XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:55 am 

I don't know when in the course of things to do this in relation to my first (not yet performed) iPhone backup to iTunes.
I assume it's OK to just do my first iPhone backup now to iTunes and later, when I have time, copy the music library from the iMac onto the MBP :confused:
I fear I've asked this before, but I can't find the answer and obviously haven't done it yet.

All the music on the iMac is from CDs that I converted into mp3 and put into old iTunes to sync with our old Classic iPod.
We've performed a sync once to the iPod and never touched iTunes again.

What is the route to follow to drag&drop the music (probably from a HD backup of the iMac) onto the travel MBP?
Home>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music> lotsa folders.

Which do I drag&drop? iTunes the whole folder which includes album artwork, ipod games, library extras, previous libraries?
or iTunes Music which is just the folders of all the music?

There's 60± GB of music. I read this in the user guide for iPhone "Music that wasn’t purchased in iTunes isn’t backed up in iCloud, but it can be restored by syncing with iTunes on your computer. See Sync with iTunes." So it looks like it won't fill up the 5 free GB of iCloud space.

Thanks all for your patience with me as I try to learn how to do this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm 

iCloud doesn't back up music, at least not by default. 5GB should be plenty so long as you're not backing up photos, music, or videos to iCloud.

I would, on the Macs, copy the entire iTunes folder from one system to the other. It should be located in the logged in user's Music folder on both systems.

Once its copied you need to verify the new system is authorized to play the music, which you can do by randomly playing a bunch of purchased tracks. The first time it should ask you to authorize the computer, after that point you shouldn't get prompted again. I tend to play a bunch of tracks as a sanity check, and because Apple way way way way back in the day used to have multiple keys that were used to encrypt their files and you'd have to authorize each key separately. They don't do that anymore... hell, they don't even encrypt purchases anymore (except for music purchased before they went DRM free, those still stay encrypted).

Once that system is authorized you just choose which tracks you want to sync to the iDevice and off it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:25 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I would, on the Macs, copy the entire iTunes folder from one system to the other. It should be located in the logged in user's Music folder on both systems.

Once its copied you need to verify the new system is authorized to play the music, which you can do by randomly playing a bunch of purchased tracks. ...
Once that system is authorized you just choose which tracks you want to sync to the iDevice and off it goes.

Thanks MB for the help.

As I said: "All the music on the iMac is from CDs that I converted into mp3 and put into old iTunes to sync with our old Classic iPod."
I've never purchased any music - nothing.
I don't know what authorizing is - on the iMac I haven't yet done the update to include the app store (does that include the iTunes store?) I never opened iTunes on the iMac after syncing the music to the iPod years ago.

Will this work this way?
IPlug the HD backup of the iMac into to MBP and copy (drag&drop) the Music folder into the Music folder on the MBP.

How does one "authorize" iTunes? and do I haveto/can I even do it with no purchased music?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:08 pm 

Authorization is only for tracks purchased from the Apple store. If you're just using MP3s and all those MP3s are in the iTunes folder, all you need to do is move the folder over.

I have MP3s in a separate folder on an external drive, then dragged that folder into iTunes so iTunes includes all the tracks that are in that folder. To move to a new system I would need to copy the iTunes folder over and connect that external drive so that MP3s folder would be in the same place on the new system.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:52 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:

I have MP3s in a separate folder on an external drive, then dragged that folder into iTunes so iTunes includes all the tracks that are in that folder. To move to a new system I would need to copy the iTunes folder over and connect that external drive so that MP3s folder would be in the same place on the new system.

Mrs H wrote:
What is the route to follow to drag&drop the music (probably from a HD backup of the iMac) onto the travel MBP?
Home>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music> lotsa folders.?

Which do I drag&drop this one: iTunes Music which is just the folders of all the music? And I assume I put it in the same Music folder on the MBP. The version of iTunes is much older on the iMac, but I'm hoping that won't effect anything. I have loads of backups of the music should anything go wrong... I'm just hoping we can have backup of the music for listening in hotels should the iPod give up the ghost.

Thanks for explaining authorization.
At some point maybe I'll need to do that ... I have a $50 iTunes gift card that came with the Black Friday purchase of the iPhone from Apple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:14 pm 

I would copy the entire iTunes folder under Music. The newer versions of iTunes will upgrade the library file from the older versions, same as they would if you used the migration wizard and moved a user over to a newer system. It would go into the Music folder of the user you're intending to sync on the new system. iTunes needs to be closed on both systems when you make the copy.

