XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think the Intaller method will work if you're not using encryption/FillVault.

If you can see the drive from another OS you don't need CMD+s just rename .applesetupdone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:26 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I think the Intaller method will work if you're not using encryption/FillVault.

If you can see the drive from another OS you don't need CMD+s just rename .applesetupdone.

@BD:

Ah, OK, yes, I can see the drive mounted on the desktop . . . so I could run your provide commands in an admin account and that would work out?

I'm not using encryption . . . but, other stuff to do today, might not get to this .applesetupdone gambit . . . .

But, I'll be back with the latest events in the process . . . . :badteeth:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am 
Benevolent Dictator

No, no need to run the command at all, just in finder navigate to var/db, rename .applesetupdone to .applesetupdoneOLD

Attachments:
VarDB.gif
VarDB.gif [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 am 

Wow . . . I think I can do that . . . I'm good with the Finder . . . . :coffee:

Edit: I guess I'm not good with Finder . . . neither "var" nor "db" nor "AppleSetupDone" seem to be showing up iin that partition, but I recall seeing CCC checked "var" . . . ???

Later,

eep

Edit2: Did a Google on it, did "Go to Folder" . .. and it showed me "private" . . . which wasn't showing before, and then var and db . . . but, no "AppleSetupDone" file to be seen there . . . .

Last edited by este.el.paz on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Are you showing Hidden Files?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:56 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Are you showing Hidden Files?

I should be in the OS that I did that in, but see my just done edit, I found "private" . . . etc. but no "APpleSetUpDone. Might have to check my "bool" status??

Edit: Hang on, I guess that show hidden file thing shuts off with reboot, I just used the shift+cmd+ . and I'm back into it . . . so let me look now.

Edit2: OK, the deed has been "done" and is now "old" . . . . So, does this mean I can re-set the password if I reboot into the 10.9 system . . . in User Accounts? Or, what was it? I can look back at what you said in a little while, so thanks for getting me this far.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:12 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work once you put the coffee down! :P

Now when you boot to that OS 10.9 it'll look like a new install setup, don't worry your other accounts are still there, :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:36 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Great work once you put the coffee down! :P

Now when you boot to that OS 10.9 it'll look like a new install setup, don't worry your other accounts are still there, :)

@BD:

Thanks, yes, sometimes I get "lucky" . . . but, having a minute to think about what you showed me, figured that, right, next time I log into that system it will run through the setup assistant stuff again . . . .

Great piece of knowledge into the inner workings of OSX, I never get too far under the hood of OSX . . . it's only in these weird "interactions" between linux and OSX where one does something "unfriendly" to the other . . . that there is such a need . . . .

But, this, "we don't accept the admin log in" thing that seems to go along with CCC cloning, has happened before, and long ago enough that I "forgot" that detail . . . so very kind that you and this forum are here to help clean it up. :D :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Wonderful that I could help, one of these days I'll need some help with Linux, OSX is going down the tube to iOSX, & running Win 10 for a short bit makes OSX look pretty good!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Wonderful that I could help, one of these days I'll need some help with Linux, OSX is going down the tube to iOSX, & running Win 10 for a short bit makes OSX look pretty good!

@BD:

Well I would endeavor to return the favor on the linux front . . . I am versed in running installs of a number of distros. Once you get playing with the different offerings for OS, there isn't a huge difference between them . . . they all have "strengths" and "weaknesses" . . . . And, I think that if you have familiarity with Windows, then the keyboard shortcuts are the same in linux, i.e., "control +" . . . rather than "command +" . . . .

So far I think for the "best all-rounder" for stepping into linux would be "Ubuntu-MATE" distro . . . it seems to be getting a lot of attention from the devs and new stuff is coming out pretty often, even more than in "Siduction" unstable . . . .

And, then, because I participate in the list serve . . . next pick is LubuntuNext . . . or now it is just 19.04 . . . they have the GUI graphics pretty nice these days, and the community in the Ubuntu forum is generally responsive and helpful. Whereas the "Debian" crowd seems a little less "forgiving" of newbie issues . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, thanks, you should be invaluable... later.

Oh, you ever had any experience with LinuxBBQ?

Attachments:
KuBuntu32.gif
KuBuntu32.gif [ 50.15 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:36 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Ah, thanks, you should be invaluable... later.

Oh, you ever had any experience with LinuxBBQ?

Somehow I feel a joke coming on . . . . :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek:

But, no, have to say I haven't even heard of that one, but, possibly there are thousands of distros . . . I tend to stay with the bigger names and try for the LTS versions, except lately where I've been playing with Beta & even "sid/unstable" . . . . And the Ubuntu options have a lot of players fiddling with them . . . it's the "Apple Users" sub-forum where the "lunatic fringe" folks hang out . . . .

