XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
Folks:

Starting new thread over here rather than continuing to jack the "brave souls for 10.14?" thread . . . where I've been choking on the usual Apple "you need to pay more to stay with us" . . . with new video card costs as the buy-in to continue on under the wonderful and safe and comfy Apple umbrella to keep my '12 Mac Pro up to snuff. Figured I'd "had enough" and would go over to the "darkside" and install WinDoz . . . ??

Then I read Porkstackers "O my Lord f**k me, please" thread on trying to get a Hackintosh running 10.13 and the issues he had getting that sorted . . . doesn't seem exactly "easy" to get OSX to run on non-Apple hardware . . . . I googled "Windows 10 download" and the server figured out that my 10.13 system couldn't make the proper usb installer as per their specs . . . continued clicking for "home" and it opened a download window for an iso file 4.4 GB . . . which would probably take 4.5 hours to accomplish on my 1.5MB DSL connection--but seems like there is no charge to download 10??? I thought WinDoz itself costs money?? Or is it just on Word and other apps that they make their money these days and the base system is free?

Anyway, read through some other Google posts about installing WinDoz on Mac . . . trying to avoid BC, because it the past when I used it to install linux onto my olde 09 MBP, BC "locked" the HD and I couldn't make any other changes to the HD . . . had to nuke n pave the whole HD to get back to where I was . . . and lately with the EFI versions of linux I haven't needed BC. But, seems like some drivers maybe get installed via BC . . . I'm used to having numerous linux installs running in multiple partitions, and also used to not everything working like it does in OSX . . . trackpad touch features not working and stuff like that--I have all usb plug peripherals.

It does seem like a bit of fiddling to get WinDoz installed, some say, "pull all the other drives" others say, "Not necessary" . . . point being that after so many years of doggedly sticking with Apple . . . versus what would have been cheap thrills via PC . . . I don't know whether going over to 10 will get me anywhere that 10.13 wouldn't get me . . . ?? Plus, having to actually think about "STDs" and Russian hacker bot ataks & stuff, using "protection" or not . . . and then as mr Porkstacker pointed out, short life span of software, possibly affecting hardware components??? His thread seemed to open a clusterf**k of conundrums . . . .

The only urgency to any of this will be the whatever lifespan 10.14 will have on the apple App Store server . . . prolly 10.13 would be "supported" for another few years, I have 4 linux partitions to play with and maintain or upgrade, a number of OSX options going back in time . . . but, we know that Apple drops products . . . only question is "to Be with the latest Apple products . . . or not?" And, maybe, rather than adding Windoz to a Mac . . . just the next machine would likely be PC and then in the meanwhile stay on the Apple Advanced Method and try to find a Metal friendly card for as "cheap" as posible, which would be the "Macintosh luxury tax" quotient, "pay to play" . . . but, would in that sense be "cheaper" in time and effort than "going Darkside"??

I do have VB installed in one of my OSX partitions, but haven't spent too much time with that app . . . I'm conflicted about the dilemma, but unlike Porkstack . . . not blowing my top about it--I'm "OK." :fishsmack: :coffee: :upset: :? :?:

TIA

eep


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm
Posts: 10613
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
You can download installation media from Microsoft for free. This is to try and kill off all the malware-laden OS installation media that have been floating around the internet for the past few years. Windows XP Black Edition, etc. - all preloaded with malware, all completely pointless if you can get genuine media from Microsoft.

If you want to activate the installation, that costs money. Without activation it will nag you that the installation isn't genuine and lock out some settings but it will otherwise keep working and updating. You can get an activation code by purchasing any retail, OEM, or licensing version of Windows.

You will need to install the bootcamp drivers onto Windows after installation to unlock Mac-specific features of your hardware. You don't have to use the bootcamp helper to install Windows, although if you're not dedicating a drive to Windows you might want to use bootcamp to do the installation since there needs to be some padding around the windows partition for it to actually work. If you dedicate a drive to it then it's no big deal, but if you expect to use one drive for everything then you really should do this since I don't know the rules for why they do what they do. I think it lines up on some kind of arbitrary MB boundary but why they don't just let the Macintosh HD partition use that space is beyond me.

