XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Apple recalls older 15-inch MacBook Pros because the batteries could catch fire.

Overheating batteries are no laughing matter, so this may be urgent: Apple has just issued a recall for the 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display, saying its batteries “may pose a fire safety risk.”

The company says there are a “limited number” of affected units, sold between September 2015 and February 2017. That could easily be quite a number of laptops over that span. But the company sold that third-generation MacBook Pro between 2012 and 2018, so we’re definitely not talking about every 15-inch rMBP ever sold.

If you know someone who’s holding onto that model — the one with the full-size ports and taller keyboard that doesn’t easily get crippled by dust — you may want to have them check their serial number now at Apple’s support website.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/20/1869 ... isk-safety

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:32 pm 

I'll admit I was let down when I read about the issue being battery related.

I thought for a second that maybe, just maybe, they might have realized their long standing multiple model overheating issues caused by inadequate airflow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:55 pm 

Mine was produced the 52nd week of 2015 but is apparently not affected.

Too bad, the battery is poop.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:15 am 

I think it's essentially a design issue... they are trying to make them thin, thin, thin without fully realising the consequences. AND you can bet your bottom dollar the ONLY reason they are doing this is because the HUGE bad PR they are getting over laptop keyboards (another total design failure) AND by phone sales reaching saturation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:48 am 
Master

I don't think thinness significantly contributed here. For one, the 2015 models were thicker than current models which don't have this problem. Secondly, I've never heard anything about the thinness of a battery affecting it's reliability directly.

Thirdly, the MacBook Pros are surprisingly rigid given their thinness, and quite rigid in comparison even to a lot of conventional thick plastic laptops. It's plausible that thinness could contribute to increased likelihood of mechanical damage to the battery, but short of punctures that's likely to be due to flexing which doesn't seem like much of a problem in these models. The batteries are also segmented, so the entire thing won't flex as a unit.

Finally, if thinness were the problem you'd expect the same problem in any of the variations of the MBP that use the same case.

Since the problem is apparently limited to a range of serial numbers, the issue was likely related to a particular run of batteries. Building good lithium ion batteries is hard, and they've been an occasional problem since they were introduced. They were canned from the original PowerBook 5300 series (which was notably thick and horrible) when it was released due to reliability problems; they caught fire in Boeing 787 airliners; and generally have a habit of catching on fire whenever any aspect of quality control goes awry in a subtle way.

Not that there aren't reasons to question Apple's preoccupation with thinness. It means too many components are soldered, there's not enough room for ports, and other limitations and tradeoffs. I like a reasonably thin computer when I'm carrying it around, but thinness isn't the only thing I necessarily care about. The keyboards on the newer models were not carefully enough designed, and that design (but not necessarily their reliability problems) came about due to the thinness obsession.

Over its history Apple has been slow to extend warranty protection on problematic designs, but has consistently done so eventually. It's better at simply recalling faulty parts that represent safety hazards, as occurred with a seemingly uncountable string of PowerBook power supplies. You'd think they'd have learned after the first couple faulty power supply designs that would fray apart and catch on fire, but no...

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:40 pm 

Of course the newer models could have the same issues and we'll just find about it in the coming years.

However I didn't mean to imply thinness = battery issue. It sounds like this is a manufacturing defect that affects range of batteries from a particular supplier, otherwise all 2015 MBPs would be affected and not just some of them.

However overheating due to inadequate airflow can certainly have thinness as a contributing factor. The smaller the spaces air flows through the faster the air has to flow to move the same volume of air, which leads to louder fan noise, and noise, of course, is the anathema of current Apple customers. The minute they got too thin to have user-expandable memory and storage is the minute they lost my interest. And that was a long goddamn time ago.

Remember the IIci? You could damn near disassemble the entire machine without a screwdriver. I want that Apple back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 pm 
he who stacks pork

MonkeyBoy wrote:

I thought for a second that maybe, just maybe, they might have realized their long standing multiple model overheating issues caused by inadequate airflow.

Yeah, good luck with that one. :roll: They will never admit that they suck at efficient cooling… rather, look at how cool their products look.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:14 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:

That would mean they'd have to admit having Jony Ives design anything other than an iDevice was a horrible idea. That'll go over like a lead with Tim Crook.

paulc wrote:
I think it's essentially a design issue... they are trying to make them thin, thin, thin without fully realising the consequences. AND you can bet your bottom dollar the ONLY reason they are doing this is because the HUGE bad PR they are getting over laptop keyboards (another total design failure) AND by phone sales reaching saturation.

The battery issue is separate from the thin issue. It's no great secret you can't run any non cMP or LaMP under full load and not have it thermally throttle. It's a physical impossibility without constant airflow from external fans and/or making modifications to the chassis to allow external heatsinks/heat dissipation. But this time it's just a range of shitty batteries in addition to shitty design.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I think it was a set of marginal Batteries that heat took over the line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:59 pm 
Master

The IIci still stands in the running for me as one of the best computers Apple ever made. And yeah, super easy to work on. It was just a thoughtful design that did what we all needed for many, many years. The thing was in production for what, four years? The Mac Plus was in production longer, but had too many design flaws and limitations.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:16 pm 

Don't forget they turned the IIci/IIcx case into the Quadra 700 and it soldiered on for a couple more years until replaced by that god-awful Quadra 800 case.

Though I still wish I had bought the 840AV from my office when my employer shut down. It had issues with some 680x0 software but most of it ran fine and you don't want to know how much 680x0 software I have lurking around. I had so much fun with that box using the A/V inputs/outputs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:52 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
That would mean they'd have to admit having Jony Ives design anything other than an iDevice was a horrible idea. That'll go over like a lead with Tim Crook.
Jony is leaving Apple.

Though of course Apple is one of his first customers so this is probably just a way of getting more cash for himself from Apple. Or maybe they decided unleashing him on their competitors would sow as much chaos in their designs as he's done to Apple?

I was disappointed, I thought his startup would make iKnifes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:13 pm 

It isn't usual for senior executives to leave when they realize they just aren't in the running for CEO. I would imagine that is why Ahrendts left too.