XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:46 am 

Yo,
Posting from my iPad , iMac (?) > after it had been behaving ( except once ) since installing Mac - fan App (!) . I told myself ( do not down load Mac App Store Updates ) I did download a High Sierra ( and Sierra ) Security update . Skipped the Safari update ( as for Mohave .. ( ? I have a theory ? True or not ) updates for Mohave ( on a iMac limited to OS High Sierra ) have or contain " code " that ( " may " )
Corrupt non Mohave Macs . Call me crazy !

I am back at ( > restart required ) for OS Security update - back to 7 vertical stripes . Did run Disk Utilitu - First Aid on both log ins . On IMac HD passes on both . But on WDC -xxx HD ( above iMac HD in Disk Utility ) It showed " issues " at top and second to last line " ( iMac is frozen so will para phrase - a partition error may be preventing proper boot ) I did take a screen picture using grab + will posy correct wording . Did Safe Mode boot , zapped PRAM - tried to access AHT ( got errors ) I know I have the original install disks ( ? where ) I narrowed it down but it's in a tricky ( access ) spot .
I had this happen quite a few times prior to posting on Apple Communities then got great help from
XYMer ( aqua blue ) Any advice welcomed

from America
ambienttales
:bonk: :whip: :g4:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:54 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Are you able to...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:07 pm 

Yes it happens in safe mode boot . ? I can read " Grab " of message from Disk First Aid too .
Note , when " frozen / stuck and " entire screen pixelating " iMac gets very hot to touch ( top of iMac
21.5 inch screen . I unplugged it for awhile . Will do safe mode boot again - once it took a week to get it back to " normal "

This started Tuesday p.m. Worked on Yesterday and today .
:whip:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Is there dust showing on the intake grill at the bottom rear bottom the stand?

Have you blown the dust out?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:07 pm 
Master

This is a pretty classic sign of a graphics processing unit failure. Unfortunately, GPU failures were fairly common for that vintage of computer. The Radeon 4670 wasn't, to my knowledge, specifically affected by clearly documented GPU reliability problems, but my suspicion is that they still failed more often than they really should have.

I don't think your iMac has any Intel integrated graphics. Some laptops did, and on those system you could force the computer to use the integrated GPU in place of the discrete GPU.

Oddly, however, the GPU in that era of iMac was socketed, so if you're good at taking sensitive electronics apart and carefully reassembling them, you can replace that potentially faulty part without replacing the entire motherboard.

At least that's my take on the problem.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:45 am 

Thanks for Both Replies ,

Will check for dust at area described ,

Also re Failure of part - No I am all " thumbs " I did add ram awhile back (But that was simple )

? AHT from disk #2 of Original Disk -Would that (possibly identify "anything ")

Note = I did try > Disk First Aid , Attempt to reinstall Mac OS High Sierra (got 3/4 of way then "Stuck "

* iMac did get really hot too (Top of iMac ) ? is it possible to delete (reinstall and do over ? (? in Safe mode or ?

It took a week one time - I did other command key options - will need to find my notes < pre Mac Fan App )

Posting from my Wife's Mac Book Air

Will keep trying

I do have the iMac backed up via Time Machine to a 2GB Lacie External USB 2.0 Harddrive (? option to reinstall ? wipe iMac or ?

I am trying

and all ears

Raining Cats and Dogs Here

America

ambienttales

:confused: :o :roll: :oops: :confused:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 am 
Benevolent Dictator

On AHT...

If it finds a problem... believe it.

If it doesn't find a problem... do NOT believe it.

I have a bit of suspicion that AHT was a cut down version of ASD to cut down on Warranty repairs/replacements.

Apple had a better tester called ASD only available to them & their AASPs, I may be able to point you to that, but with it heating so bad we should run it as little as possible until we get a good course of action.