Older versions of Intel Macs are limited to 2 bootable partitions per media. I suspect this is what you encountered. Doesn't matter if its Windows, OS X, Linux, anything, two bootable partitions per device. Now if one of those bootable partitions happens to allow you to load several different OSes (e.g. grub) that will work, because those OSes aren't the bootable partition. I think this disappeared with the passing of the baton from Core2 Duo Macs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
@MB:

Thanks for the details . . . free download, pay to activate . . . check. Two partitions only . . . that was on a Core2Duo MBPro . . . using DU I was able to cut the drive into three partitions that work OK.

On the MP I have two drives cut into a bunch of partitions, "bunch" being a technical term meaning more than four . . . and there GRUB has "lost" the EFI partition and the UUID numbers for the swap are confused . . . there I think if I had put all the linux on one drive and OSX on the other it might have been more clear . . . but, hind sight, etc . . . I just had the one drive at first sharing both OSX and linux . . . it's now the second drive divided up and kind of under control . . . . But, right, either WinDoz or 10.14 would likely be in a third drive . . . with its own private space, etc.

Guess I'll be spending the next few months pondering the options . . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 am 
Offline
Benevolent Dictator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 16133
Quote:
Older versions of Intel Macs are limited to 2 bootable partitions per media.

Wow! Can you expound on that a bit, I'm confused.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:15 pm
Posts: 6561
Location: NYC
Puzzled also, as I have 3 bootable partitions/volumes on one of my externals: snow, el cap, sierra. This is on my late '09 iMac, but don't see any reason I couldn't do the same with the '10 Mini. Think I wouldn't have any problem with either of the internals, just don't have enough space for all 3.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
Older versions of Intel Macs are limited to 2 bootable partitions per media.

Wow! Can you expound on that a bit, I'm confused.


I believe he was referring to the issues I had using BC to format the HD for what was then a linux install, but, when I went to try to add a third partition BC had "locked" the HD and DU couldn't further partition the HD . . . . Had to wipe the drive to then be able to use DU to cut into 3 . . . possibly that no longer applies to "modern" BC??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:15 pm
Posts: 6561
Location: NYC
Was reading quickly not paying attention to context.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 pm 
Offline
Benevolent Dictator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:03 am
Posts: 16133
AHA, took me a good hard re-read to understand, thanks ee, W, & MB! :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline
he who stacks pork
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 4431
Location: Uranus
Although my “Oh lord f*ck me please” toned thread may have put apprehensions into your mind, I have to say though, that macOS is not the weak part in the equation, rather, it’s hit-and-miss with the PC hardware reliability. If you have $4,000.00 to plop down on an Apple hardware solution then by all means, please do purchase it, and it will surely last longer than a Hackintosh build. However, for me, I’ve grown accustomed to futzing around with hardware and building up systems over the past few years, and although I do accept the challenge, it is NEVER as easy as the living-in-their-mom’s-basement folks on the Tonymacx86 forums claim it is to get macOS running on PC hardware. There are some maintenance related things that need to be addressed (with every macOS update obviously one needs to read up on what issues could pop with on a Hackintosh). I haven’t had any issues with OS updates though, I just seem to have had the shittiest luck with PC component failures.

If I were made of money, I’d continue to purchase Apple hardware. But I am sadistic so I opt instead to build Hackintoshes for grief and despair.

By all means if you can avoid having to use Windoze OS please do yourself a favour and follow through at all costs. I am convinced that Windoze OS will never be as reliable and predictable as macOS.

