XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:59 pm 

I am interested in backing up my iMac and I believe Apple suggests that Time Machine is the App to use. I have already backed up iTunes, but I had an older iMac PPC which died several years ago, which I never backed up and wish I took the time to back up that computer. I really do not keep any important documents on my computer, but if the iMac ever becomes corrupt, I would need a clean slate to start from to rebuild the system.

If anyone can assist, I would really appreciate it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Very best in my opinion is a local copy or 2, get an external drive & clone the internal drive. Time machine is second option with a 2nd external drive.

Remote or cloud backupm isb more for avoiding possible locl hazards like fire or vin my cse roof failure & record rainfall.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 pm 

B,

If you remember I live in Garibaldi, on the Oregon Coast and three years ago, our basement had three feet of water in it because our Sump Pump broke down and it took us three days to get a sump pump at the local Rental store in Tillamook because US 101 was closed in Tillamook. So flooding can be an issue HERE, AND needless to say I DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN :roll: I would like to be prepared in case something does happen.

I have a 2TB external drive attached to the iMac, which contains both my wife's and my iTunes back up on it.

You mentioned a "local copy or 2". How exactly is that done? So, you are not in favor of using Time Machine. I am really looking for something that will back up the OS, since Apple never supplies a bootable OS Disk with with any computer they sell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:32 pm 

There are three general methods to create a duplicate of your OS and copy it to another location.
1. macOS' Disk Utility's Restore. You can explore Disk Utility's help, and then by typing 'Restore a disk' for guidance.
2. cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!
3. Apple's Time machine.

All essentially do the same thing, make a copy of your OS and place it in another location. Time machine goes one further and takes snapshots of any changes you are making and copies those incremental changes to a timeline so you can choose which version you want to restore. Personally I think that level of detail is unneccessary when you average user simply wants a disaster recovery solution.

I use Superduper! exclusively, and let it run once a week or a bit longer. Also after you installed Sierra, you would have a Recovery Partition placed on your hard drive, which among other things can reinstall your OS.

About macOS Recovery