XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:46 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Apple slammed the door on cMPs with Catalina due to the lack of firmware updates. And so that Mac Pro owners will buy the new Mac Pro using a portion of their Scrooge McDuck gold coin swimming pools. So Mojave is the end of the line.
I've run both Blue, Evo, and lesser known far cheaper brands and I can honestly see why the Evo costs more. Their migration tool alone is worth the price difference for Windows systems. The Blue is slower but far less tempermental and still way fater than the far cheaper options.

Honestly I wonder if you could use Hackintosh tools to put 10.15 on a cMP.

@MB:

Thanks for the info . . . a buddy at work has been trying to get linux running on his computers following some pointers from me, and he seemed to get into "trouble" with Boot Camp, and then said, "I had no choice but to upgrade to Catalina" . . . he has an older iMac and a newer MBPro Air?? So he must have playing with the Air to get Catalina running??

But, that is an interesting question on the Hackintosh tools and 10.15 . . . that might be worth fiddling with, since I find 10.14 to be "not ready for prime time" . . . .

BDAqua wrote:
Is there a Terminal command to query if trimforce is enabled or not?

@BD: I believe there is, that was somewhat "humor" on my part, going back to the story with the '09 MBP and getting trimforce going on the different partitions of my "860 EVO"???? that I had cut up and have 10.6 in the first, now 10.11 in the second and some linux flavor in the third. We discussed here whether "trimforce" would have to be enabled in ALL of the partitions, and for 10.11 it should be OK by terminal command, and same in linux--didn't check that command after I upgraded to the 10.11 from the 10.9 that I did do some "trimforce" command on . . . but then I saw some post that said that "trimforce runs through the whole disk when it runs, it isn't restricted by partitions" . . . so I just let the 10.6 partition go "un-trimforced" because this McScrooge McDuck didn't want to pay for some app to get "trimforce" going in that older partition that I don't use very often . . . .

I'll have to check into the tonymacx86 site to see if they can give some insight into getting 10.15 going, I saw it was available in the App Store on 10.14, but it didn't load up as "an update ready to install" . . . so I figured the cMP wasn't making the cut.

eet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks eep... if Mojave isn't ready for Prime Time you've got an education about what NOT ready for Prime Time means! :D :lol: :fishsmack: :bonk:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:56 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Thanks eep... if Mojave isn't ready for Prime Time you've got an education about what NOT ready for Prime Time means! :D :lol: :fishsmack: :bonk:

@BD:

Not sure what you is sayin' . . . do you mean that Mojave is pretty dang good, or do you mean that going through the video card upgrade to get the unit to "qualify" for Mojave, separate SSD to hold the "highest iteration of OSX available on the planet" . . . to then have teething problems with basic function like sleep . . . and then (Yes Squishy Tia did say this back when) to only have the computer qualify for one system upgrade . . . that was an "education" . . . learned, or not learned . . . for continuing to sucker in to the Apple mantra . . . "newer is better, don't hold onto your old machines . . . don't waste money on upgrading them" because we are going to drop you like a hot rock in the next minute . . . . :confused:

All I can say is . . . linux . . . getting better and better . . . and still "reasonably" priced . . . just a matter of time.

So I think I have a Mercury Electra 3G??? in my cMP right now, which is fine, but any problems with putting another brand in another slot, and best bang for buck is the EVO, or best bang for buck is the Blue??

eep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:30 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
do you mean that Mojave is pretty dang good

Have not tried it & unable to, but with reading a few hundred posts about Catalina Problems I can't imagine anyone that does ANYTHING with their Mac that Apple hasn't provided for wanting it for an OS. Most everything is off limits, a few workarounds with considerable work & knowledge have been found.

I went for the WD Blue SSD because at the time it was considerably cheaper than any other 2TB SSD.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:44 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
do you mean that Mojave is pretty dang good

Have not tried it & unable to, but with reading a few hundred posts about Catalina Problems I can't imagine anyone that does ANYTHING with their Mac that Apple hasn't provided for wanting it for an OS. Most everything is off limits, a few workarounds with considerable work & knowledge have been found.

I went for the WD Blue SSD because at the time it was considerably cheaper than any other 2TB SSD.

@BD:

Ah, yeah, well, kind of "sad" in a sense, compared to back when where Apple was the quirky choice for "creatives" . . . I guess I'll keep the 10.14 system going unless I can "hack" 10.15 into it--just to have access to iCloud for a tad bit longer.

OK, so I would guess that for 2TB the price would be high . . . I don't really need a huge drive, I just have "drive dysmorphic disorder" where the impulse to "cut the drive into pieces" becomes overwhelming . . . so another 500 GB might be enough to fit a few more variations of linux onto . . . have a"pure" linux drive so that I don't have to worry about OSX security updates messing with Grub, etc. I think in some ways my C2D MBPro with the EVO drive is faster getting around the GUI than my cMP with the olde fashioned spinning drive, possibly a WD? Seat o the pants . . . since I don't spend very much time in my Mercury SSD I don't have any feeling about it--it's "fine" but possibly was more $ for a smaller drive than the EVO????

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I went with 2TB mostly on account of wanting to have a number of VMs, right now it uses 1,459,440,263,288 Bytes with 539.96 GB free... but I'm a hoarder & Pack Rat. :coffee:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I went with 2TB mostly on account of wanting to have a number of VMs, right now it uses 1,459,440,263,288 Bytes with 539.96 GB free... but I'm a hoarder & Pack Rat. :coffee:

Me too . . . not proud of it . . . but I also like "speed" and "efficiency" for a reasonable price . . . in a Mac . . . . :roll: :shock: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:35 am 

I bought 2 1TB SSD's from microcenter and installed them on my
Areca Raid in Raid 0.

https://www.microcenter.com/brand/4294814266/inland-professional

So far so good. I was burning up samsung 850 Pro's in a year or so. I figured what
the heck, and bought the extended warranty from microcenter and let 'em rip.