-he who stacks pork

_________________
Powerbook 180, System 7.1, 100MB HD, 8MB
Surly 1x1, 9:zero:7 Whiteout, Chinese 29er, Salsa Juan Solo, Gary Fisher Rig, Surly Instigator, Surly Troll, Ahrens Slalom, Frankendale Cannonstein 650b
I enjoy picnics on the beach with hot and crazy women


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Although my “Oh lord f*ck me please” toned thread may have put apprehensions into your mind, I have to say though, that macOS is not the weak part in the equation, rather, it’s hit-and-miss with the PC hardware reliability. If you have $4,000.00 to plop down on an Apple hardware solution then by all means, please do purchase it, and it will surely last longer than a Hackintosh build. However, for me, I’ve grown accustomed to futzing around with hardware and building up systems over the past few years, and although I do accept the challenge, it is NEVER as easy as the living-in-their-mom’s-basement folks on the Tonymacx86 forums claim it is to get macOS running on PC hardware. There are some maintenance related things that need to be addressed (with every macOS update obviously one needs to read up on what issues could pop with on a Hackintosh). I haven’t had any issues with OS updates though, I just seem to have had the shittiest luck with PC component failures.

If I were made of money, I’d continue to purchase Apple hardware. But I am sadistic so I opt instead to build Hackintoshes for grief and despair.

By all means if you can avoid having to use Windoze OS please do yourself a favour and follow through at all costs. I am convinced that Windoze OS will never be as reliable and predictable as macOS.

-he who stacks pork


@stackerofpork:

Yep . . . all of that was made clear in the thread . . . between the blasts of rage were very clear statements about the problems and where they came from . . . with a dose of sardonic humor for flavoring. And, indeed, no free lunch in the world of computers . . . I can at least plead "complete lack of knowledge" about how to put a machine together, so I have so far avoided the problems that would trail my efforts to DIY . . . . I spent a few years trying to get various ubuntu flavors installed on my original '00 iMac . . . which required "blind" console commands to get and install the best video driver for its nvidia card, as well as numerous installs of various linux OSs to run in that PPC computer that Apple had "unsupported" . . . . So, none of this is new . . . .

Thanks to the help from this forum I bought my latest Apple MP 8core used from "Mac of All Trades" for what was then under $1000 bucks . . . and so far haven't put too much dough into it, went to I think 16GB RAM, and added another HD, just because I like having a lot of OSs installed . . . kind of screwed things up a bit . . . just because of liking too many options.

But, I went that way because indeed under all of the hype and noise OSX provides a stable and generally virus free system, and deep down, even though I have two "rolling" distros in OpenSUSE, I like to be able to have a system that will get me where I want to be . . . no fuss, etc. And, since OSX is now coming out with updates every few months, the idea that each time I would have to read the "known issues" page to figure out if upgrading can be done, do the adjustments, figure out what I missed . . . ??? Other stuff to do. With linux I know the console commands to run an update, I run them . . . and can watch as the system "figures it out" . . . rarely in the rolling distros there will be "questions" and options to pick, but they show up in the command line, so "obvious" . . . even though the answer might not be . . . . So far it hasn't broken itself, any of them . . . .

Although OSX does often "break Grub" on updates . . . can take some doing to get it back. So, anyway, thanks for the post . . . don't know what the next machine will be . . . possibly a laptop to schlepp around, and for that it might be a PC or Chromebook . . . something that will take a linux OS . . . . The Apple hardware is generally very good, the prices are too high, and the "buy new every year or we'll drop support" business model is very tedious . . . so if I buy Apple again, it would be used or from their "refurb" store . . . . I did have to buy my iPodTouch6 new . . . but, that item is one of their better deals . . . . :ugeek:

eep


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm
Posts: 10613
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
This dates back to my 2010 Macbook, which I moved off of a couple years ago...

I was able to repartition my Mac side after installing Windows, but it can't resize Windows because Disk Utility can only resize HFS+ partitions. As I said it's got a weird block of empty space in front of the partition. I actually tried to wipe out that blank space when installing Windows and use the entire chunk of space but then Windows won't boot.

