XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 pm 

This is a really strange issue not sure if anyone has any insite on this at all.

I have a 2008 Xserve (3.0ghz eight core, if that makes a difference at all) that has been a real pest! It is running OS X Server 10.6.8. Most of the drives I put in it, it will refuse to spin up or it spins them up but OS X will not see them. I have both the RAID backplane and non RAID backplane for it. The drive bay LEDs will sometimes be Green for the drives I'm testing or they light is off completely, but in OS X they will not show up.

So far its only been able to initialize and see 3 of my drives. Two of which are SATA 3.0GBps Seagate 7200 ES drives both 750Gb. The boot drive is a old Sata 1.5Gbps Hitachi Deskstar (or as i call them Hitachi Deathstars)

A co-worker informed me that Xserves only like enterprise level drives. I couldn't find to much about this online that confirms this.

Drives that did not work where consumer level Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 - 7200.11s, WD Blues did not work as well, A Dell Firmware WD Red worked fine. I tested these drives on windows machines so they work fine for them. It seams to me that they don't like consumer drives for whatever reason.

If anyone else has a Intel xserve do you have any drive issues like this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:23 pm 

Don't have an Intel Xserve, but I know there have been controller issues with some SATA drives that won't allow the faster-spec drive to be recognized by the slower-spec controller.

I'm pretty sure this was mostly resolved by the time of Intel Macs, but you may want to check your drives to see if any of the jumpers can be set to control speed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Default hard drive is SATA, but it supports SATA and SAS drives.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/x ... specs.html

What size are the unsupported drives? 36TB may be a limit...

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/xse ... 08-3.0-ghz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:51 am 

The drives size of the drives that are not working are older 500Gb (Seagate 7200.11), 160Gb and 250Gb (Seagate 7200.9 and 7200.10), 320Gb (Dell WD Blue Forget model / drive revision) and a few others.

I know that all those Seagates are SATA II. I'll double check the jumper settings to see if there set to SATA I or anything silly. I don't have any SAS drives at the moment but I could get test a SAS drive from work later this week and see if it accepts it. The Dell WD Red is a plain SATA drive.

Originally the RAID backplane was having issues, or I at least thought it did since no drives would mount and I could not install OS X Server 10.6. Then the controller would disappear as in the Xserve did not recognize it and would say "There is no RAID on this system". I do plain on using it for ESXI later on so I do wonder if this OS X being silly and just not mounting the drives for whatever reason. Currently it has the non RAID backplane in it, I might put the RAID backplane back in to see if it rejects the same drives as it was rejecting with the non RAID.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:52 pm 
Master

You must use SATA 1.5 Gb/s drives with those machines (I've never seen any drive other than SATA I work with them, and I've tried a lot of drives -- I've got a fleet of those machines and have had to do drive replacements). Some SATA 2.0 drives had a jumper you could set to set the drive to SATA 1.0 mode. If you can do that most drives will work. The trick is most drives these days are SATA 3.0 and those can't be jumped back to 1.0 speeds. I don't remember technically exactly what causes this incompatibility, but feel like I've run in to informed speculation in the past...

I'm not sure about SAS drives, but I'd bet there's a similar limitation.

If you have $$$$ and extra rack space you can install a bootable RAID card in the xServe and connect an external drive chassis: It'll be faster, more reliable, more expandable, etc., and won't be as picky about drives. Unfortunately it's also a very expensive solution.

I suspect a lot of the drives OWC links to for that machine aren't actually compatible, and if you check their compatibility matrix the xServe is missing for (at least som -- I didn't check them all) of the non-SATA I drives.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:33 pm 

Anonymous,

Sounds like something apple would do XD. I'll test this out on Thursday which is my day off work and see if I can get some drives to work and maybe even my RAID backplane (which could be bad) or it could of been that the disks where just not in SATA I mode.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:18 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I wonder if it's like the later G5s, where having a true SATA 1 drive in slot 0 allowed otherwise unusable SATA 2 & SATA 3 drives to then magically work?

I think it was mostly a programming error that looked for SATA 1 drive on bouts & if not found just dropped SATA, & the newer drives never got a chance to automatically step down... well, that & the Firmware on those Auto SATA drives.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:38 pm 

I never heard of that with the SATA 1 drives in slot 0 on the later G5s. I should check how my Quad is configured it has a old 36Gb 15k velociraptor from like 2004 ( Boots OS X crazy fast but crazy loud).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:42 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, I know for sure it works on the Dual Core ones from several reports, never heard back from earlier G5 users.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:13 pm 

Ill have to try it on the 2005 2.5ghz dual I got at my buddies house and see if I can put my disks from the Quad in it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:12 pm 

My 2.3Ghz dual hasn't had any issues with disks yet, but I think the last disk I put in there was a 1TB Samsung...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 am 

I heard too that the G5s hate SSDs. I heard that its because the G5 has only SATA I but I slammed a SSD in my Blackbook and that worked fine and thats SATA I. I'm assuming its just the weird SATA controller on the G5 that hates them or chipset (if the G5 has one or something similar).

Sadly I haven't had time to play with my Xserve more, my home server just went berserk and I been trying to fix it. Its Server 2012 R2 Datacenter which is just windows 8.1 and its a Microsoft product so ewwww. I would like to switch to OS X server fully at one point when I can. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmmm, OWC says this SSD is compatable with even the 1st PM G5...

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ADPTA3G480/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:14 pm 
Master

I never had as many problems with G5s as I did with xServes. The latter are consistently a problem, but the G5s were more hit-or-miss...or perhaps when I had to deal with G5s the drives were more frequently compatible. What was the precise incompatibility with the G5s and which model(s) did it apply to?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:18 pm 

Find 2009 or SAS drive carriers, everything, absolutely everything about your life will improve. The SATA drive carriers for the 2006 and 2008 Xserve are just awful.

Edit: They're easy to spot they have orange-brown flex cables.