XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:00 am 

This is more a FYI should you or others encounter this issue:

I use a separate Dell display with early 2008 iMac (Mavericks OS) with a completely bad display (a bunch of vertical lines). The Dell is the only one that can be viewed but is a different screen size and I cannot use mirroring. I instead have it set up in Display preferences as an extended screen whereby the computer sees both displays as valid work space. However, this then presents the problem that the mouse can be scrolled off one side of the Dell display into the iMac area and disappear. Apple does not provide a way to disable their iMac displays so I use Disablemonitor 1.9.2 to deactivate the iMac's display to restrict the computer's display activities to the one monitor. One problem I have had, but have not been able to find the cause, is a few times a week I or the computer does something so the mouse cursor disappears completely (lifting the mouse may seem to do this). Restarting Finder does not recover it. So far the only way I have been able to recover it has been to use keyboard commands such as shift + command + Q to log out of my user area, or to restart the computer completely. The cursor then appears on the log-in screen, but doing this means I have to wait for the whole process to take place, plus I have to do some reconfiguration of the work I was doing before all this happened (e.g., applications may reopen but not always the documents I had open in them).

I just discovered a new trick which is a much easier. If I activate Mission control using command + up-arrow (or the mission control F3 key) the cursor appears and remains present when I go back to my usual window.

Maybe Disablemonitor is part of the problem but I have not been able to track this down, nor found an alternative. I really, really need to make sure the iMac display is not being seen as a valid area and if I didn't have it disabled I would probably lose my mouse over there a dozen times a day, plus probably some windows if an application opened them in that area. It could also be Mission Control that is causing the problem with my cursor somehow disappearing into another space even though I only have one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:53 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, that seems like a miracle cure, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 pm 

You can also move the iMac's display physically to a corner so it's caddycorner to the Dell display and will only have the cursor go over there should you move the mouse into that tiny corner, at which point it is then very easy to get it back since you'd just move in the exact opposite direction of the iMac's monitor.

By caddycorner, I mean place the Dell and iMac displays (in the Displays prefpane) in an arrangement like you'd see on a checkerboard with two squares of the same color. No need for obnoxious software or workarounds to fix the problem of disappearing mouse cursors.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Wow, great tip/idea ST! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:15 pm 

I don't know that the cursor is moving to the iMac screen or that the utility is actually causing any problems. I don't know how to cause the cursor to disappear to do systematic testing and this happens only every couple of days. I tried looking in Console logs but I didn't see anything that flagged misbehavior when this happens.

One of my concerns about leaving the iMac screen active in any location would be if the computer decided it was still a valid location for opening a window. I would have no idea there was one open there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:34 pm 

OS X by default won't open new windows on the non-primary display. It uses whatever display has the menubar in the Displays prefpane. The only time windows should show up on the non-primary display is if you manually move them there and close the app, thus saving the location for future use.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 am 

I was also hoping Disablemonitor would completely disable the iMac's monitor so it isn't on and displaying vertical lines all the time. Unfortunately it can't do that.

I've tried running the other display in extended mode in a diagonal location with Disablemonitor loaded but the iMac enabled and I haven't had any problems so far. The next time I start the computer I'll see how it works with Disablemonitor not loaded at all. Disablemonitor doesn't actually start until you log in so it can't really address one of my main problems which is the Dell not always being recognized as the primary monitor when I shut down the computer fully and then reboot. I then have to try restarting several times and plug in the video cable again until it finally works. In order to avoid that I've been running the computer 24/7. I have recently tried simply restarting using the Finder command (something I have to do weekly with Mavericks to clear bugginess vs. Tiger OS which could run for a full year without rebooting). Because I run the iMac off an external HDD over USB2 it takes a really long time to boot and I have started just going away for half an hour and let it do it unattended. The last couple of times the monitor has been working properly when I came back to my room. I have not tried a full shut down in quite a while but it would be nice to be able to do that. The last time we went on a 3 week vacation I just left the computer on all the time which I'd prefer not to do, but I don't know exactly which incantation and doing things with the video cable get it to work properly again so I just left it on so I would not have 20 minutes of hassle in booting it again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 am 

If the computer isn't remembering primary monitor, it's one of three things:

1) Corrupt NVRAM. Zap the PRAM three times.

2) Misbehaving SMC. Reset the SMC.

3) Dead/dying PRAM battery. Replace the battery, if possible.