At 80 bucks a pop and a cheap extended warranty, I figured I couldn't lose. :)

Performance so far is good. I'm impressed - haven't seen any smoke yet.
They are kickin' Butt in Raid 0.

I sent the 850's back to samsung for warranty replacement.
I've put them a my thunderbolt box for my laptop. They have 10 year warranty.
Maybe the laptop won't wreck 'em.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:43 am 

kjk555 wrote:
I bought 2 1TB SSD's from microcenter and installed them on my
Areca Raid in Raid 0.

https://www.microcenter.com/brand/4294814266/inland-professional

So far so good. I was burning up samsung 850 Pro's in a year or so. I figured what
the heck, and bought the extended warranty from microcenter and let 'em rip.

At 80 bucks a pop and a cheap extended warranty, I figured I couldn't lose. :)

Performance so far is good. I'm impressed - haven't seen any smoke yet.
They are kickin' Butt in Raid 0.

I sent the 850's back to samsung for warranty replacement.
I've put them a my thunderbolt box for my laptop. They have 10 year warranty.
Maybe the laptop won't wreck 'em.

@kjk555:

Thanks for that post, prices look reasonable and if they are in SoCal that is "close" to me . . . . Seeing that you have Mac Pro's as well, didn't pop the side tray to measure my drives, but is that "2.5"" the "one size fits all" for drives? fits into Mac Pro with an adapter tray and/or pops into laptop as well???

For the most part I'm not pushing the performance envelope of any of my machines . . . very little "smoke" coming from inside them . . . just here in SoCal we're back in "fire season" so lots of smoke coming from "outside" . . . . :upset:

eet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:54 am 

You need a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter to put them in the mac pro.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technologies/TP25ST35TA/

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MMP35T25/

I used the sonnet one with a custom Raid slide adapter that allows me to connect to the
the Raid SAS harness. The power to the ssd is supplied by the mac pro. A separate
data port on the custom Raid slide adapter connects the SSD data ports to the
Areca PCI Raid Card's SAS harness.

The sonnet adapter unit mounts directly to your standard Apple tray.

The OWC custom adapter replaces your Apple Tray.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:39 pm 

kjk555 wrote:
You need a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter to put them in the mac pro.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technologies/TP25ST35TA/

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MMP35T25/

The sonnet adapter unit mounts directly to your standard Apple tray.

The OWC custom adapter replaces your Apple Tray.

@kjk555:

Thanks for the links, yeah, I did the OWC adapter for the SSD I have now, looks like the price is up a bit on it . . . but I like that item as far as being a direct SATA connection to the drive . . . . Starting to get the gumption together to actually pull the trigger on these items . . . seems like the sellers "want" about $80 for whatever they are offering, just a matter of getting the most space for that price . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:42 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
I did the OWC adapter for the SSD I have now, looks like the price is up a bit on it

I'm betting those will disappear completely fairly soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:09 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
I did the OWC adapter for the SSD I have now, looks like the price is up a bit on it

I'm betting those will disappear completely fairly soon.

@BDAq:

Thanks for saying that . . . pulled the trigger on that item before posting back on the thread . . . . :whip: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Must get a couple myself.:coffee:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:33 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Must get a couple myself.:coffee:

I just took one . . . all I would need to get down the road for a bit on the MP . . . should be some left over for you?? :welcome:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks... I figure one for me, then 1 for somebody that missed out! :coffee: :welcome:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:20 am 

If they stop selling those you can just get a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter that uses a little circuit board to put the SATA connector in the right place. SATA can run over 24" cables, a 1/4" trace on a circuit board isn't going to introduce any problems. The tricky part is getting one where the connector is actually in the right spot - some of them are off by just enough to not work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Great info MB, thanks. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 am 

Hmmm, a while back I wanted to mount a 2.5 in my cMP... I got the OWC replacement sled. During that time, I also saw someone else selling an "adapter" that was a plastic gizmo to mount the 2.5 that was designed to actually screw into a "standard" 3.5" sled... there was no circuit board involved. Ah, here it is:

https://www.ebay.com/i/252943484868?chn ... gJ9A_D_BwE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 am 

paulc wrote:
Hmmm, a while back I wanted to mount a 2.5 in my cMP... I got the OWC replacement sled. During that time, I also saw someone else selling an "adapter" that was a plastic gizmo to mount the 2.5 that was designed to actually screw into a "standard" 3.5" sled... there was no circuit board involved. Ah, here it is:

https://www.ebay.com/i/252943484868?chn ... gJ9A_D_BwE

@paulc:

Looks good, and cheaper than the OWC item . . . well, if one of my HDDs decides to quit this would be the item . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm 

Beware of the cheap knockoffs though, as some were designed with PC's
in mind where it doesn't matter much if the sata connectors aren't in perfect
alignment with the same spot as a 3.5" drive (Since most PC's connect with
flexible cables).The Mac Pro is very intolerant to a drive's mis-aligned
sata connector because of Mac's sled mounting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm 

Look for people who use the adapters in server arrays or internal hotswap bays on servers, since those bays also require the SATA ports to be in precisely the right spot.

Most servers don't use cabled drives. I have exactly one server that uses cabled drives and I regret listening to the dinguses who said spending an extra $50 was the difference between getting the server vs. not getting the server (it wasn't). It's a pain to find drives that are supported by the array controller in that thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:05 am 
Benevolent Dictator

AHA, great tip, thanks.