XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I never tested it until a week ago, never needed the rear ports with Apple's absentmindedly putting useful FW & USB ports on the front! :coffee:

Have done SMC Reset & PRAM.

Front ports report fine, but rear ports only show 3 lines in System Report no matter what is connected..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:08 pm 

I had to move offices on my last few days, but I need to setup a 2010 Mac Pro for someone whenever I finally get everything situated, so I'll check out what it shows with nothing connected to the back ports.

To my knowledge short of pulling the motherboard battery and an SMC reset I don't know of a whole lot short of the motherboard swap to bring the back ports back to life, which was kind of the same situation in G5s.

As I recall the battery is hidden under the graphics card, though I haven't looked at one in days (on Christmas/New Years break this week) so I might be wrong. 2010/2012 is about the right age for a battery to need replacement.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:20 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks... it almost seems like there's some power wire disconnected.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:55 am 

Usually power is what kills them. If you remember the Firewire isolator cables from way back that saved FW400 ports by disconnecting everything but the data lines. Basically with USB people hold onto janky USB ports until they completely stop working and in the process fry the USB port. With firewire its usually a power differential between the connected device and the Mac causes a surge to travel from device to Mac and fries the FW chip that controls that port.

I got an isolator for my G4 after I had to do a motherboard battery reset to bring its FW port back to life, and either it did its job or it was a case of a rock that keeps tigers away because the FW400 port stopped having an issue. They definitely cut FW power though, bus powered devices didn't work when connected through the isolator.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:01 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, just seems strange that 2 separate USB busses, 3 ports & a FW bus, 2 ports would all go out at once.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 am 

I think there's one USB hub and one FW hub for the rear ports, though if some are working and some aren't that would kind of throw a wrench into my hub memory. The front are off a different USB & FW chipset.

Normally its the other way around, we lose the front ports and the rears stay functional because the students are too lazy to look at the rear (out of sight out of mind). Keep in mind these are people who are so insistent on plugging a USB cable in backwards that they actually snap off the plastic key in the port.

What I suspect is that whoever had the Mac Pro before you fried the ports, assuming you bought this system used, and you're just noticing it now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I thought there was a limit of 2 ports per built-in Bus, here's Sys Report...

Attachments:
MacProUSBports.gif
MacProUSBports.gif [ 50.08 KiB | Viewed 443 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:41 pm 

My 2010 is currently sitting on the floor in front of my desk at work, I've spent today slowly marching equipment/furniture out of my old office and into my new office, so it'll be a while until I have a good reference point. I have an entire lab full of 2010/2012 Pros but they're half a building away and I'm on my deathmarch between offices today. I'm down to moving a mini-fridge and two iMacs, one partially disassembled. The HD died of heat death and I haven't had the heart yet to completely disassemble the thing to clean & re-thermal compound the CPU/GPU. When I blew the dust out of the stuff I could reach with the screen off and HD out my office was covered in dust, so I'm not certain they're still alive. Everything was caked with dust the way 10 year old Macs that are owned by people who don't understand the concept of clearing out dust every couple years get.

Crap. I've got to find a safe spot for that 27" LCD. I found a niche in my old office but the new one is a lot more cramped. Maybe under the workbench... its got a bar across the center so its not likely to get hurt...

I don't know of any technical limitation to 2 or 3 ports, it may just be a design consideration made by Apple. I know in USB 3.0 systems it will create USB 2.0 hubs for any USB 2.0 device plugged into a USB 3.0 port. I swear I've seen USB 2.0 devices plugged into different USB 3.0 chips end up on the same virtual USB 2.0 hub...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, take care of your stuff & yourself first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:40 pm 

I hate moving.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:27 am 

Not sure if you saw the report from yesterday or the day before on Mike's site about an iMac with blown ports that weren't cured with a simple SMC reset or unplugging it for 30 mins. The person fixed it by unplugging the system then holding the power button to discharge the capacitors on the motherboard, then plugging it back in a couple minutes later. Since you're in a Mac Pro it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the battery too. Unplug, discharge, pull battery, let sit, install battery, connect power, let sit for 10-ish seconds, then power on. Of course if the battery is under the video card then removing/installing it is an extra step before/after the battery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, I missed that... funny thing is I was about to ask how many still visit Mike's site! :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:47 pm 

Its part of my home tab group. Every time his site goes down I worry. Hope he's doing okay.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I used to converse with him regularly, I keep meaning to eMail him but sort of afraid to.

Will try that last suggestion, just trying to see why it hasn't done it since deleting that holdover file without restarting!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:58 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Thanks MB, I missed that... funny thing is I was about to ask how many still visit Mike's site! :oops:

I still visit his site. His was the last of the mac news sites that remained even a bit relevant after macfixit, macintouch, and macsource all either went down or became paywalled.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks ST.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 am 

Whenever people ask me for something to buy and OWC is the best option I usually shoot them a link that's generated from xlr8yourmac, so he gets credit for the sale.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:46 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I used to do that, but forgot how! :oops: