XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:54 am 

BDAqua wrote:
The single-link DVI cables will fit the dual-link DVI slot on the computer, the - blade on the male connector of the cable fits in the horizontal slot of the female + computer end.

Quite a nifty design, it won't work the other way... plugging a Dual-link cable into a single link video card which cannot support dual-link, but a dual-link video card can support both. :)

Either would work.

Ah, so I just spent the last 45 mins or so looking through the posts . . . the choice of adapters or cables, etc. Possibly the **cheapest** way to go would be an adapter for a "DVI-I 24 + 5 male to a VGA female"???

Looking at the DVI port on my new MP it must be "unused" . . . but, flipping back to the original link for the DVI to DVI cable, you are saying that even if they both are DVI-D the DVI port on the MP will accept what might be 24 + 1??? The horizontal tab would slide into the yet unused flat female and the 4 squares female wouldn't be used???

Essentially you are saying that any DVI to DVI cable should work??? Or, if I was to go the DVI cable route, I would need a DVI-I 24 +5 male to DVI-D female adapter, and then all would be well?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

A dual-link DVI cable will not work on your Monitor, but would work on your computer, a single-link DVI cable will work on both ends.

DVI to VGA is another option.
Quote:
I would need a DVI-I 24 +5 male to DVI-D female adapter,

Uhhhh, why an adapter? The DVI cables are male/male, the computer & Monitor are both female… right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:34 am 

BDAqua wrote:
A dual-link DVI cable will not work on your Monitor, but would work on your computer, a single-link DVI cable will work on both ends.

DVI to VGA is another option.
Quote:
I would need a DVI-I 24 +5 male to DVI-D female adapter,

Uhhhh, why an adapter? The DVI cables are male/male, the computer & Monitor are both female… right?

BD:

Thanks for the conversation . . . the "adapter" idea is still coming from the "+5" or "+1" differential between my understanding of what "DVI-D" is, and what my computer has for the port, the "+5" "DVI-I"?????

Also not quite clear on the "single link" vs "dual link" . . . I get what you are saying that "single link will work" on both ends, so that is fine, so getting the single link DVI cable seems fine . . . but, I thought that single link has two groups of pins . . . so possibly not the "24 +5" that the MPro has???

Happy to pull the twigger on whatever works--would the link that I posted for the VS DVI to DVI work? Or the link that Anonymous posted is cheaper . . . would that work??? Going the separate DVI cable route **might** give me the flex on having both computers plugged in, and whichever one gets fired would be "ready to go" . . . . It just looks like the DVI port on the computer is "different" than what is showing on the cables????

e..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:15 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:

I'll have to go back to the 22" VS and see how much they want for the DVI to DVI . . . I don't need 10' of cable for either of these units though.

e..

Possibly found that cord $8.48

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-Cable-Feet-Meters/dp/B00IHMFIBY/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41oGd0wMfML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=FRFT74RPPQ1VP7SK4NP6

This is the cord that was "recommended" by the Amazon site for a 22" VS monitor . . . would this, perhaps not 6', but 3' . . . be OK?

e..

Edit: Looking at the "DVI types" link that BD posted--the Monitor shows in the photo that it is DVI-D (DVI Digital) Dual-link pattern -- 24 + 1. The computer seems to have "DVI-I (Digital & Analog) Dual link pattern -- 24 +5.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

DVD-I is both DVI-A, (Analog), and DVI-D, (Digital) together, you should be able to get a cable with DVD-D on both ends to fit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812119012

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:15 pm 

DVI-I includes both DVI and VGA on a single connector. This is what's on the back of your Mac Pro.

DVI-D only supports DVI.

You can connect a DVI-I port to a DVI-D port, since both are DVI. You can adapt a DVI-I port to VGA, but you can't adapt a DVI-D port to VGA.

So all you need to do is a normal DVI to DVI cable and it'll work fine. You'll have to use the buttons on your display to switch inputs, the steps for which vary from display to display, running the gamut from annoying to aggravating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_V ... #Connector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:58 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
DVD-I is both DVI-A, (Analog), and DVI-D, (Digital) together, you should be able to get a cable with DVD-D on both ends to fit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812119012

Thanks for the link . . . "item out of stock" . . . but it looks similar to the Amazon piece that I linked to?? Any "DVI-D" to "DVI-D" will work????

