XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Should I get these?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:12 am 

Any opinions about these? Really close by. Right now I am still limping along with my Tiger G4 but some websites don't behave with TFF, plus much of my software is geared to Mavericks. I'm holding out for a 2012 Mini, or 2.5 GHz 2011 model but I am shying away from the $600+ prices. I am wondering if for $53 it's worth getting an iMac and using it with my external for at least an interim thing? Maybe I could even talk them into selling me one of them for $30.

Most importantly can I get the 2008 iMac to work with an external monitor?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 02444.html

Post subject: Re: Should I get these?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:08 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Which one has the bad Video? The 2008 iMc would be useful... with more RAM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:41 am 

As far as I know both have bad video. I just received a reply from the owner, of whom I specifically asked about it working okay with an external monitor:

Quote:
Sure I would sell you just the one (2008) iMac for $30. The first picture in the ad shows that iMac hooked up to a Dell monitor, so we could erase files and clear all info, so it should be fine if you have an external monitor.

My understanding now is the first image in the CL post is of the computer itself hooked up to the Dell monitor on the left.
So it appears it works with an external monitor (which I already have).

Would the RAM be worth upgrading? It has 4* and can only take 6 which isn't much of a bump. Also since this isn't a fully functional computer and because of the dead monitor is a bit of a nuisance in terms of wasted space I am kind of regarding it as a disposable item. I might upgrade if I can get the RAM for next to nothing. Looking at OWC it would cost me $90 to upgrade a 2 GB module to 4 GB!!

* The text description seems to be a copy and paste from somewhere but if you look at the last image in the ad it says 4 GB RAM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, with external Monitor it should be OK, does it include the cable?

My 2007 iMac, which uses & has the same 6GB RAM, died at last rain, screen was pure white, restart & I get the 3 beeps, which means no good Banks, I suspect the RAM is good & there Mobo got wet, but can't test the RAM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Huge difference in 4 GB & 6 GB on my Mid 2007 iMac when I was running 10.6/10.7, basically 4 GB = no free RAM.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:46 pm 

It's not clear what it includes. It listed some stuff (KB, mouse, cables) but that was in the original ad which was for both items. I already have a Miniport-->DVI cable and DVI extender cable from using my MacBook with the computer so if it isn't part of it then no biggie.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/i ... emory.html

says the model is a iMac8,1 whereas the 2007 line is iMac7,1 and use different RAM. :(

The other 'fun' part will be getting the iMac display to turn off since I don't need it sitting there showing a crazy pattern all the time. I see https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor but I don't know if you can you use it remotely on a monitor you can't actually view.

Well, for $30 maybe it's worth the experiment. If I can talk him into the keyboard and the mouse then I guess I'll be ahead on the deal no matter what, and as long as it can work at a moderate speed then it'll be better than my 2002 G4.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 pm 

Okay, I now have the iMac on my desk. I have it plugged into the DVI-in on my Dell monitor (the G4 still attached to the VGA-in). I am using the cable and adapter the guy had with his Dell monitor. I tried it out at his house and all worked fine. When I boot the computer here my monitor is telling me there's no DVI signal. The iMac is on because I can see stripes on its monitor. I have tried force re-booting several times and the last time I held down the shift key in case it was still trying to use a display preferences from the guy's monitor. That actually doesn't make sense anyway because it wasn't set up to auto login.

Is there something I am missing here? I am used to computers automatically recognizing second displays but usually I also have them set to auto login.

On one try I did get a big swirly pattern to appear but when I moved the mouse I saw no change. Sbsequent restarts, nothing other than the no DVI cable message.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:19 pm 

I am trying it with a different monitor now. I still couldn't get it to work with the DVI adapter so I am using a VGA adapter. This is an old Sony monitor, one of the squarish ones. I can now see a kind of pattern in the background which looks a bit like colored clouds and am recalling that may have been the login desktop for Yosemite. I definitely don't see any menus or any movement when I move the mouse around.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Could it be stuck in Extended mode instead of Mirror?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:48 pm 

DDR2 memory prices are going north and have been for some time. Sometimes you can get a 2x2 kit for $30, but a few weeks later they can jump to $50, $60. A couple years ago you could get a 2x2 for around $20.

You could try reseating the memory in case one of them got jogged loose. Should be behind a little door at the bottom of the iMac held in by one or two screws.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 am 

I think I have discovered the problem. The display port to DVI adapter is faulty. It has to be in at just the right angle to get any signal across. Even then the signal is messy with lines on the screen and sometimes scaling issues. If you can get it to exactly the right position you get a perfect display, but if a wind blows across the room then you lose it. I think this may have resulted when the guy (who had had a stroke and had understandable problems) removed the cables which I think he just jerked out of the back. I was able to test this by using a display port to VGA adapter (and a second monitor to isolate the quirky behavior my Dell can have for the DVI port when used in this manner) which I do have but my other DVI one is a mini display port to DVI. Of course things aren't made any easier by not seeing what is on the main monitor. Anyway, I am now in the market for a display port to DVI connector.

