XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 am 

To do an SMC reset on my 2011 iMac (El Cap) - should I turn off the UPS and disconnect the iMac power cord from the UPS?
OR is it OK to just turn off/shut down the UPS and unplug the UPS from the wall (which is much easier than unplugging the iMac from the UPS)?

I don't know if the UPS being turned off totally disables the backup battery or could there still be something functioning there?

And I still don't know which directions to follow (nor, actually, if I need to do this on the iMac since things are running smoothly since the upgrade from Snow, except that opening Google is slow and it's slow to let me begin typing into the search box.

Directions for SMC reset for desktop on Apple's site:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Unplug the power cord.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Plug the power cord back in.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

This topic has been discussed here recently I know but I'm still confused:
https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8142
I learned there that the 15 seconds and 5 seconds are minimums, I can exceed them and don't need to hold a stopwatch whilst doing this - but I still don't know about the directions here:

Conflicting instructions from older link - do the above, or these - since my iMac is old?
1. Shut the machine down
2. Unplug it from the power
3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds
4. Plug it back in and turn it on.

As always thanks for listening to my (trivial) questions

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Unplug the Mac from the UPS, might it be easier to just pull the power plug from the back of the Mac?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:24 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Unplug the Mac from the UPS, might it be easier to just pull the power plug from the back of the Mac?

Yes it would be easier to unplug that way - I didn't think of that!

Do you think I need to do this reset?
Everything on the iMac has been working just fine since the upgrade (?) to El Cap except for that one blank screen at restart (and the fact that Google is slower to allow me to type in the search box than it used to be in Snow)

I haven't done anything except power down and up two times - once for a thunder storm and once just to test to be sure it had no issues.
iMac seems to be working just fine.

If you say yes, do it, am I right that on the other thread you said for the same year 2011 iMac, you did the SMC using the first (newer) set of directions I gave above -
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Unplug the power cord.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Plug the power cord back in.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

That is the one I'd try.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
That is the one I'd try.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

But, if things are OK - is there a reason to do it? Or is Google search box slow to accept text reason enough?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I doubt the google thing has anything to do with iy, though I see no harm in trying it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 am 

I wouldn't blame your hardware for any sloth by Google which is software based.
Maybe Google is just taking its time re-reading all your emails etc. :lol:

Seriously, after an upgrade the fresh Spotlight can slow things down by re-scanning your HD.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:20 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I doubt the google thing has anything to do with iy, though I see no harm in trying it. :)

roam wrote:
I wouldn't blame your hardware for any sloth by Google which is software based.
Seriously, after an upgrade the fresh Spotlight can slow things down by re-scanning your HD.

Thanks both for the comments.

I don't think I'll do the SMC on the iMac though I might on Mr H's MBP which just seems plain old sluggish.
Yes, I know there's a different set of SMC reset instructions for MBP with and without removable batteries and the removable battery steps are those I should take on his MBP>

I did notice that he doesn't have much free/ empty space, which might slow things down?
It seems as if there is less space since the upgrade, but I haven't been watching. I

'm going to put his iPhoto v7 library on an external (He rarely accesses it once he's done with the work at hand and having a copy elsewhere shouldn't be a problem - thoughts here welcome:https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8165 ) That should free up about 30GB.

Mr H has the same Google issue on his MBP - but he had this issue even before the upgrade to El Cap he says. I just have to learn to be patient - if I start typing before Google is engaged my letters go nowhere.

Spotlight should be done with it's whatever by now - it's been a month since the upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:13 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
I did notice that he doesn't have much free/ empty space, which might slow things down?
It seems as if there is less space since the upgrade, but I haven't been watching. I

Mods assuredly, how much Free Space is it?

What DNS numbers are you using?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:04 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:

Mods assuredly, how much Free Space is it?

Not much - 20GB free out of 120 total.

I'm going to remove the iPhoto lib nd put it on an external - that will free up another 30GB.
So it'll be 50 free out of 120. Is that sufficient?
(very hard to type without a's)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

That should be good... once Spotlight reindexes things.

Maybe do a Safe Boot to clear caches.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:46 pm 

Mrs H wrote:

I don't think I'll do the SMC on the iMac though I might on Mr H's MBP which just seems plain old sluggish...

Today, we did the SMC and PRaM reset on the MBP. (note, still no "a" new KB arrives Friday- so forgive me if I don't manage to insert them all with 'command v'

Hopefully this will fix the can't wake from sleep and fan is whirring when nothing is going on and MBP is supposedly sleep (otherwise, what to do next???):

This happened 3 times since the upgrade to El Cap so we decided we needed fix.
after the MBP was asleep for about 2.5 hours, he couldn’t get it to wake up - this never happened before. (And of course I didn’t think to check all the ways to wake it up in such a situation) but the way Mr H usually wakes up the MBP didn’t work - strike any key, or click the mouse, then he tried the trackpad. Nothing - just a black screen. He tried command - option - esp — nothing. Finally turned it off by holding the power button for 8+ seconds. We unplugged the USB hub, and disconnected the magsafe power and then reconnected that. The power button worked to shut it off and then on again - we got the turn on noise beep (he keeps sound at silent, but there is a little alert sound at power up anyway) and the screen lighted, then it blackened for a second (minor heart failure on my part) then the noise beep again and the screen got light again and stayed light - the apple and progress bar appeared - the fan whirred (He says it was whirring when we thought it was dead and we couldn’t wake it up - strange that the fan would whir if asleep - but I’ve been thinking the MBP fan often whirs too much, which is one of the symptoms that SMC reset is supposed to fix)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:48 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
...... once Spotlight reindexes things.

Maybe do a Safe Boot to clear caches.

Oh, this is what we need to do next??? I missed that note.

How long should it take for spotlight to reindex? It's been a month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Normally under a day or 2.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:48 pm 

It'll take less time if you set the system to never sleep and just leave it open and running for a day or so. But it depends on the amount of stuff it needs to index.