XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:07 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
It idles RAM & CPU cores as often as it does with two CPUs as it does with one CPU using the same logic. It will likely use more power because even at idle it still draws power.

Ah, OK, got it, so it's "on demand" . . . but all are "idling" or "energized" and available for defcon red if and when there is a "need" . . . . So it's like a turbo-charged V-8, but with EFI . . . somewhat "economical" given the immense CPU power that is "on tap" . . . . :coffee:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:36 pm 

Idle means the minimum power state which is still rather high. Like on a 130W CPU idle could mean its drawing 45W. The actual power states vary depending on which CPU you get since there are parts that draw 45W at full load, others draw 90W at full load, etc.

They didn't start doing anything with shutting down banks of RAM until fairly recently, and desktop CPUs never idle down at negligible power levels like notebook and embedded CPUs. The amount of power savings you're going to get on a desktop isn't much, best to just shut it down or put it to sleep when not in use if you want to save on the power bill.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:58 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Idle means the minimum power state which is still rather high. Like on a 130W CPU idle could mean its drawing 45W. The actual power states vary depending on which CPU you get since there are parts that draw 45W at full load, others draw 90W at full load, etc.

They didn't start doing anything with shutting down banks of RAM until fairly recently, and desktop CPUs never idle down at negligible power levels like notebook and embedded CPUs. The amount of power savings you're going to get on a desktop isn't much, best to just shut it down or put it to sleep when not in use if you want to save on the power bill.

I can vouch for this 100%. My system is on almost 24/7 and our electricity bill always goes well into Tier 2 usage territory resulting in $150-$200/mo. just on the electrical side (not counting gas). I have a feeling shutting my system down may be the best thing to do since the only moving parts to start and stop are the optical drive (not spinning with no media in it) and data HD. Fans I can replace much cheaper than a PSU or mobo.

Which reminds me, it's been six years since I put this rig together and I suspect it's time to replace the thermal paste on my CPU as the cores are reading mid 30s (celsius) at idle when they used to idle at 27-30C.

I just wish sleep worked right on hackintoshes so I didn't have to fully shut down the system. Unfortunately upon wake the fans don't return to normal operating mode properly and the CPU gets super hot (50-60C idle) and would probably fry themselves if I didn't have an overkill heatsink like the Noctua NH-D14 I used for my build.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:17 am 

@ST:

I think I can also agree that my MP is a bit of a 'lectric hog, which I knew going in, but the trade off is ease of entry into the parts zone . . . but then I'm not running the unit all of the time, and generally not stressing it too much.

But, since you are running a Hackintosh . . . could you run a linux flavor on it . . . for "suspend" function? One of my criteria for using an OS is "suspend" and then "wake from suspend" on demand . . . I have a couple ubuntu flavors, a couple OpenSUSE, and a Sid Debian flavor running on my '12 MP . . . once I got the Nvidia drivers installed it seemed like "suspend" was a more reliable feature ????

I just wiped the slightly "glitchy" U-MATE 19.04 install I had on my 09 MBP yesterday and installed Leap 15.1, which overall is a pretty good mix of "stability" and "feature" . . . I think compared to my other options that are running 5.2 kernel, Leap is using 4.12xx . . . install went well, just had to run some commands to get the "legacy b-43" driver installed to get wifi running. Overall a nice system, you might like it. :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:17 pm 

Back on topic and with latest update:

So I messed around with the Sierra Patch Tool . . . tool . . . and I either "messed" up the first go round, or I was using the "4.2.6" version for an early 10.12.1 installer, booting that brought the international "no" symbol and shut the computer down, even though there was a "usb disk" showing up in the boot manager. Then I downloaded the "4.2.5" version and that either "worked" or I figured out what it was doing and **waited** patiently for the tool to make "the patched OSX base system" installer . . . and then I booted it up and ran through a couple of the installer windows.

However, I didn't really want to run the upgrade, because then there is further need of yet another "patch" to run to get to 10.12.4 upgrade and other "post install" processes . . . so I looked for a "quit installer" button/tab in the patched Sierra Installer . . . and there didn't appear to be one??? So I "backed" up until I got back to the "choose your language" window of the installer, the one that didn't load when I first booted it up . . . and then I got the ubiquitous spinning BB . . . and it spun and it spun . . . so I just hit the "shut it down" power button. On reboot it I went into another user account, but still got an error, "The machine was shut down due to a problem, if you'd like to return to those pages click OK, otherwise wait for another 60 seconds to continue this session . . ." . . . I waited.

Also, oddly, in previous booting with the alt key there was no "recovery disk" showing in the disk list . . . so I thought I would try single user to run the "disable SIP" command that the patch tool guy said was needed to be done before running his tool . . . manged to get into single user, but it didn't accept the command, saying "You have to use Recovery" . . . ?? but how?? then I saw another "you are in read only mode, in order to get to read/write you need run these commands . . . /sbin/fsck xxxxx and another /sbin/xxxx xxxxxx something, which I did and then I tried to "disable SIP" and again it said, "nope" . . . .

So I thought I needed to boot an installer and try the Terminal in it, which I think I tried again to run the disable command, which failed; and then on the third reboot with alt key held . . . there was the Recovery disk . . . ??? booted into that and ran the commands, which were quickly . . . done.

That's more or less the "whole" story . . . seems like the patch tool "worked" but it only goes "forward" as far as once you start the install . . . no turning back or changing your mind on it????

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:45 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
:D

:coffee: :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:18 pm 

It should be noted that anyone that installs 10.12 or later on a system that does not have native SSE 4.2 and uses the kernel extensions that work around that issue will run into problems with library validation, resulting in any app that requires LV displaying unusable/garbled text. Hackintosh users have to watch out for this too because kext injection triggers library validation on 10.13 and later, as do unsigned kexts (Apple obviously isn't going to sign third party hacks to get its old systems onto modern OSes).

So the reality here is that going forward, this endeavor is a dead end street due to more and more apps like Safari, Little Snitch, and even World of Warcraft requiring library validation to run properly or at all. If you have working apps, make sure to keep backups of those installers for them if you still have them, because the newer ones built against the 10.15 XCode SDK will force enable library validation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:28 pm 

@ST:

Thanks for posting in on this, right now I'm standing with 10.11, which seems like the "highest" OS this computer is "rated" by Apple to run . . . because I was just running 10.9 until a week or so back, perfectly fine OS, browsers were supported . . . so 10.11 should be good for the rest of the viable life of this machine . . . . Already going to 10.12.4??? would require more visits to the "dosdude's" site . . . sent him an email on the no "quit" button some days back, no reply from him/her . . . so right, there is a point at which the time spent isn't "worth" it . . . other than for learning purposes . . . .

eep