On the memory side, the computer does have 2x2=4 GB RAM. It currently has Yosemite on the 250 GB HDD, When I checked yesterday Yosemite was using 3.21 GB so you are right BDAqua, that doesn't leave much for applications. I don't know if downgrading to Mavericks would help. MonkeyBoy, it is reporting both RAM chips, the issue is 4 isn't much these days and this one can take a maximum of 6 which means replacing one of the 2 modules with a 4 module.

I removed my old 2.5" drive from the MacBook and it is a 1 TB HDD drive with Mavericks on it. I am wondering if I should just use it as a bootable external drive with a Voyageur dock, or if it is worth the hassle of installing Mavericks on the 250 GB internal and re-configuring everything to use the 1 TB as a data-only external.

I am trying to see if I can use a utility to disable the display on the iMac. I tried DisableMonitor but maybe I need to restart the computer, or maybe I was right in reading somewhere somebody said it doesn't work with Yosemite.

Oh, I don't think I mentioned this but I got the entire package in the CL ad for $30, including the AL keyboard, a Rocketfish mouse and the white iMac. He said if I didn't want the older iMac he was just going to put it on CL for free. It has Tiger on it and should I need it I also have a SnowLeopard Server installer disc I bought 2 years ago but never even opened.

Edit: What is the actual adapter called? I look for one online but all I can see are "mini displayport" adapters. I have one of those already, or at least whatever I used with my late 2008 MacBook, and it is too small. The one I need has a similar appearance but it about twice the size of the mini at the end that plugs into the computer. Of course I try to look on Apple's adapters web page but none of the text appears because of the font errors I discussed in another post. :(

Edit2: I think it is called "Mini-DVI" to DVI, and no, the local Apple Store does not have them. :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-DVI-DVI-Ada ... B001G8DTN0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:48 am 

For the cable check out monoprice. They usually have decent inexpensive stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:58 am 

Yeah, and none of Monoprice's buttons work with my ESR build of TFF which I have to use because I don't have a monitor cable for the computer with a version that does... :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Does Add to Cret button work?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4851

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:28 pm 

Add to Cart? No, it does not.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm 

Limnos wrote:
On the memory side, the computer does have 2x2=4 GB RAM. It currently has Yosemite on the 250 GB HDD, When I checked yesterday Yosemite was using 3.21 GB so you are right BDAqua, that doesn't leave much for applications. I don't know if downgrading to Mavericks would help.

I'm on Mavs also with 2+2 GB RAM and 3.24 GB is being used, so that's almost identical to what you have. Presuming this tiny sample of one is representative.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:41 pm 

roam: Ergh. I am recalling Firefox taking up 1.5 GB RAM on its own. :o

BDAqua: Managed to order one through Monoprice by selecting the "Quick Order" feature at the top which lets you type in the product ID (got it from the URL). Now I wait up to 10 days (had another commitment this afternoon so I missed getting the order in "today").

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 pm 

Actually with those 6GB models you're better off getting 2x4GB because then it will interleave across modules with performance boost, at least for memory operations (which are pretty significant).

Also, when I turn off uBlock Origin on monoprice.com I can add an item to my cart in TFF FPR1. I'm in the midwest and stuff usually arrives in 2-3 days from monoprice... though it really depends on how fast the postal service is in your neck of the woods. If it helps at all I've installed 3 or 4 of those adapters over the past five years or so and not a single one has failed yet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:42 pm 

MB: This early 2008 iMac is a slight step down from the late 2008 Macbook I was previously running. I am kind of reluctant to spend any real money on it, especially given the price of RAM for this model and given that the display is bad. Buying two 4 GB modules (from OWC) would cost $180!!

I am also not yet certain I can get the display to deactivate. It's annoying to have the bad display showing all the time I am using the computer.

I have narrowed my computer search to a 2012 Mini. The 2011 2.5GHz model also seems attractive though subsequent reading suggests one is taking a chance on iffy display cards and I don't want to spend $400 on a computer and suddenly have the card go on me. The 2012 i7s are attractive in that they are faster, but they cost a lot and I don't know if heat would become an issue. Maybe a 2012 i5 is the right way to go?

I'm in Minneapolis so midwest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 am 

Ho-hum, ho hum. :snail: Ordered a cable from Monoprice a week ago last Friday and still no show. I called them today and they are submitting a notice to the delivery company which may entail another week's wait. Their email information is hard to reconcile with what it says on the website, and of course many of the things the person on the phone suggested I do will not work with TFF on this computer.