So long as you're copying the iTunes folder from one system to the other, you still have the old iTunes folder in place on the old system. Unless the old system fails all the data on it is intact and unchanged, so if it worked on there before you copied the data over, it'll just keep on working. If it all goes horribly wrong on the new system and you need to format & start over from scratch on it... the data's still on the old system, you can just copy it over again.

If you just moved the music folder over, your files would be there, but you would have to manually add them to iTunes on the new system. By moving the entire iTunes folder over you're moving your library over as well, and the library is basically a database which lists all the files iTunes knows about and where they're located. So long as the files are in the same general path (e.g. /Volume/External Volume/MP3s or ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Blah/Blah/Blah.mp3) then iTunes will be able to find and open them on the new system same as it could on the old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:25 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I would copy the entire iTunes folder under Music...

Thank you so much MB for your explanation - it really helps!

Just to be sure - The blue one?
Home>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music> lotsa folders.

Can I do this music stuff after I make my first backup in iTunes of the iPhone (yup, I haven't done it yet - waiting to get the go ahead on this last question.)
Am I right - syncing music is different from backing up the phone and after I've backed up the phone I'll have to do something else to get the music from iTunes onto the phone?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:44 am 

Yes, the blue folder. That way you get not just your music but the library (iTunes' database) as well.

I would copy the files before you do the first backup. I don't remember where the backup for iDevices is placed, but rather than risk walloping that backup I would do it first.

On the other hand you could just do another backup. The only risk is that it might want to wipe your iPhone the second time, depending on how it handles the iTunes database changing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:30 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Yes, the blue folder. That way you get not just your music but the library (iTunes' database) as well.

I would copy the files before you do the first backup. ...

Thanks so very much, MB.
You've answered the 2 main questions I had in one fell swoop.
Music first, then backup.
Backup to iCloud is happening when I charge (not that often since I'm not using phone that much yet - still need to get those Japan apps!) so I am not without a backup.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:49 pm 

It's copying the iTunes folder as I type.
25 minutes is what it should take.
I had to name the folder itunes 2 to move it - since it said there already was a folder there with that name.
Once it's finished, on the iMac (or rather from the HD backup of the iMac which I'm using for the copy) I'll rename it back to the original iTunes.

What do I do about the folder on the MBP.
Now I'll have a folder called iTunes 2 - with all the old stuff - a folder that is not in the Mav's iTunes folder (iPod games - do I care???), and then there's the Mavs folder which currently has no music folder, but does have iTunes Media, which is not in the Snow iTunes folder, and several Libraries - though there is no music! and a Previous iTunes libraries folder, though again there was no previous.

How do I combine the 2???

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:52 pm 

It's finished.
I now have this - this is the iTunes folder that was in the Mavs MBP before I copied the folder from the Snow iMac:
Attachment:
iTunes folder in MBP originally.jpg
iTunes folder in MBP originally.jpg [ 39.34 KiB | Viewed 1850 times ]

And this which is the old iTunes as copied from the Snow iMac to the Mavs MBP:
When I look in the iTunes Media folder it has a folder called Automatically add to iTunes with nothing in it. There is no Music folder anywhere.
Attachment:
iTunes folder moved to MBP.jpg
iTunes folder moved to MBP.jpg [ 44.77 KiB | Viewed 1850 times ]

I wondered if either of these would help me do the fix:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/32 ... 0&tstart=0
OR
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/37 ... 0&tstart=0

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm 

I reread the 2 discussions I referred to in the post above.
I don't exactly see which of the two works in my situation, if either.

When I open iTunes, it looks so different from what I last saw when I used to use iTunes when I copied the CDs ages ago that I don't know where I am.

Library looked interesting, but nada.

I read what it looks like I might need to do in the discussions above, but again - I'm not really where they are.

If I go to library, I can click add to library and probably click the old music file, but you mentioned I'd lose all the playlists etc.
If I consolidate, what does it consolidate?

I can experiment and see what happens, but I'm wondering if you can give my any further insight before I do something dumb.
Yes, I do have backups - the iTunes on the iMac is just fine.
There are 2 different HD backups of the MBP including the iTunes status quo ante - just the empty iTunes, so I can revert to square 1.

Help, please.

EDIT TO ADD:
This ought to be easy if I only understood. I do think I've read not to move just the music file into the media file - but maybe that's what they are talking about in the links and then consolidate? I don't really have an idea which way to go to experiment.

The one saving thought, I don't really like the way the music is arranged - each symphony is a separate "song" - I broke the music up according to the instructions here - and I just noticed it's been revised, I did this years ago:
http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/itunes.htm
Now, when we play something on the iPod, we have to sometimes select each symphony or piece separately - other times we've have movements mixed up. So maybe my old playlist just sucks. But if I just move the music into the media folder I'm sure I'm in for trouble.

help....

