XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mac Pro logs me out.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Running 10.12.6, have restarted many times, have done 3 PRAM Rests in a row, have reset the SMC.

Have been to Energy Saver, changed everything & back, no change.

Have been to Security & Privacy, changed everything & back, no change.

Edited the plist because 8 hours is the max allowable if checked, no change.

Running Civ5 seems to be the only thing that intercepts the Log Out & allow me to cancel it.

What else can cause it to try to log me out?

Post subject: Re: Mac Pro logs me out.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 pm 

Don't understand, can you explain what you mean by being "logged out?" Nevertheless, probably your own words coming back at you, does it happen in a different or new admin account?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:04 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

If Civ5 doesn't intercept it with an are you sure you want to log out Dialog, then all Apps quit & the Mac will end up on the Login screen.

Good idea on an other user test, haven't tried that... Have 2 Admin users logged in now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:48 pm 

Some other things to try: if you haven't already, what happens in a safe boot? Also, maybe not related, but might be, started me thinking about "login loop" from years ago: From a search, seeing to try trashing com.apple.recentitems.plist in ~/library/preferences, and restart or log out and log back in again.

Also, again, related to login loop (realize it's not exactly what's happening, but who knows, might help) found a very old thread from years ago where I provided this answer (I surprise myself--where did I get this from?) And no idea if /var/audit/current even exists in 10.12 now (but do see /var/audit with a no access symbol)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6505454

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:55 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks W, the /private/var/audit folder does exist in 10.12.6, can't see in it right now, want to test out your 1st suggestion, which might take days depending on activity... not sure how long of inactivity it takes to kick in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:15 pm 

Funny, can't remember the last time I booted to single user. Haven't need it in years, but seems it still exists in 10.12.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:22 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, I'm not sure I've done it since AppleJack's heyday. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:56 am 

Has auto logout been set inadvertently?

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/mgg-an ... to-logout/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:41 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks again, funny enough it was enabled, it was set to 960 minutes, but that was a test to see if I could affect a change in the logging out, which I think, but tough to tell when inactivity started, was between 24 & 96 hours.

It's off again now, was off in most instances when it logged me out... it acts/acted exactly like that feature is enabled.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:12 am 

Quote:
It's off again now, was off in most instances when it logged me out... it acts/acted exactly like that feature is enabled.

Could it be that the UI setting for that isn't actually talking properly to its plist or config file? The one says it's off, the other doesn't hear that? Not sure which or where it is, but can you find either?

EDIT: any clues here?

Looks like it's in /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discus ... inactivity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:59 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, seemed to be pertinent...

sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist com.apple.autologout.AutoLogOutDelay
Password:
2018-12-28 10:46:57.583 defaults[13302:2021998]
Domain (/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist) not found.
Defaults have not been changed.

Yet on a second install of 10.12.6 it worked no fret!

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences com.apple.autologout.AutoLogOutDelay -int 0

Went through on the 1st one, didn't try on the second install, will have to wait & see.:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:13 pm 

Any chance this 10.12 installation started on another Mac?

Meaning it's not a fresh installation on the Mac Pro with nothing inherited except through migration assistant or plain old copying.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, I think that is exactly what happened, seems /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist com.apple.autologout.AutoLogOutDelay was on a user that was fully migrated from 10.10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:24 am 

I've had major problems moving 10.12 and up between systems. So far I've gotten it to work reliably by basically wiping out all the Caches and ByHost folders (you can do it from single user, though since I'm sharing via images I usually clear them before snapping an image) but maybe I need to think about /Library/Preferences/ (and ~/Library/Preferences/) too. Trick is to remember to dump any files starting with . in those directories too. (ls -al)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the input MB.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 am 

My current iMac started life as a G3 with OS9/10.4, then migrated to an iMac G5 with 10.5, then to this late '09 iMac with 10.6, on to 10.12, by way of 10.8 and 10.11. So I have accumulated a lot of prefs By Host files. Never experienced your current problem with automatic logout, mainly because I never used that feature. But perhaps anything else similarhttps://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.p ... 29#p110529 because I've combed through all those By Host and trashed any which didn't conform to the current hardware UUID. Something you might perhaps want to do.

EDIT: actually just checked, had that a bit confused. Mostly didn't remove any of the older prefs by host on the iMac. But did go through all those on the Mini, where, to great frustration a few years ago, I tried to clone the iMac direcly to the Mini, after an OS upgrade. Removing the iMac prefs by host there did go a long way towards helping in that situation.

So don't see why doing this would help you if the 10.10 began its life on the Mac Pro, which would have the same UUID as now, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks W, though the Migration was from 10.10, 10.10 was likely migrated from 10.8 & that perhaps originally from 10.4.11 trough incremental steps! :welcome:

Other than experimenting to see which plist(s) were affected, I don't think I ever used Log out after period of time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:02 pm 

Yeah migration assistant can do some strange things.