When I installed an OS (I think it was Sierra) to the new empty partition it wasn't bootable so I ended up buying some Mac-side backup software that lets you back up the Windows partition, then deleted the nonworking OS X and Windows, created two new empty partitions, installed Sierra onto one of them, verified it worked, then restored Windows to the third... and it didn't boot. I asked the developer and he told me about this two bootable partition limitation. It may only come into play if you have a non-Apple OS installed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:48 pm 
Offline
he who stacks pork
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 4431
Location: Uranus
este.el.paz wrote:
@stackerofpork:

Yep . . . all of that was made clear in the thread . . . between the blasts of rage were very clear statements about the problems and where they came from . . . with a dose of sardonic humor for flavoring. And, indeed, no free lunch in the world of computers . . . I can at least plead "complete lack of knowledge" about how to put a machine together, so I have so far avoided the problems that would trail my efforts to DIY . . . . I spent a few years trying to get various ubuntu flavors installed on my original '00 iMac . . . which required "blind" console commands to get and install the best video driver for its nvidia card, as well as numerous installs of various linux OSs to run in that PPC computer that Apple had "unsupported" . . . . So, none of this is new . . . .

Thanks to the help from this forum I bought my latest Apple MP 8core used from "Mac of All Trades" for what was then under $1000 bucks . . . and so far haven't put too much dough into it, went to I think 16GB RAM, and added another HD, just because I like having a lot of OSs installed . . . kind of screwed things up a bit . . . just because of liking too many options.

But, I went that way because indeed under all of the hype and noise OSX provides a stable and generally virus free system, and deep down, even though I have two "rolling" distros in OpenSUSE, I like to be able to have a system that will get me where I want to be . . . no fuss, etc. And, since OSX is now coming out with updates every few months, the idea that each time I would have to read the "known issues" page to figure out if upgrading can be done, do the adjustments, figure out what I missed . . . ??? Other stuff to do. With linux I know the console commands to run an update, I run them . . . and can watch as the system "figures it out" . . . rarely in the rolling distros there will be "questions" and options to pick, but they show up in the command line, so "obvious" . . . even though the answer might not be . . . . So far it hasn't broken itself, any of them . . . .

Although OSX does often "break Grub" on updates . . . can take some doing to get it back. So, anyway, thanks for the post . . . don't know what the next machine will be . . . possibly a laptop to schlepp around, and for that it might be a PC or Chromebook . . . something that will take a linux OS . . . . The Apple hardware is generally very good, the prices are too high, and the "buy new every year or we'll drop support" business model is very tedious . . . so if I buy Apple again, it would be used or from their "refurb" store . . . . I did have to buy my iPodTouch6 new . . . but, that item is one of their better deals . . . . :ugeek:

eep


:D Oh man I hear your pain on the Ubuntu front. Looking for a new lease on life with my older G4s several years ago, Ubuntu seemed like a step in the right direction. The only problem was that I was CONSTANTLY futzing around with settings and parameters in order to keep it running smoothly… up until the day they dropped quality support for PPC based systems, at which point I totally abandoned the Ubuntu ship.

If you were local to me and Squishy Tia, we’d surely put our collective knowledge and resources together to help you out in regard to the Hackintosh front… obviously Squishy has INCREDIBLE AMOUNTS MORE OF PATIENCE than me, but our group effort so to speak would clearly steer your in the right direction.

Seriously though man… even if you decide to purchase a mangy old 2013 11" Macbook (which although slow as dirt affords the use the macOS experience and can be had for under $500.00) you will not have that bitter Windoze taste in your mouth. I am in the process of attempting to get my PC systems up to date hardware-wise to be Metal compatible so as to completely dedicate them to High Sierra and (possibly) beyond.

I am glad that although callous/stubborn/blunt/expletive-filled my Hackintosh-related posts have been, that you have found the cynical/entertaining humour in them.

