XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm 

I recently transferred my iTunes Library to an iMac. I used a MacBook 2,1 to manage music for an iPad, 3rd Gen and an archaic 80GB Color iPod. I also have an iPhone 4s which was not compatible with the MacBook's OS. The iPad currently holds the entire iTunes Music Library and its Playlists. I will soon be inheriting an iPod touch and would like the iTunes in the iMac to manage music for both the iPod and iPhone also. I received a recommendation from sberman of ASC and he recommended that I try his recommendation below: "You can always place a checkmark in iTunes next to the specific songs you wish to sync (and remove it from the others), and then choose "Sync only checked items" on the iPod's summary page in iTunes.

I am thinking of placing the whole Library on the iPod, but would only like to place a fraction of the Library on the iPhone. I slightly altered sberman's recommendation and built a iPhone Playlist, so I could keep track of the music selections on the iPhone. By following his directions if I uncheck all music entries and then recheck the music selections I want on the iPhone, then the checked entries would be the only music synced to the iPhone (that is hopefully what I understood).

But what I was hoping, there would be checkboxes next to music in the Playlist, so I would not have to go to the main Song Library in search of the music titles I checked for the iPhone, in case I wanted to add or delete music to that playlist. I am not finding any check boxes in the playlist

Would you know of a resource that explains the check box function and what it actually does when checked or unchecked.

I am open to any alternative recommendations you might have on how to manage the three IOS devices.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:18 am 

So this can be confusing, because there are parts of the process that look the same but are not.

Selecting 'Music' from the drop down menu in iTunes that has Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts etc will show you everything you have in your iTunes library in the large pane to the right. On the left under any iOS devices you have connected are your playlists.

The way I added songs to a play list was - check the songs I wanted to add, then drag them over to the playlist and drop them in. You can do one song at a time of course. IIRC as you drag you'll see a number appear showing how many items you are putting in that playlist. That doesn't move anything out of your library, just adds the tunes to the playlist.

Then, to sync that playlist select your connected iPhone from the very small dropdown menu under the volume slider in iTunes. For me it appears as a iPad icon with a box around it (I have 2 devices to select from). For whatever reason this is different then selecting your iOS device under 'Devices' on the left under your library options. Go figure.

When you select your iOS device it takes over the window that used to have your songs with the name of the device, then the info on it, then 'Backups' options and 'Options' options. There's a bar at the bottom that shows how much storage you have and currently are using with 'sync' and 'done' next to it. Any changes here aren't applied to the iOS device until you hit 'sync' but as you make changes the storage bar will show you what WILL happen with the options you select. So you can see problems before you sync. Done is done. Hit done before you sync and iTunes will ask if you want to sync with the new changes.

You'll notice on the left, under your iOS device icon and name is a list of media under settings. This is now for the iOS device only. It kind of looks like the same thing when you're looking at your entire library, but it is not.

Select music in the 'settings' list and the pane on the right will show you the sync options to your iOS device (your phone in this case). Here you can do all kinds of stuff like select a playlist, albums a few artists and / or a genre if you like.

The first box lets you select 'entire music library' or 'selected playlists, artists...' so select the latter to do things the way you want.

As you add playlists you'll see that status bar representing your storage change which can give you a head's up on any problems.

That should be it. I did the same thing you're doing when I had my last iPhone.

If you want to give as much room as possible to your music then double check your movies, TV shows, Podcasts, books, audiobooks et al.

For Photos and other iCloud stuff like contacts, calendars you'll find that under 'Info.' I can see photos taking up a lot of space if you ARE storing them locally. If you are using iCloud don't change the 'info' setting as it's probably off for this set of options.

I hope all that helps. It can be confusing since so many things LOOK to be the same, but if you think about it the set up makes sense because each device has it's own settings for the same things.

Once you're done, hit 'done!'

Hope all that helps. Probably nothing new but just in case. This is the kind of thing that can change in an iTunes update without any head's up and cause you to pause. I don't change this stuff often so it could change several times before I notice it!

Good luck,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:20 pm 

azrich,

Thank you for responding to my issue. Please bear with me as visual examples work best for me. I am attempting to follow your steps one at a time. But, I have several questions: In paragraph #3, you offered an acronym IIRC preceding, what I think is an example of placing a group of music titles into a playlist, what is IIRC? Please note: I have created a playlist entitled 'iPhone' in iTunes and have transferred music titles into said playlist. Currently, all music titles in my Library are checked.