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:55 pm 

I'm putting off my first backup of the iPhone into iTunes until I get this resolved. (I have done iCloud backups)
I don't know how to sync music to the phone, but this is obviously a problem getting the music onto iTunes and I don't want to do the phone until I get this resolved. I hope that's right thinking still...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:09 pm 

I've just found Automatically add to iTunes and tested a few items from the folder of music brought over from the iMac (which I have since put on the desktop rather than sticking it in the iTunes folder)

Thing seems to be OK - I'll see as I move more works over.
I'll be back with a further update. This somewhat helped me:
http://www.theinstructional.com/guides/ ... nto-itunes

I never had any playlists, no genius stuff. It's just the organizational stuff that may not be right - but I don't think all of it was right in the first place - I had trouble when I was downloading originally, I followed the suggestions here: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/itunes.htm and it helped though the names of items is a bit strange. (taming itunes for classical music)

I'm trying to see if anything here helps me:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7978

so far so good - I'm adding a few at a time and trusting it builds a new library?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:09 pm 

Just an FYI - it worked using Automatically add to iTunes.
What's on the MBP Mavs matches what's on the iMac Snow (which got copied years ago from the G4 running Tiger)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:11 pm 

Since you didn't have any playlists adding it to the new library and letting it organize should be fine.

The only thing that won't copy over are any albums you added artwork to that for some reason iTunes refused to append to the files themselves. In those cases it sticks it in the library file. The only way to get them is to either re-add the artwork to all the files (which typically means it sticks the artwork in the new library) or keep the old library intact.

What I originally intended to suggest was to copy the iTunes folder over and replace the existing iTunes folder, which would have replaced the existing iTunes library, so the next time you opened up iTunes it would use the library file that you copied over.

Sorry, I'm just overwhelmed at work and don't have much free time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Since you didn't have any playlists adding it to the new library and letting it organize should be fine...

Sorry, I'm just overwhelmed at work and don't have much free time.

Please don't apologize - you helped! I am very thankful for your time when you can give it to me.
It's just that I couldn't make happen what you suggested. I don't think I understood (still don't) what you were suggesting. And figuring out for myself how to make it work wasn't such a bad thing. I still have to do the iPhone backup - I hope nothing goes awry.

Now I'm wondering about the old iPod and the iTunes on Snow iMac. I have some messed up music, but if I try to fix it I don't think I can sync the old 160GB Classic iPod with the Snow iMac and iTunes v11x (iPod was only once synced once with G4 Tiger on an older iTunes and I've read on Apple discussion people complaining that newer iTunes (12?) and classic iPods don't mix well together - but they were using Yosemite beta which may have been the cause of the problem)

I'd like to figure out how to fix this:
Attachment:
iTunes Beet symp #1 twice.jpg [164.14 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

EDIT sorry the attachment doesn't come up.

So that I could turn it into 2 entries for the 2 different orchestras.
As it is now, if I choose to play the symphony I get it twice - and this isn't the only time something like this has happened. Remember all our music is copied from CDs nothing is purchased. When I tried to change this is just came back the same way and even creating a new folder back in the Music folder didn't work.
Idea???

Last edited by Mrs H on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:32 pm 

Basically think of taking the iTunes folder on the new computer, put it in the trash, then copy the iTunes folder over from your other system and put it in the same location the iTunes folder on the new computer used to be. When iTunes opens next it will look at the data in this folder, same as it did before, which is now your old data.

I'll have to look at the rest of your comment later, its been a brain frying day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:10 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
... its been a brain frying day.

So sorry, MB.
I don't understand your reply but I think it's my fault since my attachment doesn't show up and my question is totally confusing. Not to worry.
I've got the 60GB+ music onto the MBP.
The symphonies that are weird can just stay that way.
I'll try to solve the problem by creating playlists once I figure out how to do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:23 pm 

I was sick all weekend which is probably why I didn't feel great on Friday. I had a root canal today so I'm really not in the best frame of mind to concentrate for long stretches now that the local is wearing off... that dentist knew his stuff though, hit two nerves at the back of the jaw with two minimal-pain inducing jabs and it was lights out for that side of my face for over 6 hours. And I'm still not feeling exactly non-sick.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:58 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
... I had a root canal today so I'm really not in the best frame of mind to concentrate...And I'm still not feeling exactly non-sick.

Oh dear, I can sympathize - sleep does wonders for this, if you can sleep that is...
Take care.