-he who stacks pork

_________________
Powerbook 180, System 7.1, 100MB HD, 8MB
Surly 1x1, 9:zero:7 Whiteout, Chinese 29er, Salsa Juan Solo, Gary Fisher Rig, Surly Instigator, Surly Troll, Ahrens Slalom, Frankendale Cannonstein 650b
I enjoy picnics on the beach with hot and crazy women


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 pm
Posts: 2687
Location: Inside Flatus Maximus
BTW, when considering a hackintosh, Apple's iTunes movie DRM (especially anything they might have in 4k) requires Skylake or better CPUs with HDCP 2.2 built in. If your system has any components that aren't HDCP 2.2 certified, they won't play. Haswell/Devil's Canyon gets a slight pass for most stuff as the DRM is done in software for them. But who knows how long that'll stick around.

If I had the money I'd go for broke and get an i9 X299 build. The high amount of PCIe lanes means no barriers for M.2 NVMe drives. The ability to go up to 128 GB RAM is a plus too. A near top end X299 system would rip the iMac Pro to pieces, chew it up, and machine gun fire it out of its exhaust vent as bits of digital shit.

Not that I'd be inclined to do much with it at the moment since Blizzard cut exclusive fullscreen from the Mac World of Warcraft client, killing my ability to play (USB Overdrive needs fullscreen for proper mouse acceleration in that game) and SteerMouse doesn't work right for me).

_________________
Official Mac Tech Support Forum Cookie™ (Mint Chocolate Chip)
Guaranteed tasty; Potentially volatile when dipped in WWIII Forum Syrup®
Caution: This cookie bites back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
Squishy Tia wrote:
BTW, when considering a hackintosh, Apple's iTunes movie DRM (especially anything they might have in 4k) requires Skylake or better CPUs with HDCP 2.2 built in. If your system has any components that aren't HDCP 2.2 certified, they won't play. Haswell/Devil's Canyon gets a slight pass for most stuff as the DRM is done in software for them. But who knows how long that'll stick around.

If I had the money I'd go for broke and get an i9 X299 build. The high amount of PCIe lanes means no barriers for M.2 NVMe drives. The ability to go up to 128 GB RAM is a plus too. A near top end X299 system would rip the iMac Pro to pieces, chew it up, and machine gun fire it out of its exhaust vent as bits of digital shit.


@ST:

I was expecting to hear from you, but I thought you were going to remind me that it appears that the Radeon RX 580 would not be one "flashed for Mac" and so I would lose the keyboard commands for my multi-booting???? No??? I sort of figure that might be the case since the quote was, "Since the installer won't recognize the boot ROM . . ."??? something like that that meant the installer had to be tricked by the old card re-install . . . would mean it was "not flashed for Mac" and would lose the keyboard commands???

But, by way of explanation, the "WinDozTosh" subject line was my attempt (failed) to refer to a Mac that was fiddled with to run WinDoz . . . rather than a DIYer build of PC hardware hacked to run OSX. It was just the idea of running windows on the Mac that I consider to be "darkside" . . . "darkside" in LD motorcycling is the use of car tires on a bike to get more miles . . . with some compromises in cornering smoothness . . . "no free lunch."

So, right now I'm trying to resolve myself to making the Metal-friendly video card change, but, prolly something from "macvidcard" so that it is "Mac-friendly-Metal capable" . . . but, still don't quite have a clue when it comes to the whole "video card" thing. I sort of figure that anything might be "better" than what is installed . . . cheaper or even cheapest might be enough; I'm not a gamer, just will at some point do post camera photo editing, and word-processing. The only caveat would be to perhaps increase the ability of the GPU to run dnet . . . faster than what my CPU can do, which takes too much time/power to do with any enthusiasm. The stock GPU doesn't seem to be able to do the dnet deal with any super-turbo speeds . . . . Still not decided on Nvidia v Radeon . . . might come down to $$ price point . . . I do like the crispness of Nvidia rendering, but Radeon isn't that radically different . . . . If there is a "best bang for the buck" option to get into Metal that recommend would be appreciated . . . .

