XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:06 am 

So I upgraded a mid 2010 imac with an SSD and left the stock internal HD in place and made a fusion drive out of the two. I'm looking down the road for when the internal drive will likely fail. The question is what to do at the point? I assume I can replace the internal platter drive but I'm looking at the question through the prospect of recreating the fusion drive and copying back data to the usable state prior to drive failure via TimeMachine back up.

There is another related potential issue because I recall this particular imac had a drive that used a thermal monitoring system that caused full fan speed when the drive was replaced. I think one could replace the drive with a specific same model. Also I think OWC had created a hardware solution.

So all this taken together begs the question how does one prepare for this ....it's going to happen sometime, probably sooner than later.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 pm 

You will lose the entire contents of the fusion drive, similar to RAID-0 after a single drive failure.

Restoring from backup is the only way to recover your data. Whether that's a bootable backup or time machine is your choice, though I would suggest both since there's advantages (and disadvantages) to both. And two discrete backups is always better than one.

I've used the hardware option provided by OWC a couple times, works fine. Beats buying a years-old tech drive, assuming it's new at that point and not used stock.

Another alternative would just to ditch the Fusion concept and replace the HD with another SSD. Right now you can get 1TB is around $200-$250, although SSD prices have been inching higher as of late.