XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:26 pm 

Has anyone else found Recovery HD partitions listed, when holding down option, as EFI Boot? You choose EFI Boot and the recovery partition starts (verified by waiting for it to finish booting).

diskutil list shows disk0s3 as Recovery HD so I don't think it's the partition map that's gone awry. I mounted EFI and poked around my system, which lists the recovery partition correctly, and one of the broken systems and damned if I can see anything that's different.

I don't see this often but have somehow amassed a stack of systems that are working this way. I mean, they work, but the folks doing setup aren't... technical... and I have a blanket "if Recovery HD doesn't show up leave it for me to deal with" and because EFI Boot shows up and not Recovery HD, they've been left for me.

I know if I nuke the entire HD and set it up from scratch it'll get the right name. I'd just rather not sit through all those hours of installing OS X on every system.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

That was an old "bug" or not, seen by a few...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7518916

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm 

Think I remember seeing that a while back. Memory is fuzzy, but think it behaved normally anyway, as you describe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:10 pm 

Ha, back when I was trying to figure out getting win10 installed, several times I saw that EFI Boot icon on the boot picker. One was trying to boot from a supposedly bootable thumb drive, once from a supposedly bootable DVD. NONE ever actually worked... which led me to reading I HAD to burn the M$ iso with Terminal to make it REALLY bootable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:42 pm 

My first thought at seeing EFI Boot was that something weird would boot but nope, it's just Recovery HD.

I suppose I should look at things in gptedit or whatever that GPT editing tool is. Damn thing scares the hell out of me though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:21 pm 

Oh well, I'm stuck here tonight optimizing a (big) virtual machine so I just started nuking & paving them one by one. With USB 3 installer media the initial install is really quick - with an SSD the rest of the install is quick too, but of course these are all OEM (sloooooooow) HDs.

On the plus side it looks like media no longer eats itself after installation with 10.13.6. 10.9 through 10.12 would, after installing off the media one or two times, bring you to a window reminiscent of <10.5 OS installer by default. Only way I found to get around that was to make the media read-only. So far my 10.13.6 media is on a dozen or more installs without eating itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:13 am 

Recovery HD Still shows correctly in my 2010 Mac Pro - Probably because I'm still using
the MP51.007F.B03 firmware?

I haven't installed 10.13 or 10.14 on a bootable disk yet except in Parallels VM.