I ended up nuking my 10.5 installation on my G5 and starting from scratch, copying data over by hand and reinstalling software fresh, and I swear the entire thing runs substantially slower than it did before with my migrated (though unstable) install from my G4.

That's the worst kind of choice for me, do you want something that runs 25% to 50% faster but crashes regularly or do you have everything run slow but it almost never crashes. Gah! I'd love to just say screw it and move back to 10.4 where everything runs even faster than whatever optimizations I did over the decades to 10.5, but then I'd lose all the software that needs a minimum 10.5 (shakes head ruefully).

See Apple, this is why you should have kept 10.6 cross-platform... if you screwed me out starting with Lion I honestly wouldn't have cared, I skipped that abomination. As it is? Buggy, slow, incompatible, these are the options you forced on me. :badteeth:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Speaking of Versions...

Releases
2.1 Public Beta: "Kodiak"... Useless
2.2 Version 10.0: "Cheetah"... 10.0.4, last OS X that could run with dissimilar CPU speeds
2.3 Version 10.1: "Puma"... Could run in 96 MB of RAM
2.4 Version 10.2: "Jaguar"... nothing really wrong with 10.2.6 or 10.2.8
2.5 Version 10.3: "Panther"... Finally, a few 3rd party things worth having
2.6 Version 10.4: "Tiger"... Only Apple OS to go to Eleven! And could still run Classic/OS9 Apps.
2.7 Version 10.5: "Leopard"...Slower & more bloated than Tiger, but worked on PPC Macs too
2.8 Version 10.6: "Snow Leopard"... App Store introduced, but at least had Rosetta for running PPC Apps
2.9 Version 10.7: "Lion"... Beginning of... This is how Apple demands you do stuff, like it or hit the road.
2.10 Version 10.8: "Mountain Lion"... Well, too many complaints about Lion, so we compiled this to step back a bit.
2.11 Version 10.9: "Mavericks"... Just to see if we could blur the Desktop photo.
2.12 Version 10.10: "Yosemite"... Steep climb ahead.
2.13 Version 10.11: "El Capitan"... Really steep climb.
2.14 Version 10.12: "Sierra"... We're having trouble coming up with names, but not useless features.
2.15 Version 10.13: "High Sierra"... We found 10.12 didn't break enough 3rd party Apps & it allowed you to do too much.
2.16 Version 10.14: "Mojave"... Dark Mood, just to show you we can break everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_version_history

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:49 am 

Once they kill off all support for 32-bit apps there will be a mass exodus of *nix users. I guess they're doing it so they can move to 64-bit ARM? They'll implement a AMD64 emulator in ARM to ease the transition but won't include an x86 emulator because zomg do you think we're made of money?

The thing that irks me about 10.6 is the early alphas builds were Intel/PPC it only changed to Intel only once someone on high demanded the change.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, I don't really understand the switch to 64 bit only, so few apps really need it, but as you say, it's likely so Apple can make more money & close out more x-86 users.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:23 am 

I suspect it's not invented here syndrome taking hold, where if they're not using their own ARM CPU in an Apple device it must be inferior technology. Nevermind that ARM is for low power devices and is incredibly efficient per watt but that kind of thinking doesn't work once you're talking desktops or mobile workstations. And if you're not talking mobile workstations then why not just, y'know, buy a cheaper laptop from someone else? It's not like Adobe doesn't make Creative Cloud for Windows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Overtime I get POed at Apple enough, I go back to Windows... until the aggravation there drives me to an even shorter stint with Linux, then crawling back to Apple... grrrrrrr.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:33 pm 

The only thing that drives me up the wall with 10 is the constant update cycle and constant background installation of apps Microsoft is being paid to install. You can deal with that by moving off the Pro or Home licenses to enterprise but they charge a goddamn mint for those licenses.

I really detested 8 and 8.1 because of the forced adoption of the touchscreen interface but 7 was a good compromise between XP & Vista's way of doing things. 10 is kind of a compromise between 7 & 8, where you have the touchscreen available but it defaults to a more 7-like desktop metaphor. Now they're doing the slow march of 7 to obsolescence by butchering its patches to use more and more and more and more RAM (much like they did with XP). 10 on the same hardware is generally faster if you can put up with its annoyances simply because they're not butchering its patches the same way as 7.

In theory in 10 you can set a connection to metered, which means a connection where you pay per byte transferred, and it will put a halt to most of the crazy stuff. It will still download critical security updates but the rest gets blocked. Only problem is for WiFi you have to set it for each WiFi network you connect to, you can't just say "all WiFi is metered," you have to specifically say "my home wifi" network is metered and then it remembers that its metered from then on. And then if you blow out your NIC for whatever reason (driver update gone wrong) then when rebuilding the NIC it will generally create new networks so you have to go back and set those to metered... (sigh) For some reason I've just been living without setting networks to metered, but if I was living with a data cap I'd be more tolerant of these foibles and keep the metered connection setting enabled. And its not like that's something that happens regularly (well, aside from the per-WiFi network name thing).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, sounds almost like busy work in the service.