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes, it should.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Yes, it should.

I'm feeling the confidence . . . . Well, I'm an old nuts and bolts guy, so it usually works better in the physical than in the abstract . . . at work on an open internet . . . have to order later tonight or tomorrow . . . and, then we'll see how it works . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:19 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067SOL/

That's the best way of shortening amazon.com links BTW. Just strip out the long product name and delete everything after the product number. Sometimes you have to change that two digit code to /dp/ though, not all the codes work when shortened.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:49 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067SOL/

That's the best way of shortening amazon.com links BTW. Just strip out the long product name and delete everything after the product number. Sometimes you have to change that two digit code to /dp/ though, not all the codes work when shortened.

@MB:

So, that link you showed does say "single link" and it has the two groups of pins . . . rather than the one group of "24 +1" . . . . But, both the computer, and the photo of my 19" screen, show the one group "24" +1 or +5 . . . . Does any of that make a difference? This cable is a little cheaper . . . but is indeed listed as "single link" . . . the pattern on the screen and computer appears to be "dual link" . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:18 pm 

Unless your display has more pixels than 1920x1200 you don't need dual link.

Dual link means there's two DVI channels on a single cable because 1920x1200 pixels are the most pixels it can shove down a single link (kinda sorta - you can shove down more pixels by lowering the refresh rate but it's a kludge). Therefore unless you need more than 1920x1200 there's no need for anything more than a single link cable.

Since your display is only 1280x1024 they likely used a dual link connector on it because, at the time, they could save $.05 by using that connector rather than a single link cable, while simultaneously lowering support costs for customers who bought a dual link cable by mistake.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:24 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
DVI-I includes both DVI and VGA on a single connector. This is what's on the back of your Mac Pro.

DVI-D only supports DVI.

You can connect a DVI-I port to a DVI-D port, since both are DVI. You can adapt a DVI-I port to VGA, but you can't adapt a DVI-D port to VGA.

So all you need to do is a normal DVI to DVI cable and it'll work fine. You'll have to use the buttons on your display to switch inputs, the steps for which vary from display to display, running the gamut from annoying to aggravating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_V ... #Connector

@MB: OK, I missed this post previously . . . so it seems like the DVI cable, the one that I linked, should be OK. I'll order that one later or tomorrow, and then if that doesn't seem to get it . . . I'll try your link to "single-link" item . . . .

Then I'll move on to the RAM . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:27 pm 

A dual link cable will work with your setup, but if it's more money, why spend it if it'll go unused?

There are some sketchier cheaper single link DVI cables on Amazon, StarTech just sells reasonably decent cables at higher prices. If I remember right there were some used cables going for half the price.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:31 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Unless your display has more pixels than 1920x1200 you don't need dual link.

Dual link means there's two DVI channels on a single cable because 1920x1200 pixels are the most pixels it can shove down a single link (kinda sorta - you can shove down more pixels by lowering the refresh rate but it's a kludge). Therefore unless you need more than 1920x1200 there's no need for anything more than a single link cable.

Since your display is only 1280x1024 they likely used a dual link connector on it because, at the time, they could save $.05 by using that connector rather than a single link cable, while simultaneously lowering support costs for customers who bought a dual link cable by mistake.

OK, thanks for the explanation on the display connector . . . . I was thinking that going the "dual" way could offer the chance to change the display to something else with real dual-link capacity . . . but, the difference in price isn't that big . . . so single-link is probably fine . . . . Sometimes it's good to kick things around to thrash it out . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:02 pm 

Well, 1920x1080 panels are cheap, anything above that is nosebleed territory. 1920x1080 are single link.

I say this as someone who really wants a 27" or larger display with a resolution larger than 1920x1080. The prices, though, are still stubbornly high.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:23 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well, 1920x1080 panels are cheap, anything above that is nosebleed territory. 1920x1080 are single link.

