XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Mac Pro logs me out.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:45 pm 

Yeah Microsoft thinks that they're giving us a "discount" on enterprise with Home & Pro and makes up for the difference by installing apps you don't want as advertising... and mining data (which you can mostly turn off and avoid the remainder by not using any built-in Microsoft internet-connected apps).

You used to be able to disable the automatic download without resorting to metered connections but Microsoft has been systematically disabling those methods because that's a revenue stream for them. I dunno. I went through uninstalling apps before they installed for months on end and for the past couple months it seems like they've reached a stalemate with me... I haven't had to uninstall anything it tries to download after rebooting and it doesn't try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Keep up the good fight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:52 am 

I killed the windows update and windows update medic services and have no issues with unwanted downloads...yet. I prefer a stable gaming rig to the constantly broken shit show Microsoft insists on delivering to everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:31 am 

Somewhere there's a setting for which update channel you want to be on, of which there are two. I find that the non-default setting, which is described as updates for organizations (the channel name varies depending on OEM vs. retail vs. licensed), is a hell of a lot less herky jerky. I also delay security updates for a couple days and feature updates for a month.

That being said whatever they did to DX9 games last year is a goddamn travesty. I forget what dll has to be extracted from an older build and put in the application directory but its one of the older directx dlls.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 pm 

Speaking of migration assistant and inherited quirks, I'm doing my first High Sierra image & mass restore tonight. Can't do Mojave because the apps being used require us to essentially scrap all our existing licenses and buy fresh new pretty more expensive licenses for ???? reasons known only to the developer (keep in mind both kinds require yearly renewals) in order to solve Mojave-related issues.

So far my Sierra tricks are holding up but HS gets a lot more confused on the first boot and needs more handholding to bring it back to sanity. Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Will try that last suggestion, just trying to see why it hasn't logged me out it since deleting that holdover file without restarting!??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:56 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Somewhere there's a setting for which update channel you want to be on, of which there are two. I find that the non-default setting, which is described as updates for organizations (the channel name varies depending on OEM vs. retail vs. licensed), is a hell of a lot less herky jerky. I also delay security updates for a couple days and feature updates for a month.

That being said whatever they did to DX9 games last year is a goddamn travesty. I forget what dll has to be extracted from an older build and put in the application directory but its one of the older directx dlls.

You're referring to Inner and Outer ring deployment. Inner is their beta testers pretty much. Outer is anyone that wants to play it slightly safer. Windows Home has no settings for this. You're forced to do what they want when they want unless you manually kill the windows update/medic services and hack the registry to not update drivers automatically (you have to use regedit on windows home,, but not pro/enterprise).