After checking for dust, a big fan blowing at the rear of the iMac will cool it some if we decide to run it.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 am 

Will
1) Check for Dust
2) "attempt" to Locate Original Disks ( I have (2) Ideas of where they may be 1 is easy 2nd involves some climbing (minor )

We do have several fans that are small enough to "blow on " rear of iMac

I hate typing on a laptop

all Thumbs but it works

"Trying" to send some lab work for a second opinion ( Patient Portals are good and bad ) make pdf's then email them

I disagree with my PCP Drs. Opinion on blood work (I am a R.N . ) worked in a Burn Unit (and on occasion when patient census down + other floors needed helped (I worked on a State Maximum Security Prison Ward in House -Patients were hand cuffed to bed + 2 Guards went on floor with Nurses (Me *) + in Guard Station CCTV of all four wards + panic button(Local Police-Swat + Prison Response Team would come (Never Happened while I was there ) -(Burn Unit -Police Came Yes ! )+ rack of Pistols + Shotguns It was at guards (decision ) to add handcuffs - there was a bed removed between each bed (> going once I took other Nurses (Female )"place " on "Pull list " as they were Terrified of that place ( Not Silence of The Lambs but ...then a Medical -Surgical -Trauma once back Home then Inpatient Psych (Dangerous ) I resigned > finding another job (I was attacked badly X 1 and escaped a few other attacks . Long Story (I felt safer on the Prison Unit (?) oddly

Thanks for reply

will keep at it !

Never Give Up !
Never Forget !
America
ambienttales
:shock: :lol: :bonk: :fishsmack: :coffee:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Oh, I'm in complete awe of the staff that works Psych units/facilities... I couldn't do it even thogh those need the most help. :classic-eek:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:48 pm 

:D
Thanks for the Kind post . I will send U a PM as it's a long story , but Mental Health carries such a
Underserved Stigma that so many folks and youth go untreated Plus it is a Broken System as is The Entire ( American ) Healthcare System including US ( and NATO ) Serviceman and Woman Who served
and lack care both physical and mental health care . War is Hell . So many homeless Veterans and
number of ( daily ) Veteran Suicides is Staggering and a Disgrace on Lack of Care + Beutaucraczy
And our Commander in Chief got 6 or 7 deferments for ? Flat feet or bone Spurs + His Father paid Dr. Whose family states Dr. Never saw Pt. ( If True disgraceful to all Vietnam Veterans and those Wounded , Killed and MIA ! Sorry That's How I feel .. :fishsmack:

I blew compressed air in to the lower grill areas on bottom + upper slot along top ( it appeared clean though )

Disk #2 ( AHT ) looked in two likely places - no luck ( Perhaps " sleeping on it " will remove some cobwebs ! We moved 4 years ago , I can recall where the install disks were then + iLife disks but did not turn up today . I can visualize the brown mailing envelopes they were stored in . Will explore more this weekend . We are watching our daughters puppy this weekend so She needs watched and entertained . Pippa is Her name aka Miss Pippa Buttons ( our two indoor cats are non Pippa fans ! Ha
Our Daughters boyfriends parents have two cats and Pippa is pals with Jose ( they play wrestle and chase each other ( odd ) their other cat Frankie does not share the same interest ha .

Unplugged iMac and will hunt for hand written notes ( pages + clipped together along with command key combos from web and Apple (? It may be cooked but did get to 7 stripes and normal color background on both user log ins ( Seems Apple Security Update triggered it ( for OS Sierra and OS Sierra ( it was in additional info as " rest of prior Security Update - of initial OS security update ( odd )

Fingers Crossed
Goodnight from America
ambienttales

:bonk: :ugeek: :confused: :? :snail: Took 7 days once to get it back online + functioning

? Is AHT ( for pre 2013 ) available online Apple.com or .....

ambienttales

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 pm 

Quick Thought + I do not know the answer -

If I "can" get my iMac up and running ( but with 7 vertical lines ) and log in

B) = in Safe Mode ( either log in )

C) = (?) Downlad ( on my Wife's MacBook ( though Running OS Mohave )
To a USB flash drive Onyx (Titaniun software freeware , also has 2 other programs )

* has OS High Sierra D-Load option ( ? If would work if MacBook is running OS Mohave
( (?) would work ? Or to d-load to my iMac - even to a USB flash drive
(?) even in safe mode .