Paragraph #3: I am searching for the "very small box under the slider volume in Tunes and am unable to locate it. I have yet to connect the iPhone to iTunes because I fear iTunes will start automatically syncing my whole Music Library to the iPhone before, I start doing what you are recommending. Below is a brief illustration of what iTunes shows:
Attachment:
iTunes1.tiff

Adjacent to the sliding volume bar there is an icon with ,with dropdown menu indicating Computer Speakers and Apple TV, but no mention of iPhone or any other IOS device. Are there preliminary steps that I need to do prior to actually syncing the iPhone?
Attachment:
iTunes2.tiff

Does iTunes not automatically start syncing to a plugged in device until you designate that you want to auto sync your device when connected to the computer?

azrich,

Thank you for responding to my issue. Please bear with me as visual examples work best for me. I am attempting to follow your steps one at a time. But, I have several questions: In paragraph #3, you offered an acronym IIRC preceding, what I think is an example of placing a group of music titles into a playlist, what is IIRC? Please note: I have created a playlist entitled 'iPhone' in iTunes and have transferred music titles into said playlist. Currently, all music titles in my Library are checked.

Paragraph #3: I am searching for the "very small box under the slider volume in Tunes and am unable to locate it. I have yet to connect the iPhone to iTunes because I fear iTunes will start automatically syncing my whole Music Library to the iPhone before, I start doing what you are recommending. Below is a brief illustration of what iTunes shows:
Attachment:
iTunes1.tiff [147.69 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Adjacent to the sliding volume bar there is an icon with ,with dropdown menu indicating Computer Speakers and Apple TV, but no mention of iPhone or any other IOS device. Are there preliminary steps that I need to do prior to actually syncing the iPhone?
Attachment:
iTunes2.tiff
iTunes2.tiff [ 3.65 KiB | Viewed 2014 times ]

Does iTunes not automatically start syncing to a plugged in device until you designate that you want to auto sync your device when connected to the computer?

azrich,

Attachment:
iTunes1.tiff

Attachment:
iTunes2.tiff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:18 pm 

No problem Blazer88-
IIRC = if I recall correctly.

You have to have it connected to your mac to do things the way I was instructing you to do them. There's also an option to sync wirelessly over WiFi that works when you're on the same network.

I don't believe iTunes will try to change your iPhone settings when you connect via USB, but there's only one way to find out.

Here's an image with the iPad icon circled and both of my devices listed on the left. Right now they are listed because I do sync over WiFi.

I am sure you can sync the iPhone playlist on your iPhone without connecting to your computer through USB if you dig around in the menus and preferences. I haven't done it myself but certainly you can.

Once your phone has been connected you can select it the way I was describing with the icon and there is an option to sync automatically as well as sync over Wifi.

HTH = Hope that helps!

Attachments:
File comment: This shows the iTunes when I selected my phone and scrolled down a bit to the Options I mentioned.
iphone.jpeg [328.86 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
File comment: This shows the iPad icon and both iOS devices listed on the left.
ipad.jpeg [105.57 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:12 am 

Richard,
I'm sorry, I just looked through our discussion ad noticed that my posting appeared twice, I apologize for that and also noticed that the attachments were not visible, so I hope they appeared for you. I wanted to let you know that my wife and I had to eave town for some medical appointments and we expect to return on Sunday. So, I hope you will still available for me to ask you questions (re: your procedure), should hey arise.

I am use to only having to sync one IOS device (iPad) to iTunes (all music was checked when syncing)and recently only learning how to mass check/uncheck my Library music selections. I would like to verify the following conditions when I sync the iPhone to iTunes: 1. verify iPhone is in the little box below the volume bar; 2. All music selections in the iPhone Playlist are checked in the Library and all remaining music is unchecked. If you could verify those conditions, I am sure I will have another question once I have the music on the iPhone.

SometimesI wish Apple or vendors did not develop some many devices that could be supported by one Application. I guess $$$ plays a BIG part.

Darrell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 am 

Richard,
I'm sorry, I just looked through our discussion ad noticed that my posting appeared twice, I apologize for that and also noticed that the attachments were not visible, so I hope they appeared for you. I wanted to let you know that my wife and I had to eave town for some medical appointments and we expect to return on Sunday. So, I hope you will still available for me to ask you questions (re: your procedure), should hey arise.

