XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:21 pm 

Hi,

I seem to have encountered an issue with the Automatic Graphic Switching on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro. If I leave this option enabled, whenever I open up a graphics hungry application it will crash with a GPU Kernel Panic. Also it only lists the Intel 3000 in About My Mac.

However I’ve found that when connect up an External Display via the Display Port both the Intel 3000 and Radeon are shown in About My Mac and I can successfully disable Automatic Graphics Switching. Restarting then saves this option and I can run my Mac on just the Radeon successfully. Re-enabling it however causes it immediately to crash again.

Apple Diagnostics also highlights an issue with switching to the External Display and crashes at this point and will not continue.

Any advice on the above would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,
J.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm 

I assume this is a 15" or 17" MBP?

According to this post:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7953625

Apple had a recall for 2011 MBPs with discrete graphics, but that recall ended in 2016.

The only option I could suggest, besides disabling the discrete GPU altogether using gfxCardStatus (mentioned in the post I linked) is to find a 2011 or 2012 logic board on eBay and swap them. The 2011 will eventually develop the same issue but the 2012 is physically identical so if you can find a working (not "for parts") one then you should be able to swap it in. You would probably need new RAM, though everything else would work. There's a thread on ifixit mentioning the difficulty of the swap:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/935 ... board+swap

Basically the swap is as difficult as replacing a motherboard. To make it simple you could buy a board that the seller hasn't stripped the heatsink off of, otherwise you'd have to pull the heatsink off your board, clean it, then install it on the new board with fresh thermal compound. It's entirely possible to do, just a pain.

BTW, the trick for pulling this off is to isolate your system and the target system. If you have a non-Retina display 2011 MBP then you could use a non-Retina display 2012 MBP logic board or a non-Retina display 2011 MBP logic board. Retina display systems are a whole different creature, you need to stay within the same "family" as it were.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Wed May 30, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, such great knowledge! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:05 pm 
Master

I have a similar problem on my 2010 MBP. It actually runs fine on the discrete GPU, but as shortly after it tries to run on the Intel chip the machine kernel panics.

I resorted to using the gfxCardStatus software to permanently force the system to run with the NVidia chip, which mostly resolved the problem except for when I connect a second monitor. At that point the system switches to using the Intel graphics for one display and the discrete graphics for the other and the system crashes after just a few minutes.

What OS are you running? It was hard to find an older copy of gfxCardStatus for OS X 10.6, but I have one if that's what you're running and need it.

- Anonymous