Is it a viable option ( * Disk Utility / Disk First Aid did ID a ? Software ? Or HD issue

I have it copied on iMac but yet able to write it " exactly " here on X704.net post

Getting Late
Out from America
Thinking to much ( :o maybe )

:whip: :confused: :arrow:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:50 am 
Benevolent Dictator

If you get it running in Safe Mode be certain to launch MacFansControl ASAP & ramp fan speeds up to maximum.

Sierra's D key App won't work on any other Mac.

You need ASD...
iMac (2010 Mid 21.5-inch) 3s140
iMac (2010 Mid 27-inch) 3s140

If you find it, unzip it & mount the DMG, read PDFs on the DMG.

See your PMs.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:25 am 

Will restart in Safe Mode , hope for best

, ? I am ( terrible with initials ? ASD means ?

? In Your Opinion is my iMac possibly " Toast " ?

Software ( or > Likely Hardware ? )

It has lasted close to nine years so not out of question?

have a iPad ( update of iOS limited at iOS 10.x

iPhone 6 something , still updateable iOS wise .

Nothing lasts forever I guess but ( Dreams Never End )

Will pm U soon

It's a personal ( family ) related mental health sad tale .

Affected Me + My Parents deeply

( my Older Sister )

Peace Out

:coffee:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

ASD= Apple Service Diagnostic

Your Mac is on Life Support, possibly time to pull the plug, may require surgery... we're trying a bit of CPR & Heimlich maneuver combined.

Likely Hardware problem, with the heat building so fast & high it maybe a dead or clogged fan or dust up the yang yang.

9 Years is quite good for that model, hoping for 10 more years for my 2011 iMacs.

You have a PM from me waiting to be read.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:00 pm 

Yo ,

Been Rehabbing my spine and left knee -

Resting and chilling out mostly

iMac is in " Rest Mode "

If ( anyone knows I would think it would be on this www

A person posted ( on Yoytube ) a way to upgrade from a 2010 ) Mac Pro ( Tower ) He was " stuck at
OS High Sierra ( I am too but more than that ( I can laugh now )
They had " access " ? Where not revealed . To a Apple Firmware update (?) and bingo OS Mohave .

They also upgraded SSD - Ram - and more ( The Case was " User friendly )

Yiytube same ( or " channel ) = Austen Evans ( He has a secondary subscription site too )

He also did a demo on Mac's latest Mac Mini ( Unscrewing the bottom base ) + added ram
( Crucial brand ? 32 GB versus 8 GB stock ) SSD or stock HD can be ? Removed

+ one other item ( da ) less than 10 minute videos .

Maybe ? Unlikely based on my imac's not playing well with others is a firmware update even possible

Unclear on how to open it ( I see three screws on lower bottom ) I added ram (8 GB ) to stock
4 GB ? There no soldered in ram .

Re: 2018 Mac Mini Austen Thomas removed 8 GB ram and pit in 32 GB

Hope this makes sense

:bonk: :D :shock: :roll: :coffee: :coffee: :whip:

PS Nick Mason ( Pink Floyd Drummer ) His new Band recently played locally ( Akron Civic Theatre )

It's on the National Historic Registry ) during Silent Film era , a Organist played along ( Organ still there and many " ghosts " I never saw any ? Nick Mason focused on era of Pink Floyd with Svd Barret + LP's put on during . Saucerful of Secrets , => I some how have some 3 CD sets ( Songs - " See Emily Play ) + Set .... on ... drawing a blank sorry . Sad re Syd and Wright passing + Roger Waters and David Gilmour < Who replaced Syd Barrett ( ? Can not perform together ) ? David Gilmour is a Gifted Guitarist but Roger Waters is Brilliant ( bass , guitar , vocals and song writer + persona on stage

? Agree he wrote about school , War and his father but not every song ( only the artists really know the " meaning " imo words , lyrics , phrases and music " pass thru you " if you are lucky to capture it . It's coming from some where else ( where exactly ? the past , as it's all we have ..

Will PM promise :arrow: :bonk:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:01 pm 

? How to read pm

yes da

:bonk:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:02 pm 

How did I get thru college ?

:fishsmack: :fishsmack: :whip: :bonk: :coffee: :coffee:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

At the top left of the forum login page, click on the link...

