XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:12 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:
Latest update:
. . . . I don't know whether adding more than the 16 GB RAM I have on my '12 Mac Pro would improve the 10.14/15 system's ability to sleep???? I'm sure the machine "would use it" . . . but, trying to keep the power draw as "reasonable" as possible on my gas guzzler cMP . . . V8 engine with the Quad-core throttle body fuel injection . . . so the "miserly" version of the V8 package.

----
You could reset sleep mode with (pmset) to file mode (/private/var/vm/sleepimage) and
see if your Mac sleeps okay when writing the sleep file to disk.
In terminal:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25

If that doesn't help something else is wrong.

To change it back:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Like Tia Said: "Sleep doesn't work right on any Mac unless all things are aligned properly."

To see your Power Management settings:
pmset -g

Note: The sleepimage file on my cMP (Sierra) is normally about 18GB (with all programs closed
before sleep). It's 34 GB from the last shutdown (because of a lightning storm-no time to exit programs).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 pm 

If you are using an SSD you don't want to be writing the sleep image to disk. It will be the entirety of your RAM, including the empty bits. Worrying about power on after sleep outside of the usual Apple related bugs is pointless. RAM doesn't eat a lot of juice when returning to a fully powered state. Current inrush is minimal. You're talking 1.5v or 3.3v (at worst) and not a lot of amperage. RAM wasn't designed to carry a ton of amps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 pm 

Yeah there is no real power difference between 2GB modules and 8GB modules. 8 doesn't use 4 times as much power, it uses the same, because there are usually exactly the same number of chips, they're just denser on the larger module. Instead of 1Mb chips it's 4Mb chips, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:43 am 
Team Towel Guy

OK, thanks again for the replies . . . I did adjust the hibernatemode number, possibly to 3??? in both my 10.13 and 10.15 installs, in the 13 it "works" pretty well; in the 15 it really doesn't. It's OK, I don't use the 15 for much of anything, possibly for iCloud accessing at some point?

But,OK, learning is a process, I try to get the gist of the hardware stuff w/o being a total PITA . . . just a partial . . . so it sounds like it isn't the "capacity" that pulls the juice, it's the number of sticks, each stick has a certain draw??

So, I have 4 4's I believe, and that would pull basically the same as 4 8's would, if I were to go there? So, the big power suck is the CPU and/or the GPU??