XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I think I need a vacation.

Last two weeks I've been one of those guys who orders delivery from the grocery store just to get OTC cold medicine without having to leave the house. Of course I ordered a bunch of groceries too. But first thing added to the cart was the cold medicine. Speaking of which I just took a swig and I'm going back to bed.

Been going on for quite a while now. Maybe time now to see a Dr? Get chest x-ray?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 pm 

Nah I definitely get periods where I'm not, well, like this. I never get enough sleep Monday-Friday which is probably why I end up feeling sick on the weekends a lot. But I do have periods where I don't feel sick. This is something else entirely. I actually saw the doctor at the start of this and it seems like its just a cold. Then again it may have progressed to walking pneumonia at this point. Which is why this time I'm really going back to bed. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 pm 

I'm your Jewish mama (by proxy) and I'm very concerned. You have to shape up already! Don't let yourself get so run down.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 5:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

We're all concerned MB... you seem to be pushing yourself too hard to please everybody but you.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:38 am 

Last 3-4 years I seem to have acquired a yearly affliction. I get a flu... and a nasty one at that. BUT I do get the shot, BUT couple of times I went to the local clinic and it was NOT the "official" flu for that season (seems they have a test for it), but "flu-like symptoms." It's fever for a day or two, then kind of severe cold type symptoms head clogged, coughing, chest blocked. Can last up to 2 weeks before ALL symptoms are gone. Niot sure if this fits you or not MB, but be aware.

Last edited by paulc on Wed May 22, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:50 pm 

[quote="MonkeyBoy"]Where is that info from?

I know if it looks at the root HFS wrapper it'll have all the space allocated because HFS+ takes up the entire disk.

A corestorage container could cause that since it allocates all disk space to the container.

yep that is what it has a GD storage container

I hope you are feeling better!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:53 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Nah I definitely get periods where I'm not, well, like this. I never get enough sleep Monday-Friday which is probably why I end up feeling sick on the weekends a lot. But I do have periods where I don't feel sick. This is something else entirely. I actually saw the doctor at the start of this and it seems like its just a cold. Then again it may have progressed to walking pneumonia at this point. Which is why this time I'm really going back to bed. :)

GOOD, back to bed is strongly recommended!!! and liters of liquids. A friend told me today that fresh (preferably organic) pineapple decreases mucus and congestion. Tried it today and it actually helped.
Feel better soon!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
fresh (preferably organic) pineapple decreases mucus and congestion.

Thanks, will have to try it, mucus is one of my biggest breathing problems as it hangs in my throat... the other... anybody need 100 ponds or more? I'd let it go cheap! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 am 

I think I may pick up some Mucinex and see if that helps. It's down to just phlegm at this point.

I have felt better each day this week so maybe I've turned a corner. Ended up turning off the alarm on Monday and falling back asleep for 4 or 5 more hours. Unintentionally, just went to rub my eyes and that all it took.

Then again the brain surgeons at work blew up their systems 15 minutes after the start of their day, blowing up my phone 3 hours before my alarm was set to go off, so I'm in a downright cranky mood today. If you had never done this thing before, why, at the very start of your day, would you do it?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:22 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I hope Mucinex works for you, it had no apparent affect on my problem, nor did any of the other like products, one thing that I haven't proved yet, but seems to affect the stickiness/consistency
of the phlegm, making it easier to expectorate/cough up... is reducing sugar intake... not that I use sugar, but everything has it in it nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am 

My understanding of expectorants is that they make your body create more mucus which in turn causes the existing phlegm, the stuff that's caught all the foreign bodies, to get dislodged from your air passages, which is why you're able to cough it up.

If you're having issues with your sugar levels keeping your sugar intake down can certainly help, because diabetic and pre-diabetic reactions can create immune systems issues (and sleeping issues).

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB. :)

Now how do we turn your Phone off at night so you can get some sleep... & a raise!?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:38 pm 

All the fone phreaks I knew died off 50 years ago...

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:26 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I don't know if this Magic or coincidence, but had the clearest throat with no mucus for 12 hours after this...