Attachments:
x704pms.gif
x704pms.gif [ 30.54 KiB | Viewed 2300 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I forget if yours is a 21"...
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+In ... rdown/5485

Or a 27"...
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+In ... rdown/1236

2010 Mac Pro can run Mojave if it gets an updated Graphics Card compatible with Metal, not possible for the iMacs I think.

I've been worried about you, but "Resting and chilling out" sounds good.

I was amazed that Mason & Wright could hang in there so long with an Artist & a Genius butting heads... but it was pure magic when they did, and Waters on his own was a bit too radical & Gilmore on his own was a bit too mellow.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:29 pm 

My iMac is a 21.5 screen

? 2010 Mac Pro > than " firmware " update ( video did mention updates in a lot of upgrades

In addition to OS Mohave .

Is over my " head " re: understanding tech involved , but did note ease of access to,tower .

Thanks for directions on messages and private messages - accessing

Later

David

:coffee: :fishsmack: :shock: :mrgreen: :bonk:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:02 am 
Benevolent Dictator

The 10.13.6 Installer contains a special Firmware Update for Mac Pro 5,1 that is for APFS & maybe the one needed for Mojave besides the Graphic Card requirement.

Which thing was too tech? :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 am 

What I read kind of implied that there were 2 firmware updates for 5,1 cMPs, each coming via running the installer. I know the one that came with HS for specifically for APFS, not sure about the Mojave one... if what I read was correct.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:19 am 

It is me ,
Initials that are " short " for a term ( I have difficulty with ) regardless of Subject matter.

Do well with Medical Terminology but

Tech , Nuclear Collider ( its ? 9-10 Initials site near ? In Virginia ( runs underground in a circle ) I " think "

Sort of like Camp Peary ( Williamsburg , Virginia ) aka " The Farm "

CIA training base ( as well as Tier One operators - can sky dive ( low level descent or high level descent than low level release ) Extensive Driving training ( eluding a tail , high speed escape + brake in reverse ( and 180 degree turn ) There is a multi guarded Booth ( with gates + barriers - in close proximity are ( bunkers with dual 50 caliber belt fed machine guns in a set up to cross fire at any unauthorized entry ( don't even pull in - These People are Serious . It's hundreds of acres above ground and below ground ( I am not making this up ) ? Air view ? Google Earth ? ( is near Freeway access but in woods there are ponds and lakes and a airfield + helo pads )

Kind of creepy will look at a map + provide better coordinates ( could be on a blocked list of satellites used who knows ( I do not want to know )

Not sure if I answered the ? 'S

Thanks for the replies

? What would it take ( tool wise or ? Plans ) to " open up iMac 2010 21.5 inch screen

PS Sat 12 midnight to Sunday 12 midnight (? PST ) www.hos.com

Ambient " transmission " a one hour broadcast ( no matter time of that windows of time starts from beginning

Free sign up ( email and password required , ? They send a confirmation email back .

I have ? 7 email addres's don't ask.

www.tapeop.com. ( free subscription to The Best Music - Recording info - gear reviews -
Comes every other month ( some how I am getting 5 copies each issue ?

It is sold at Barnes and Nobles and Guitar Center But ? Why pay for a free high quality magazine + recent upgrade in ? Paper style is a matte versus glossy ( print would smear )

+ log in allows access to archives !

Valerie George was in top 5 interviews ( Mobile - Station wagon recorded bands + still is Plus does sound installations .

End Rant (x 2 Give Me a Hammer discusses Music - recording - audio interfaces + issues of drivers versus class compliant + part two Man has so many Macs as Software + OS updates and limits ( He says He is switch
Hinted Thar he was switching to Windows 10 ) ? His End Rant generated tons of replies in letters to the editor ( for Professional Music Studios (?) Use 2 inch 24 track tape ( some have (2) decks synched

Then " dump " music / tracks in to digital for mixing ( Pro Tools has 300 channels ) then is dumped back to analog tape ( A / D / D / A ) Hardware $$$$$ . Some stick with tape only.

Others digital only . Initials puzzle me

This post is a puzzle my apologies

ambienttales

:bonk: :fishsmack: :coffee:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:20 am 

Also figured out > Guidance

Read PM

Thank You

ambienttales

:o :roll: :? :confused: :fishsmack:

ambienttales