I say this as someone who really wants a 27" or larger display with a resolution larger than 1920x1080. The prices, though, are still stubbornly high.

@MB:

Appreciate the details . . . yeah, push come to shove, another display wouldn't be a killer. So, based upon the info provided here, the Monoprice item linked by Anonymous came in a couple dollars cheaper than the single link Amazon unit . . . so I ordered that, based upon my understanding that it "will work" . . . . Without going for the Amazon Prime deal for next day shipping, as I don't do too much buying these days . . . the Monoprice shipping seemed to be faster than Amazon . . . ????

I understand that it won't be "true" "dual-link" . . . I just need "video" for the GUI to appear on . . . .

We'll see when it gets here . . . fingers crossed it "works." Also checked out the tabs for switching "source" and it doesn't seem to be too problematic . . . once you get the "browsing" tab figured out . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:29 pm 

Wahoo . . . monoprice shipped the DVI cable ASAP and just arrived . . . geez . . . almost an hour ago!!!! Hooked up the display and the rest of it, and on boot OSX found the display . . . !!! Let the games begin!!!!

Funny, system profile shows the 4GB as 1066 MHz, but, clicking on the "How to install memory" link on Safari, Apple is recommending "PC3 - 10600E, 1333 MHz" . . . and it says, "the processor will figure it out if it isn't the same"????

But, it says something else about, "the computer won't boot if different RAM is used"????

Anyway, compared to the G4 ST this unit is ***quiet*** except I think the electrical field emanating from it is seriously tweaking my brain electro-mag field . . . I don't know if that is a "good" thing or not . . . you know, like the "Unisol" Van Damme movies where the megalomaniac computer inserts his system into the brain of one of his beefy minions . . . minus the beefy part . . . .

Anyway, many thanks for the assist on getting this unit . . . next stop, RAM . . . don't know if I'll go single stick 8 GB or single stick 12 . . . but, so far so good . . . . :coffee:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
But, it says something else about, "the computer won't boot if different RAM is used"????

I think that means other than 1066 or 1333 RAM. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:29 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:

I think that means other than 1066 or 1333 RAM. :)

Yeah, it might mean "inappropriate" RAM . . .but it might have been part of the "RDIMMs" and "UDIMMS" conversation . . . I'll have to check it out again . . . at some point . . . while I'm making the 8 GB v 12 GB stick decision . . . .

Nice thing about FF is that for this home computer I sync'd TFF bookmarks over . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:08 pm 

Regarding Mavericks and RAM: You most assuredly want 16 GB or more for Mavericks use. Why? The VM compressor is insanely aggressive. Like "we're going to compress RAM starting at 50% free" aggressive. Yosemite improved upon this slightly, but El Capitan has really made the VM system work like it should. I've only had two instances of compressed RAM in 10.11 compared to daily doses of it in 10.9. And I have 32 GB RAM.

For anyone else reading this thread, be aware that nearly all new GPUs coming out in Pascal/Polaris and later are removing DVI-I/VGA support entirely. Removing the RAMDAC allows for more space on the boards and is pretty much expected since there are virtually zero VGA displays sold today. Everything uses HDMI, DisplayPort, or DVI, all three of which can support HDCP (DisplayPort 1.3 and real HDMI 2.0/a/b is required for HDCP 2.2). HDCP 2.2 is required for 4k protected content (blu-ray/streaming video), and HDMI 1.3/1.4a cannot transmit full bandwidth HDMI 2 signals. HDMI 1.4a can transmit 4k@60 Hz only in chroma 4:2:0 mode, not the full 4:4:4/4:4:4:4/8:8:8:8 modes DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 can.

Yes, that was a mouthful. You can thank Shittywood for us not having DP as our defacto connection format.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks for the great info Squishy! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:07 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
since there are virtually zero VGA displays sold today

Filter:
D-Sub : 1X2X
Seller : NeweggX

Showing 1-30 of 589 Products

Nope, still 589 different models of LCD/LED monitors for sale on NewEgg from NewEgg.