4 small Yukon Gold Potatoes with skin on, nuked with 2oz. water, covered, until mashable, mashed & ate while nice & hot with 1/4 cube of Salted Butter & 1/4 cup cultured Sour Cream.

My oxygen level was quite nice without the O2 & inhalers all night!?

Edit: To be precise it got 3 shakes of Johnny's Seasoning Salt before Nuking.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:47 pm 

Magic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Where is that info from?

I know if it looks at the root HFS wrapper it'll have all the space allocated because HFS+ takes up the entire disk.

A corestorage container could cause that since it allocates all disk space to the container.

I am hoping you are feeling much better MB ??!!

I do think you hit the nail on the head regarding "corestorage" container.

I have a question. is there any way to get rid of it?? I still am unable to delete anything from it including the "stuff" I "accidentally" must have added to it.

My options are: I have a 1TB new HD that I could replace it with. or replace the 2nd HD.

The HD1 (Corestorage/container) used to have only ca 40something usage out of a 250GB HD now it says 125GB used, so I must have messed up somewhere. :bonk:
That however leads me to this ?:

How-where can I compare what exactly is on the 2 Hard drives? clicking on apps only brings me the same info on the computer. My suspicion is that some of the apps etc are now on both HDs. Could the bootable (i.e. HighSierra be on both HDs??? ) I do not know how to check that. :snail: And I am nervous about trying to boot from the 2nd HD.
I have made too many mistakes on this computer but at least it is usable now, although not much storage space left.

Got pretty much everything straightened out except for this (dreaming-hoping) :roll: :lol:, issue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Do you have enough room to run...

How much free space is on the HD, where has all the space gone?
OmniDiskSweeper is likely the easiest/best, and is now free...
https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:29 pm 

You can convert a corestorage container back to a normal or legacy partition but, to my knowledge, it requires Terminal. Symantec has some pretty straightfoward instructions: https://support.symantec.com/us/en/arti ... 09622.html

Basically if you open Terminal.app and issue "diskutil cs list" it should return a lot of data. If it returns "No CoreStorage logical volume groups found" then you don't have a CoreStorage volume. Even though their instructions (esp. later on) talk about encryption, that's because they sold a product to encrypt a corestorage container. The sudo diskutil cs revert (long UUID string) is the same for regular old unencrypted corestorage containers. And their instructions deal with where to find (long UUID string) if diskutil cs list returns data.

The only other thing that occurs to me is some versions of OS X had a hidden Lost+Found folder that it stuck bits and pieces of files it didn't know where to otherwise stick. Over time this folder could balloon up in size. I haven't seen it since around 10.3 but it might still be around, just less likely to grow.

Mucinex did wonders for whatever I had, that and rest. Every weekend I get a lot of sleep I make a ton of headway. I'm barely even coughing now (of course I just coughed because I wrote that, but I go hours between coughs now). Oh and opening up the windows due to the summer, that might have helped too. Get all that winter funk out!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:34 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Do you have enough room to run...

How much free space is on the HD, where has all the space gone?
OmniDiskSweeper is likely the easiest/best, and is now free...
https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

I downloaded the Omni will see how that pans out. HD 1 "thinks" it is the backup drive = NOT. so is it "safe to sweep? I don't often sweep things under the rug :P but in this case I am being extra careful and am tempted to do just that. :bonk: because I have managed to, with a lot of help from you all here, to actually be able to use the computer. I can now get mail, pay bills etc. etc. hahahaha.

PS pineapple works for mucus and so does some homeopathic remedies. Nasal congestion "Natrum muriaticum" chest congestion/mucus Natrum sulphuricum. Both by BOIRON. comes in small blue tubes. Hyland may also carry them, not sure. Hyland are considered tissue salts and I use them for many things. No side effects, no chemicals and NO Poisons :mrgreen:

now definitely :coffee: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:16 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
so is it "safe to sweep?

Yes, it's sweeping isn't cleaning, it sweeping as in a search. :coffee:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:26 pm 

Thanks!