Spent a little time looking at Macsales options on SSDs for the MP, seemed like previously they had the trays listed with the drives, now it seemed like they just had the various SSD & HD options . . . no mention of trays. Then on some other page they had the drives with trays Plus 4 tools for quite a bit more money than the drives alone . . . seems like "bait n switch"?? A lot of options there . . . ??

Point of all this, whereas the instructions from LCIII weren't overly complicated, it does seem like the indication is that some aspects of capacity on the keyboard would be lost, and that wouldn't work for my multi-boot situation . . . trying to get it to be able to "do" 10.14 . . . as a "MacinTosh" rather than "HackinTosh" . . . .

[edit:] Realizing/remembering from one of the other posts, that, if I switch to Nvidia I would have to "pre-install" the Nvidia drivers, before booting into the Linux options . . . otherwise . . . there would be "no video" . . . . Have to look into that a bit more . . . haven't tested whether I can install Nvidia drivers w/o having the card installed . . . could be a bit of a pain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:07 pm
Posts: 2687
Location: Inside Flatus Maximus
You don't have to pre-install the nVidia drivers. Apple includes basic ones which will work for everything up to the 9xx/10xx series for acceleration. All nVidia GPUs currently available will work without the web drivers, but will only function as a fixed (native) resolution renderer with no acceleration until the web drivers are installed. The web drivers needed depend on your exact OS build. With that info I could point you to the correct web drivers.

Note: For 10xx (Pascal) nVidia GPUs, 10.12.4 or later is required, 10.13.3 or later recommended.

_________________
Official Mac Tech Support Forum Cookie™ (Mint Chocolate Chip)
Guaranteed tasty; Potentially volatile when dipped in WWIII Forum Syrup®
Caution: This cookie bites back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
Squishy Tia wrote:
You don't have to pre-install the nVidia drivers. Apple includes basic ones which will work for everything up to the 9xx/10xx series for acceleration. All nVidia GPUs currently available will work without the web drivers, but will only function as a fixed (native) resolution renderer with no acceleration until the web drivers are installed. The web drivers needed depend on your exact OS build. With that info I could point you to the correct web drivers.

Note: For 10xx (Pascal) nVidia GPUs, 10.12.4 or later is required, 10.13.3 or later recommended.


@ST:

Thanks for the thoughts . . . I was referring to the linux side of things . . . possibly similar situation, as this am I was in U-MATE 18.04 and I ran "lsmod" and all it showed was "radeon" this and that; but in synaptic I ran a rough "nvidia" search and it showed "xserver-video-nouveau" . . . (something like that from memory) . . . as "installed" . . . which I think is the generic driver to provide basic video for nvidia cards . . . and then either the "additional drivers" app or other commands could bring it up to snuff.

eep

[edit: later that same day]: Just spent some time again looking at the macvidcard site, it now looks like they aren't offering any Radeon cards . . . all Nvidia . . . guess it would make that decision easier . . . now it's just "2GB" "3GB" "4GB" or "6GB" cards ranging from "$89 - to $435 . . . otherwise the prices are way out of my price range. I tend to think that the cards that are $120-ish might not last too long or be able to handle the loads of the web these days?? But, then, where to draw the line for "best value"?? Best value would be 10.14 is working as it should . . . .]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
Quote:
near top end X299 system would rip the iMac Pro to pieces, chew it up, and machine gun fire it out of its exhaust vent as bits of digital shit.


