11 am 

Notice at the very top of that page it says "Advertisement". That's an instant red flag as to their intentions. After reading most of that page the whole thing sound exactly like every other snake oil seller of Mac protection and repair software such as MacKeeper. It also purports to be free but if you read some of the reviews (to which they do not actually provide an active link) you will see complaints about being enticed into installing it with "free" and then later being charged.

Just reading the thing made me cringe.

I agree with Juansolo. Malwarebytes free version but it has yet to discover anything on my computer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 am 

Also highly recommended Mawarebytes Browser Guard

https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/

Note, it might ask for your email address on install. If it does, just use any fake address, it doesn't care. Could be blahblah@crapmail.com.

For malwarebytes free, not sure which version is being recommended. The current v.4.0 which at end of trial after 15 days, reverts from on-access to scan on demand, but still involves a fair amount of CPU resources and no longer needed files. The "Premium" version is also rather expensive at $80/year.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/

On the other hand, the version that I believe Limnos is referring to is the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, v. 1.3.1, which the developer claims is no longer supported. However, on launch it still does load new definitions. So not sure just how "unsupported" it really is.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en- ... re-for-Mac

download

https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/mbam-mac-1.3.1.dmg

Last edited by WZZZ on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 am 

WZZZ wrote:

Is that free? Unfortunately all they say on their site is "free download" which I always view as a somewhat underhanded way to get you to download something and install it, only to then discover it is payware. Then you have to uninstall it and the whole "free" thing has wasted 20 minutes of your life. Of course downloading almost anything is quasi-"free" so I just see somebody saying "free download" as somebody trying to trick the unsuspecting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 am 

Limnos wrote:
WZZZ wrote:

Is that free? Unfortunately all they say on their site is "free download" which I always view as a somewhat underhanded way to get you to download something and install it, only to then discover it is payware. Then you have to uninstall it and the whole "free" thing has wasted 20 minutes of your life. Of course downloading almost anything is quasi-"free" so I just see somebody saying "free download" as somebody trying to trick the unsuspecting.

Yeah, in my experience perfectly free. Not a trial or a teaser. They do show something about getting "Full" protection -- which means the expensive "premium" version" for Mac or Windows, but that can just be ignored. The "premium" on-access version, just installs too much crap everywhere -- I tried it once and then removed all that junk.

Please see my fully edited post above.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.48.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.48.35 AM.png [ 206.7 KiB | Viewed 177 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:24 am 

I downloaded the browser guard to have a look. Note that it says the newest version requires Firefox 57+ which means theoretically it does not work on my Waterfox Classic. However, it shows the kind of window WZZZ pictured so maybe it is working. The thing is, I still have items such as uBlock Origin and Ghostery running so I will have to disable those to see exactly how good a job it does. As far as I could tell from reading the site the features it said it blocked were ones pretty much being blocked already by those tools. It also doesn't seem to have any settings apart from some general ones and one nice things about uBlock is its list of tools for addressing specific things such as zapping specific elements.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:04 am 

Yeah, except for scams, malware, pups, pretty much redundant if you have uBO or uMatrix. What I like about it is it's easy to see trackers at a glance. WF will complain not compatible, but it does seem to work reliably there, even the latest version. Only issue will be you won't see updates in WF. Those I bring over from FF, which I'm mostly on since WF was sold to System1. But wouldn't expect it to zap elements -- not its function.

Did test it against a known scam site, which it immediately blocked. Haven't seen it block any "real" malware, but almost all Mac malware these days is adware.

Decided to disable Ghostery, since I'm aleady running uBO and uMatrix, in addition to NoScript.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:16 am 

It would also be nice to know what some of the blocked sites actually do. For example, there's a red bug next to one of mine. I'm guessing it is an ad server but I don't see a key to what's what.

Edit: Okay, it's under the "statistics" tab. Interesting. It says that the social media site NextDoor has tried to send me malware 4 times in the past half hour or so from vendorlist.consensu.org. False positive?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:31 am 

Limnos wrote:
It would also be nice to know what some of the blocked sites actually do. For example, there's a red bug next to one of mine. I'm guessing it is an ad server but I don't see a key to what's what.