I am use to only having to sync one IOS device (iPad) to iTunes (all music was checked when syncing)and recently only learning how to mass check/uncheck my Library music selections. I would like to verify the following conditions when I sync the iPhone to iTunes: 1. verify iPhone is in the little box below the volume bar; 2. All music selections in the iPhone Playlist are checked in the Library and all remaining music is unchecked. If you could verify those conditions, I am sure I will have another question once I have the music on the iPhone.

SometimesI wish Apple or vendors did not develop some many devices that could be supported by one Application. I guess $$$ plays a BIG part.

Darrell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am 

I did see the attachments, they had links. My attachments were at the end of my post and also had links, so I hope you saw them.

If I understand you right about the checking of items, that should work. By having that playlist that is designed for your iPhone you can simply check the playlist to sync to your phone vs doing the songs individually. You can of course check additional songs (or items) besides the playlist. Remember, as you pick things to sync to the phone (or un-pick them) the bar at the bottom representing the total storage on your device will show the results of your selections. These changes aren't applied until you tell iTunes to apply them, which takes the pressure off a bit.

Hope things go well at the medical appointments! I'll be here when you return.

I believe the idea of using iTunes to manipulate all the different devices is to keep it simple, vs having different apps for audio, video, etc or different apps for iPads, iPhones, iPods etc. However iTunes has grown up from a music app to what it is now, a device management app on top of a music/video/audio book purchase/play/stream app. They did off-load the text based books... makes me wonder. Honestly I'm not sure what the 'best' way to do all the complicated (not difficult, but complicated) stuff would be. Were I to come up with a way I certainly would sell it!

My understanding is iTunes still supports the original iPod. Think about how much stuff the app does.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:56 pm 

Richard,

I have returned and am ready to start working on connecting my IOS devices to iTunes on my new iMac. I decided to remove all of the songs in the iPhone playlist and start over by manually placing songs into the playlist. One thing I forgot was how to mass uncheck the songs on the Music Library. :bonk: I thought I went to iTunes> File> down to Library, but the Check All and Uncheck All was not there. I know I was gone a week, but am I losing my mind?

Darrell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:53 pm 

Welcome back, I hope all is well!

Here's how to remove songs from a playlist. I selected the playlist R&B/Soul on the left, then selected 5 songs using command clicking to pick more than one. Once selected I left clicked (or equivalent) on one to bring up the menu where you can 'remove from playlist' which won't delete them from your library, only from the playlist.

Make sense?

Attachments:
selected.jpeg [606.43 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 pm 

Hi Richard,

All is well with my wife,

Re: my current concern, my Playlist is empty. I was able to delete all music from the Playlist. I just am unable to locate the mass Uncheck All and Check All options, I saw before I left. I want to uncheck all music selections, not involved with my iPhone Playlist ( really because I am lazy and not want to uncheck music selections manually). Hopefully, I clarified what I did and what I am looking for and why.

Darreell

Richard,

Played around after I submitted the above to you. I was able to figure it out.
To perform an Uncheck All; you highlight any Music selection in the Music Library; Press Command 'A' ( select All), right click your the Mouse and select 'Uncheck Selection' ->All music selections are removed. To check All, use the same process, but when you tight click the mouse, select 'Check Selection'.

Sorry about that,
Darrell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 am 

Good to hear.

Oh,duh. I answered a different question for you! You figured it out though, when you highlight more than one item you can do an action to all the items at once just like you discovered. Well done! Also a quick way to create a playlist that is the majority of your library.

You can also sort your library by all kinds of ways: alphabetically, by artist, or by genre for example. I have bird calls and some foreign language stuff in my iTunes library that I can segregate this way. Having them all in the same place makes it easy to select them.

Clicking on 'Name' sorts the songs alphabetically, hit it again and it's reversed. Click on 'genre' sorts by genre, etc. This works the same all throughout Mac OS, and in Mail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:20 pm 

Richard,

Ran into a roadblock, error message:
Attachment:
Error.tiff
Error.tiff [ 21.86 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]

Did I do something wrong?
Darrell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3764139?start=0

http://www.unlockboot.com/2015/10/how-t ... -4s-5.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm 

