XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:58 pm 
Team Towel Guy

So, while I was messing with getting the new SSD installed in tray #1 on the '12 cMP I also ran a dosdude patcher upgrade to the drive that is now slot 4 that was 10.14 and is now 10.15. I was hoping that upgrading out of 10.14 would fix the "failure for system sleep" problem that was happening in 10.14 . . . but the upgrade failed to address that problem . . . so it's a "double f**k" as far as doing the upgrades in my **ancient** machine goes . . . it's **legacy** all the way and just can't "keep up" with the new kids??

So, question of this topic, subsequent to the upgrade the SSD drive that had the Mojave install was named "Mojave" and there was just "Mojave" listed in DU. After running the patcher upgrade to Catalina, now the DU (I'm looking at it in 10.13 DU) shows two disks on the desktop, one named "Mojave" showing 11.09GB used (disk4s5), and the other named "Mojave-Data" which is showing 13.32GB used (disk4s1) . . . the cig bar for them both shows a blue section (might be the 11.09GB) and then a little further a grey section (to indicate the total used 13.32GB??)

So, my question relates to the APFS formatting and the why of now having two different "disks" for the install in that drive, and doesn't seem to call one of them a "volume" . . . but, there is only one OS installed in the drive??? And then why is one 4s1 for "the data" and 4s5 for what? the base system? I haven't moved any personal files or folders into that install yet, so why have two names?? I think I might have tried to use OSX boot manager to boot the two choices, but there is only one choice there, not two???? :upset: :classic-eek:

Thoughts? Should I destroy the install? I think it's too late for the mobo, it already has the "APFS" tweak installed there, it's over as far as turning back to HFS for the greater than 10.13 . . . possibly I could nuke the newest install of HS that went auto-APFS on me . . . start over in the legacy formatting . . . ??? :coffee:

Is this something that is "new" with 10.15, or is this possibly related to running a patcher upgrade on a machine that Apple is trying to leave waaayyy behind in the aging and dusty machine category??

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Silly Apple, they got you again... the Catalina way is now has a Read only Partition with the System on it... Macintosh HD, or Mojave on yours, then your files on a R&W volume called Macintosh HD Data, or on yours... Mojave-Data.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:03 pm 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
Silly Apple, they got you again... the Catalina way is now has a Read only Partition with the System on it... Macintosh HD, or Mojave on yours, then your files on a R&W volume called Macintosh HD Data, or on yours... Mojave-Data.

Ahs been "had" . . . again?? So, good thing it is parked way down at the end of the lot . . . for a rainy day or summthin . . . . :whip:

So, it's sort of like linux where there is the "/" filesystem stuff, some of which is editable and some not . . . but in OSX it is now not "user friendly" to any fiddling, the base system is "read-only"?

And then there is the "/home" file system which still would be "read-write" and that holds the user accounts and the preferences . . . and Applications are in the "Data"????

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:29 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:17 am 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

In that order??? :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it.