Latest update: trying to split the diff between MB's "Don't spend too much money on it" . . . and ST's "machine gun" gamer weapon . . . I read through the posts in the 10.14 thread, compared to the macvidcard offerings and decided to go for the Nvidia GTX 9xx 4GB option . . . clicking on it . . . "sold out" . . . O crap . . . now what? Seems like availability of flashed units is "fluid" on that site . . . ?? Definitely didn't want to spend a grand to get into top gun territory . . . . :whip:

Pulled the trigger on the Nvidia GTX 780?? 3 GB . . . shipped for less than $350 . . . we'll see what/when it shows up . . . this one "doesn't need drivers, doesn't need aux power, and also 'does CUDA'" . . . so maybe that will get me into the CUDA dnetc options for some quick blasts???

eep


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline
he who stacks pork
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:04 pm
Posts: 4431
Location: Uranus
Squishy Tia wrote:
If I had the money I'd go for broke and get an i9 X299 build. The high amount of PCIe lanes means no barriers for M.2 NVMe drives. The ability to go up to 128 GB RAM is a plus too. A near top end X299 system would rip the iMac Pro to pieces, chew it up, and machine gun fire it out of its exhaust vent as bits of digital shit.


I’ve wondered if such a system (or a dual-CPU Intel motherboard system) would take to a Hackintosh macOS installation; any wisdom you can share on this front? A few years back I was looking at used prices on eBay for dual CPU SLANZ (3.2GHz four-core) CPU Dell setups, wondering if they’d take to a Hackintosh macOS installation. What sort of hacks/bodges/etc. needs to be done to boot arguments and within Multibeast to afford a person a sense of reliability in the OS install?

Lo ciento mucho, Señor el Paz, for our hijacking this thread.

-he who stacks pork

_________________
Powerbook 180, System 7.1, 100MB HD, 8MB
Surly 1x1, 9:zero:7 Whiteout, Chinese 29er, Salsa Juan Solo, Gary Fisher Rig, Surly Instigator, Surly Troll, Ahrens Slalom, Frankendale Cannonstein 650b
I enjoy picnics on the beach with hot and crazy women


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
@LP:

Sigh . . . I guess it's OK . . . that was a funny quote from ST, worth the revisit . . . .

Back on track with the OP, got an email yesterday that my "new" card has been shipped . . . that was fast service. I had sent an email asking about local pickup the night before, that wasn't [yet] responded to . . . hoping this one is plug n play . . . .

eep


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
Et al:

In process of installing GTX 780 in Mac Pro 5,1 . . . couple of issues; the old card has a metal square with diagonal arms extending out that seems to be protecting a "cpu" area on the bottom of the card, the "new" card doesn't have that, just the four screws that don't match the old card for size . . . ?? Is this something that is necessary for the life of the card? Also old card had a metal tray that extended over to the fan, also not present with the new card, may or may not be important . . . had the new card in place but it seemed like it wasn't exactly "level" due to perhaps not having the tray underneath it . . . .

I don't know if having this card sitting "naked" on the shelf is going to cause electrical problems for the card, or this is all "OK" to install card without these items? I can see the outline of the square armed item, but, now just 4 screws sitting "proud" a bit above flush . . . . Is this the "adequate" but not original design, OR . . . I need to get this item . . . somehow . . . same thing with tray? Needed or not needed??

Is it OK to just put the card on the shelf plug it in and boot the computer? Even though it looks like a mini-cpu circuit board is now just being "protected" by the 4 screws?? No metal arms and the other end of the card has circuit board looking stuff on the bottom of the card which now would be kept up also by the screwheads that perhaps were holding a "tray" which wasn't included?

Is this "cool" to power up and run?

TIA

eep

PS: What about the power cables?? I remember ST saying something about "6 pin" to "8 pin" and the GTX 780 has two plug connectors for power an 8 to 6 AND a 6 to the 6 pin on the wall . . . guy sent two 8 pin to 6 pin cables . . . scavenged the old cable from the Radeon card . . . plugged them both in??? Is that right?? OR, just do one cable? 8 to 6 or 6 to 6??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm
Posts: 10613
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
I think I need pictures to understand what you're saying.

Although the cable you removed with the old card doesn't belong to the card, it belongs to your system. Its like removing a power cable for your hard drive because you removed the hard drive. The power cable is part of the system, it should always stay with the system (unless you have a replacement cable).