B,
I went to the link you provided,
http://www.unlockboot.com/2015/10/how-t ... -4s-5.html and selected the option to 'Fix the problem'. That basically stated that if I was stuck in Recovery mode or other various issues, a program, Dr '?' would resolve my problem. I do not think I have that type of issue. When I selected sync from the device screen is when I received the Error -50 message. I read further beyond the 'Fix the Problem' tab and it recommended that 1) I should change USB port and try to sync again and if that did not work, which it did not. Then try 2) Restore the iPhone. Before I started working on the iPhone, I performed a restore on an iPod, which successfully removed all Apps that my grandson had on it, but I did not sync it because iTunes was still set up to sync to the iPhone. I do not mind losing the Apps, but the iPhone has Photos stored on it that I may want to keep. If I restore the iPhone , I will lose the photos, unless they were saved to the Cloud when I I back the iPhone up to the cloud. The last back up was 12:20 pm today, but I do not really know if the photos are there.

Any suggestions?
Darrell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:17 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sorry about that link. No idea, we need an iOS expert.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:38 pm 

B,
D you think I should resubmit and explain what I am attempting to do and accomplish?

Darrell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:51 am 

I've had an occasional weird error like that myself. Generally I un-plug and re-plug the lightening cable back into the phone or iPad and it works.

The first thing Apple will tell you to do is make sure your iTunes and iOS software is all up to date, so I'll mention that.

Other then those two things I don't have any ideas, sorry!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:27 pm 

RICHARD,
SWITCHED CORDS and not receiving the Error message, but watching the syncing process and it is completing 3 of 3 steps, but not syncing the iPhone Playlist, meaning the playlist does not appear on the iPhone. Below is the iPhone $S device summary. Have I set it up incorrectly?
Attachment:
IPHONE 4S.tiff [231.97 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

The Music Library presently only has music checked for the titles in the iPhone Playlist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:50 pm 

Wow, switching cords helped! Great, I would not have though of that.

I should point out that at one point my iPhone had enough pocket lint in the lightning port to cause warnings about using a not-certified cable. I used a toothpick to get it the lint out.

From that window you sent select 'Music' on the left. Now you will be manipulating the Music on your phone. Check 'Sleected playlists, artist, etc' and then just check the one(s) you want.

This should give you an idea of what I'm referring to.

Attachments:
select music.jpg [385.82 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:20 pm 

Richard,

Selected Music from the bottom of the main iPhone screen, which brought me to a NEW screen.
ON THE NEW SCREEN, if you picture can picture like you looking at your own iPhone, the top of the screen starts with:
Line 1. Account icon followed by Library and Playlists options and a search icon. (I selected Playlists).
Line 2. shows a statement: "Showing only music on this phone". Show all music.
Line 3. a statement::[color=#400000]
"RECENTLY ADDED"
Line 4.Below: 3 Playlist icons with two icons titled "UntitledPlay list" and one icon titled "Recently added". All icons contained no music..
Line 5. and centered on the screen are:
All Playlists
New Playlist
[color=#000000]Classical Music
Music Videos
My Top Rated
Recently Added
Recently Played
Top 25 Most Played
90's Music
Untitled Playlist
Untitled Playlist

The iPhone Playlist was never synced to the iPhone. Were the options selected on the device screen correctly? Should I start from scratch and rebuild the Playlist?

Kind of lost now,
Darrell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 am 

Attachment:
select music.jpg [384.07 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Hmmm.

I'm not sure.

There are two places in that left column that have a music option. The first one is for settings. The second Music option is under 'On My Device' which shows just that- the music (or other types of files) that made it to your phone.

What bothers me is- if you made a playlist called 'iPhone' or something like that, it should appear as an option under Music settings.

I did some highlighting to make sure we're in the same place-
Attachment:
select music.jpg [384.07 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:10 pm 

I also want to make sure we are on the same page. I just looked at your attachment and that is your device summary screen from iTunes, which I think I gave you a similar example for my iPhone. All the info I provided on my last post, which I tried to explain and Iwas not able to make in an attachment came off the iPhone. I apologize if I did not make that clear.

Here is my complete device Summary screen:
Attachment:
iPhone-3.tiff [236.08 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

As you can see, I have nothing like yours, but I do remember seeing your example for my iPad, when I connected it to my MacBook which I am trying to get away from. I am either doing something incorrectly when I created the iPhone Playlist I have left something out the iTunes uses as a key to sync to the music selections.

Darrell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:17 pm 

You got it,

from the screen you had click on 'Music' which is below 'Summary' and 'Apps' on the left. Then you will see the options like the ones in my image.