TVs with VGA ports, which based on a survey I made a few weeks ago of models for sale at Costco are still quite common, would be on top of that.

Based on a discussion at my last company meeting a few weeks ago, only two people, out of about a hundred, have 4K TVs at home. They were both high level executives.

I suspect you've been done in by the overly optimistic tales found online about how 4K is the best thing since having an onion on your belt. People with more money than common sense are buying them, yes, but there really aren't all that many of them around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:40 am 

Quote:
Based on a discussion at my last company meeting a few weeks ago, only two people, out of about a hundred, have 4K TVs at home. They were both high level executives.

I suspect you've been done in by the overly optimistic tales found online about how 4K is the best thing since having an onion on your belt. People with more money than common sense are buying them, yes, but there really aren't all that many of them around

I don't even begin to think 4k is in most homes yet. Not with prices being what they are and the HDMI 2.0 fiasco being what it is (TV manufacturers, especially Samsung, keep fudging the real HDMI 2.0 spec and are instead using 4k60 @ 4:2:0, which is fine for blu-ray, but horrible for computer/text displays.

You're right on the displays, but the GPUs are ditching VGA as an input, including on the DVI connectors. It really doesn't make any sense to have VGA when people are using streaming services and/or blu-ray that require HDCP, which VGA can't carry on its signals. I'm guessing displays still using VGA inputs are primarily targeted toward the older computer users.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:40 am 

Hmm . . . I'm an older computer user . . . both older . . . and user of older computers . . . . For this computer the DVI-D made its way with the DVI-I plug on the MP . . . and it is working just fine.

On the "even 32 GB of RAM isn't enough for 10.9" . . . I guess we'll have to see, so far even with the 4GB and my usual 18 tabs open on FF I haven't seen the spinning BB . . . yet. The computer hasn't had to kick it into warp drive yet for anything I've done, which, so far is just setting up FF and prefs . . . but, in terms of blinding speed I can't exactly say stuff is happening faster than a blink of an eye . . . it just gets done. So, I don't know if that's due to the 4 GB of RAM, or mix of that and the 3 MB DSL connection . . . .

So, few other things to do, I want to get OpenCL going to test that out . . . and then the RAM . . . have the tab for the 8GB stick of 1066 MHz . . . I might look around for the 1333 MHz version and do the price comparo . . . not thinking it will give me extra boost, but just in case I change the cpu . . . might be more compatible. If I get the 8 and leave the two 2 GB in that would offer "12" . . . if I'm trying to keep power use down then possibly the single 8 GB would do what I need to do and use less power. I'm guessing that for this computer the 4 sticks of 12 GB would be the "max" capacity . . . possibly going with one 12 might be a good start?? I'll have to look at the prices . . . it's not like I have super high demands beyond multi-tab browser, some dnetc for humor, probable photo editing, and word processing.

I'd love to have a Tesla to blow up the freeway with, but, in the meanwhile my Prelude gets me around . . . much the same here with the MP . . . happy medium is best.

e...

[Edit: Follow-up question, App Store is stalking me to do the 10.11 upgrade . . . and was thinking about keeping a partition at 10.9 since that is where I think I'm keeping my MBPro with the maxed 8GB . . . so for any "collaboration" between the two computers being able to have the MP at 10.9 as well was the idea.

And, then as I have on my MBPro, I was going to cut out a couple partitions, one for potential OSX upgrades . . . and another one for playing with linux. But, since I haven't set up any applications for this version of 10.9, I'm wondering if just moving this partition up to 10.11??

I thought that the Macofall trades store listed 10.11 as the "max upgrade" for this computer? Or it could go up as they come along? I like 10.9 on my MBPro, it's fine browsers are "supported" . . . but I have the original 10.6 system on partition one as the "native" system . . . but, other than word processing exchange between the two computers I don't know if having one at 10.11 and the other at 10.9 makes any difference?

Or, whether 10.11 is the "max upgrade" for the 2012 MPro? Is El Capitan . . . the "captain" . . . and "better" than 10.9?? Or, I can wait awhile?]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next