XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 pm 

Bought a 6 core 3.46Mhz processor for £65 delivered to replace my 4 core 2.8Mhz processor. Bish, bash, bosh, and it's in in 10 mins.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 20.19.11.png
Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 20.19.11.png [ 82.79 KiB | Viewed 1955 times ]

Pisspotically easy to do.

- processor drawer out
- 5 allen bolts to loosen (need a long allen key for it, it's the only tool)
- Heatsink off (give it a clean while it's off, clean off the thermal compound)
- Processor swap, add some spooge.
- Heatsink back on, tighten bolts, slide in tray.
- Job done.

Can't think why I hadn't done this before now. Cheap and significant boost in performance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:54 am 

It's made a hell of a difference to certain things. Trying to play 4k77 would max out the old 4 core 2.8 processor and it'd glitch, this thing runs at around 25% across the 6 cores, only peaking to around 70% when scanning around the film. Any video encoding is staggeringly quicker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:30 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Interesting speed diff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:03 am 

I got a greater speed boost than jaunsolo when upping my
8 core 2.4g (2x4) cpu's to the 12 core 3.46g (2x6) cpu's.
Going from 2.4g to 3.46g was a bigger boost than 2.8g
going to 3.46g.

99.9% of my software doesn't use more than 6 cores anyway
(usually 4 cores or so).

A six core running at 3.46g is for all practical purposes
for the average consumer, just as fast as the 2x6 3.46g 12 core on
the 2010-2012 cMP's and consumes less power too.

The newest Tech Tool pro is the only software I have that can actually
make full use of all twelve cores and of course, it sees only occasional
usage. Not only that, only a couple of its tools actually come close
to loading those 12 cores very heavily.

Unless someone is into heavy video/picture creation/editing or
serious server duty, most of the time those extra cores are doing
little more than just sitting pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:58 am 

Yup, there's very little I run that spanks it. 4k video was unplayable before as it's not got the hardware decoding for it so it's raw CPU. Well I say unplayable it'd max the CPU for a while then start glitching (I assume when thermal throttling kicks in). I do occasional video encoding and light editing where it's really noticable. I haven't done much in Photoshop of late, but I expect that will also be a bit quicker at certain tasks. The rest of the time, yup, it doesn't really make much difference. Still when you can slap that extra horsepower in there for bugger all money, it'd be rude not to ;)

The same applies to the NVMe drive in there vs an SSD on the SATA bus in reality. The numbers from benchmarking it are equally impressive as those from the CPU, but in reality, things load a little bit quicker... You don't really notice it day to day, especially as all my data sits on spinners.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 pm 

Data sitting on spinners has little effect on perceived speed unless files
are very large or you are doing backups.

The OS however is a different story, much overall speed to be gained
using fast media.

All my data sits on spinners. If dealing with video creating/editing
I do that on fast media, move it to spinners when done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:08 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’ve got the 3.2 in my 2012 but really want the dual CPU tray to put two 3.46s in there. Not sure if it will be 20% better than what I have now (for the price) but modern silicon-loving homo sapiens are stricken with chronic upgrade-itis. Eventually do the firmware upgrade so SSDs actually get out of their own way too… but will the computer still be relevant in two years? :confused:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:49 pm 

I'll probably end up with a 2010 soon, so I'm hoping the dual CPU trays on eBay drop in price to reasonable levels.

I could upgrade to a 12-core Ryzen 16GB system for less than it'd cost me to buy a dual CPU tray, and that'd be a damn bit more useful to me.

At its heart its a PC, you could always keep it going by running Linux on it. Or Windows. Apple however seems fixated on getting ready to charge their ARM windmill, so the chance of that being an option is vanishingly small in the long term.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, ARM & T2 sure seem to spell the end of Hackintoshes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:15 am 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
I’ve got the 3.2 in my 2012 but really want the dual CPU tray to put two 3.46s in there. Not sure if it will be 20% better than what I have now (for the price) but modern silicon-loving homo sapiens are stricken with chronic upgrade-itis. Eventually do the firmware upgrade so SSDs actually get out of their own way too… but will the computer still be relevant in two years? :confused:

-he who stacks pork

I hope so because there's nothing modern that I would want to replace it with. I'd have thought that with it being able to run Mojave no problem, that at least see it being relevant for 2-3 years more at the very least. It's certainly quick enough for me in day to day use. But then it's been a long time since I've run anything close to an up to date machine. I went from a 2008 to this 2010, and with the mods it's really quite a step up for me, so I'm happy in blissful ignorance when it comes to modern kit ;) As for the dual tray, I just don't do anything that would load up 24 threads often enough to warrant it. Fun to do it because it's not that expensive to do so, but not really that practical.

Last edited by juansolo on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:16 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Yeah, ARM & T2 sure seem to spell the end of Hackintoshes.

T2 for me spells the end of Macintoshes also. I wouldn't want to own a machine that becomes a paperweight when the SSD drive dies.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Indeed, so secure you can't get into it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:38 pm 

juansolo wrote:
T2 for me spells the end of Macintoshes also. I wouldn't want to own a machine that becomes a paperweight when the SSD drive dies.
You're supposed to buy Applecare so if anything happens for 3 years it's covered and then after 3 years they expect you to buy a new system.

It's like iPhones but, amazingly, they're even more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:54 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I'll probably end up with a 2010 soon, so I'm hoping the dual CPU trays on eBay drop in price to reasonable levels.

I could upgrade to a 12-core Ryzen 16GB system for less than it'd cost me to buy a dual CPU tray, and that'd be a damn bit more useful to me.

At its heart its a PC, you could always keep it going by running Linux on it. Or Windows. Apple however seems fixated on getting ready to charge their ARM windmill, so the chance of that being an option is vanishingly small in the long term.

You might be interested to know that their are Ryzen APU and Navi references in the latest versions of OS X. This would make that high PCIe lane count Ryzen system look very appealing. Especially those who are in the enthusiast crowd and can afford to get a Threadripper system going.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 am 

Well I've finally abandoned Mojave. Just niggly things with it and this machine. Not sure how much of that is just Mojave having bugs that were never fixed (I suspect most of it is that), but I've but the bullet and regressed to High Sierra. Which took longer than expected. One thing after another really.

First my bootable image didn't work (after I'd blown away Mojave and flattened the drive) saying that the 'application was damaged and cannot be installed'. Which it turns out is nonsense and is because it's an old download of HS I had and it's certificate had expired. Seems this is a thing now. Only options are to reset the date/time on the computer and disconnect it from the internet completely, or download a new one. Luckily I have a MBP and built a new install USB from a fresh download. Still, time expiring OS installs. That's a bit bloody annoying!

Then of course my Photos and iTunes libraries couldn't just be copied over... I expected that however and had extracted them all manually before I flattened the drive. That was fun restoring those. Indeed rebuilding my 512GB iPod is always fun, that takes about a day. Left it going over night and it had failed this morning. Starting that again...

What I am planning to do when all this is back stable again is to swap out the 7950 with a Palit GTX1050 Ti KalmX. I've loaded up the nVidia drivers already and will just run it on my 1060 for a bit just to make sure all is well before I order it. But the above card is the fastest passively cooled card there is and seems a nice fit for the age/performance of the cMP. Gonna give that a go next and see what happens.