XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm 

The majority of files that I have created and placed in Dropbox are MS Word .docx files. Since purchasing a new iMac, my current System does not have MS Word. I only have the Apple's Suite of Pages, Numbers and Keynote. I selected a .docx file from the Dropbox Directory and attempted to print it and naturally it failed. Dropbox became non responsive and I had to FORCE QUIT the App. Dropbox displayed a message stating 'Dropbox is not allowed to print, and to contact Application vendor for an update'. Do I have to have Word installed for the document to print and if so, is there a way to change all the documents from .docs to .pages since I do not plan on placing MS Office on the iMac.?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:18 pm 

Maybe you do, but that's kind of weird. Can't speak to the Dropbox's permissions.

I know it's not the same but I just hit Command-P on a .pdf in my dropbox folder and that worked, can you get any kind of preview of the file when you hit the spacebar? If not then I guess you'd have to use Numbers (or something similar).

Preview.app opens .doc files, not sure about .docx.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:32 pm 

It sounds like your .docx files are set to open in the Dropbox application, not Pages. Dropbox, the application, has no idea what to do with .docx files. Pages might, but the formatting is likely going to be messed up.

I would strongly recommend not converting your .docx files to .pages files, every version of Pages writes a different kind of .pages file and you have to have that same version of Pages or newer to open it. There is no standard file format ending in .pages, every single version of Pages writes it different. I would stay as far away from Pages and this formatting insanity as you can get.

How about Open Office? Libre Office? They're free and can open .doc files. The formatting can still get messed up but it seems to get the formatting "right" a lot more often than Pages.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:43 pm 

MonkeyBoy,
This is a .sample section of the directory of th of the files that were created in Word and saved as a .docx extension in Dropbox:
Attachment:
dropbox1.tiff
dropbox1.tiff [ 90.7 KiB | Viewed 1213 times ]

And this is how one of the documents appeared when I selected it
Attachment:
dropbox3.tiff [245.37 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I am familiar with Open Office and Libre Office, but you say STAY AWAY from Pages? I'm confused, I thought Pages was suppose to open/Edit documents created in WORD. Am I incorrect in my assumption? :idea:

If I happen to load Open Office or Libre Office, how would I get either of those Apps to open a document from Dropbox and then save it back to dropbox?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:49 pm 

Pages will open Word documents, but often introduces formatting changes when reading .doc or writing back out to .doc. If you don't encounter these issues then there's no problem staying with Pages.

What you don't want to do is convert .doc files into .pages files. As i said .pages files are only readable by the version of Pages that wrote them out (or a newer version). This means that if you have the OS X 10.12 version of Pages and save a .pages document out, you can't go to an OS X 10.10 version and open that file - it will fail because the .pages file was written out by a newer version. And Apple releases new versions of Pages all the time, not just with major OS X releases.

The official way to get around this problem is to export the document to Pages '09 format, which is openable by Pages '09 and newer, but at that point you introduce the same issues with .doc (formatting changes) so you may as well just save it out as .doc.

If you get info on a .doc file you can choose what application opens that file. You can, optionally, choose to apply that change to ALL doc files, not just the one you got info on. One of your screenshots isn't attached and the other one doesn't seem to apply to any version of the Dropbox client I've seen (and despite being a curmudgeon at home, I do use current versions of OS X at work). Are you using the Dropbox website? I use the client so I get to see the files in a folder and can interact with them, well, like any other folder.

I actually gave up on Dropbox for my personal use though - Amazon Cloud offered me 5 times the space for free, and I was forever bumping up against the free account limit in Dropbox.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:51 pm 

MonkeyBoy,

Sorry about the attachments. Presently I am using the Dropbox App, Appbox for Dropbox from the the Apple App Store. I guess I should try dropbox.com via a browser to see if I encounter the same issue :bonk: I remember BDAqua mentioning that in an earlier issue I was asking about Dropbox, sorry about that :snail:.

One question and I apologize for this question, because my brain seems a little fried about now. If a document I want to read and then print is only in Dropbox, Could I use Pages to open it? And how would recommend I accomplish that task?
Blazer88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:10 pm 

I'm really unfamiliar with the screenshot you posted though. Was that from iOS? Or is there a Dropbox app in the Mac App Store on OS X (macOS)? I just get my Dropbox client from dropbox.com. If you're using some third party app that's just going to create headache for you, if not now then eventually. The dropbox client is free, I don't know a good reason to not use it.

The Dropbox website is kind of meh but it does work. I use the website interface for Amazon on my G5 since they don't make a compatible client for that old beast.

Edit: Wait. App for Dropbox from the mac app store? Published by Joacim Stahl? That's a scam app. You give them your dropbox account name and password and they login to dropbox for you... which means they can log into your dropbox account at any time. I would get rid of it and change your account password. Never use third party clients unless the first party doesn't make a compatible client. Since dropbox makes a macOS client (available from their help page) I would certainly just use that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:55 pm 

This particular App, I do not think was published by Joacim Stahl. The App Store only displays the Seller's name as Song Hao (See attachment)
Attachment:
DropBox App.tiff [378.59 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I believe this App is Mac OS and not IOS since I launched the App Store on my iMac.

:upset: Maybe I should uninstall theAppBox for Dropbox App on my iMac and download the DropBox App directly from Dropbox's website. The only problem I have is how to uninstall the App You wouldn't be able to help me there, would you?

BTW, I launched DropBox through a Browser and I was able to get a document to print and I was able to edit a documents after a little experimentation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 pm 

Blazer, I'd just drag drag it from Applications to the trash, and empty it. What remnants, if any, left would be passive and void.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:28 pm 

I appreciate the assistance. I will give it a shot and hopefully I won't bother you any more.

Thanks,
Blazer88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:22 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

There'll be more important stuff to remove than just the App, this will tell us what...

EtreCheckĀ is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 am 

Blazer, it is no bother at all. If you have any more questions do ask, even though my knowledge is limited, compared to others here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:30 am 
Benevolent Dictator

What bother, you're helping us hone our skills & many others viewing these posts!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 pm 

Drag it to the trash, empty the trash, if it fails to empty the trash (because the app is in use) reboot, then empty the trash.

Be sure to change your password on dropbox's website! After you change your password you will have to go around to each and every system connected to Dropbox and put in the new password.

I've had pretty good luck with malwarebytes catching anything that's snuck into a system, though hopefully Apple's maintained their walled garden well enough to prevent it:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

The thing about Dropbox & just trashing the App, is that they install a couple of Launch Daemons or whatever that will continue to interfere with normal operation until you trash those also. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:11 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
The thing about Dropbox & just trashing the App, is that they install a couple of Launch Daemons or whatever that will continue to interfere with normal operation until you trash those also. :)
Usually the plists survive but the executables are under the application itself. So you have a bunch of plists leftover that can't load their executables.

Given that this is a borderline malware app all bets are off, but getting rid of the app is a good first step.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Agreed.