Edit: Okay, it's under the "statistics" tab. Interesting. It says that the social media site NextDoor has tried to send me malware 4 times in the past half hour or so from vendorlist.consensu.org. False positive?

Haven't come across that, but a few reviewers are noting false positives.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... s/reviews/

Screenshot?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:26 am 

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 12.23.35.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 12.23.35.JPG [ 60.9 KiB | Viewed 160 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:54 am 

Malware bytes is good, but it won't find Windows Viruses
that may be hiding on your Mac. I used to use ClamXav for
that until they began charging $$ for it.

Avira has a free antivirus for Mac. I use that now. It's
good at finding both Mac Malware and Windows Malware
and Viruses. It really hasn't found much in the way of Mac Malware
on my Mac except for some snoop-ware embedded in some
free video players I use. I keep it around mostly to check
stuff I bundle up for friends and associates
before I send the stuff out by email or upload it.

You will have to Google for the free version as Avira hides it
pretty well from their main web site. Avira is really good at finding
viruses and malware in your email attachments too. I drag any email
attachment(s) (that I wish to open) to my desktop first and scan them
with Avira before opening them.

To scan a file or folder after installing Avira, right click on it to bring
up context menu, highlight Services, select Scan with Avira

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 pm 

Checked virustotal for vendorlist.consensu.org. Get one hit as malicious from crdf.fr.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 4.07.17 PM.png [77.66 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Checked nextdoor.com. Get no hits from virustotal, but come up with this buzzfeed article.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ni ... door-scams

Reminded me that I've probably gotten several snail mails from someone nearby who wanted me to join. Ignored both.

But no idea why nextdoor.com is coming up for you. Did you ever join?

Basically getting nowhere fast with this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm 

Thanks for the information. As far as I can remember it has been 8 years since I last sent anything other than a .jpg to a Windows user. When I was employed in research I did more document swapping but since then I probably have correspondence with about 15 people in the world. If I send them text it isn't Word, it's simple .txt. i haven't swapped a spreadsheet since 2006. I'll occasionally download a mp3 or .mp4 but I haven't heard of anything being packed with those. Maybe there is something nasty for Windows on my Mac but It is not going to do anything here (I don't run Windows), and it is unlikely to be sent to anybody.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think https://nextdoor.com/ & others of the same ilk started out kind of like a good grass roots idea, but then became targets for scammers. like Craigslist.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:45 pm 

WZZZ. Oh yes, I joined. It is kind of handy finding references for local repair people, asking questions about where to get things, etc. Of course its a bit rabid right now. Ask where to get your prescription filled because all the local pharmacies are shut down due to the demonstration damaging them and people ask you why you're only interested in exercising your white privilege and not standing up for George Floyd. Same goes for complaining about the local post office being burned down, or grocery stores. "Oh, you're only interested in your white privilege and who cares, those places can afford to rebuild!" Well, sorry but when I go to the post office I am often the only non-black/asian/hispanic person in there and I bet some were bummed when their benefits checks went up in flames. And all those places that can afford to rebuild being gone right now is why there are many food shelves daily in the area serving those same communities, plus a tent community in a local park with almost exclusively black people made homeless when the rentals above smaller minority-owned stores were burned. Oh, and fireworks are illegal in MN but many were being set off right now, so people were complaining. But if you say they are illegal and people should stop because it is:- 1) Scaring people with PTSD, 2) Scaring pets, 3) It gets really tiresome at 2 in the morning, and, 4) It is illegal after-all, then you're seen not wanting to let people celebrate Juneteenth, ergo, white privilege.

Anyway, back to topic, yes that was when I was logged into ND and viewing its page.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 pm 

Whenever I encounter a problem user who's infected themselves I put Malwarebytes on their system. It'll run in trial mode with real-time scanning for 30 days. After that it reverts to scan-only mode which is how I normally use it. So long as you're not downloading software from websites left and right you generally don't need it but I normally interact with people who have little to no computer sense who can't help infecting themselves in their zeal to get something for free.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 pm 

Indeed.