6 pin should match up with 6 pin and 8 pin should match up with 8 pin. All cables must be plugged in, nvidia cards need stupid crazy amounts of power.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
MonkeyBoy wrote:
I think I need pictures to understand what you're saying.

Although the cable you removed with the old card doesn't belong to the card, it belongs to your system. Its like removing a power cable for your hard drive because you removed the hard drive. The power cable is part of the system, it should always stay with the system (unless you have a replacement cable).

6 pin should match up with 6 pin and 8 pin should match up with 8 pin. All cables must be plugged in, nvidia cards need stupid crazy amounts of power.


@MB:

Appreciate the quick reply . . . I do have some pictures on the iPod . . . could get to that if needed. So, OK, the two cables for power should be connected . . . which I did, using the old cable for the Radeon which I think was 6 larger to 6 smaller . . . . Plus one of the 8 larger to 6 smaller that the MacVid guy sent out . . . two 8 to 6 were sent, didn't know if the one 8 had to be "modified" via box cutter to make it 6? Seemed not kosher . . . . So, anyway it's plugged in via two power cables as we speak.

The other question(s) was relating to the bottom of the new Nvidia card . . . where previously (and on the radeon card) was a silver metal square with 4 diagonal arms radiating out and screwed in to mount points, and that seemed to be "protecting" what looks like some kind of "command center" / mini-cpu looking area . . . . The old card one is too small for the new card, so I can't transfer it over, the new card just has the screws that would mount that metal protector there, and the screws are left a bit above the surface, so they, in theory, would be holding the bottom surface away from the computer shelf . . . without the metal protector item (that clearly was there at some point in the Nvidia card's life) . . . .

And, then, the Radeon card had what would be like a HD mount tray screwed into the bottom of it, seemingly to also lift the bottom of the card away from touching the surface of the shelf??? But, that tray didn't seem to line up with the new card vis the screw holes . . . looks like the bottom of the Nvidia card has "paths" on it . . . anyway, I have it now installed in the computer, seemingly "naked" on the bottom except for the screws around the "command center" . . . just trying to find out if that would be "OK" to power up (as it was sent to me by MacVid) . . . OR, whether there should be some "tray" mounted to the bottom of the card like the Radeon???

Still need photos?? :snail:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
Attachment:
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG [ 34.2 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]


IMG _1158 is the original Radeon card with the metal protector & tray (in shadow)

Attachment:
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG [ 39.09 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]


This is the new card with nothing on the bottom

Attachment:
IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1160.JPG [ 44.83 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]


1160 is the close up on the screws standing up above the surface a tad bit.

Attachment:
IMG_1161.JPG
IMG_1161.JPG [ 41.82 KiB | Viewed 850 times ]


1161 is the other end of the bottom of the Nvidia card . . . no "tray" to protect the bottom


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm
Posts: 10613
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
That's a backplate and is typically only used when there's something heavy on the other side of the card that will cause the PCB to deform.

So long as you latch it into the x16 slot and manage the wrangle the other end of the card into the chassis slots (sometimes they're a bear) then it's locked down.

http://www.macvidcards.com/installation ... or-51.html

At the bottom of figure three and four you can see the little hoops (notches) near the motherboard, part of the chassis slot. The tab(s) at the bottom of the card has to fit into the notch(es). Sometimes the card's tab will glide over the top of them, towards the motherboard, and it won't fit properly. If that's happened you may have to bend the tabs "out" a little so they'll slide into that notch.


Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm
Posts: 1063
MonkeyBoy wrote:
That's a backplate and is typically only used when there's something heavy on the other side of the card that will cause the PCB to deform. So long as you latch it into the x16 slot and manage the wrangle the other end of the card into the chassis slots (sometimes they're a bear) then it's locked down.


@MB:

So, you are basically saying that the bottom three photos are "fine" and that it is OK to set the card down on the shelf like that and fire it up? It's all "locked n loaded" . . . just didn't want to power it up if there is some problem with the card touching the shelf?? Nothing else is stacked on it, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group