One of the smart guys there said he thought that "OpenSUSE" is "the newest stack" and so I've been playing with some distros of those options . . . there is a "learning curve" to switching over from ubuntu to them . . . there I've been messing with "Gecko" "rolling" . . . that I think is like what Ubuntu is to Debian . . . the Gecko folks have added their touches to the base OpenSUSE system . . . the installer for OpenSUSE is a little "complicated" compared to the Ubuntu options . . . .

I usually cut out a partition in OSX and format it ExFat, and then use "custom" in the linux installer to set up the install. In the old days I used to use "automatic" and it often would find the partition I had set up ahead of the install, but sometimes it wouldn't . . . .

But, as far as BBQ goes . . . no ideer . . . am I off the hook?? :welcome:

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the images before I started typing. In the past I didn't find "Kubuntu" to be friendly to Mac, so I didn't use it. Lately more distros seem to be using kdf/Plasma and my Siduction and perhaps the Leap 15.1 install have Plasma as the DE, and except for the destruction to my whole system . . . it's been "OK" . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Oh, no joke... unless it was on me... strangest Linux, no strangest OS Im ever did see!

Looks like they really changed it...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bbqlinux/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:59 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Oh, no joke... unless it was on me... strangest Linux, no strangest OS Im ever did see!

Looks like they really changed it...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bbqlinux/

Ah, it's an "Arch" based system . . . that I did find to be just overly complicated . . . . I think they did offer a "PPC" option, but, it was just too obtuse for this simple mind to handle . . . . I just moved on, so many flavors, so little time.

But I think I've mentioned this before, I see "linux" as what the "apple" options were so many years back . . . for the "creative" types . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:09 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
I just moved on, so many flavors, so little time.

Indeed, but that would require me to grow up & get serious! :snail:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:29 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
I just moved on, so many flavors, so little time.

Indeed, but that would require me to grow up & get serious! :snail:

And that would be a **critical** error . . . stick with the Peter Pan syndrome as the best path forward. :bonk:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Working on OSX & Windows® right now :)

Attachments:
BangHeadBig.gif
BangHeadBig.gif [ 247.48 KiB | Viewed 407 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:21 pm 

Yep . . . haven't tried that one, because I found that if you use Boot Camp it seems to "lock" the entire drive, so that you can't add partitions . . . so, if you have a drive that you know all you will have is OSX & Windows, then prolly BC might be the way to go on it??

Or, what else? Virtual Box? These days I'm leaning toward the "emulator" approach over having to reboot into and out of systems . . . it's just the "window in a window" thing that I find "irritating" . . . but, then so is re-booting to get into and out of accessing "stuff" . . . . There is apparently software that will let you open linux docs within OSX . . . or whatever, but it prolly costs something . . . more than the cost of a "restart."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I prefer the Emulation method myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I prefer the Emulation method myself.

Better than bashing ones head on the table trying to do it the hard way . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:56 pm 

Boot Camp locks the partition map because it installs a hidden CSM partition that it loads before loading Windows, so it can run in BIOS mode instead of EFI mode. Windows 8 & later can run in EFI mode, Windows 7 & earlier need CSM.

However I think if you create additional partitions before you let Boot Camp create the Windows partition, you can end up with multiple partitions. But then it's fixed in stone until you dump Boot Camp.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Boot Camp locks the partition map because it installs a hidden CSM partition that it loads before loading Windows, so it can run in BIOS mode instead of EFI mode. Windows 8 & later can run in EFI mode, Windows 7 & earlier need CSM.

However I think if you create additional partitions before you let Boot Camp create the Windows partition, you can end up with multiple partitions. But then it's fixed in stone until you dump Boot Camp.

@MB:

Truth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:37 pm 

iPartition can generate a new EFI partition.

Coriolis shut down recently, but they are giving away copies of their software for free if you don't
have a copy already. They will begin giving iPartition away July 1st. Right now they have iDefrag
available on the download list. :)

https://coriolis-systems.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:06 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, good info. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:06 pm 

kjk555 wrote:
iPartition can generate a new EFI partition.

Coriolis shut down recently, but they are giving away copies of their software for free if you don't
have a copy already. They will begin giving iPartition away July 1st. Right now they have iDefrag
available on the download list. :)

https://coriolis-systems.com/

@kjk555:

THanks for that info . . . good to know possibly for the "next time" . . . have the new EFI partition "installed" already . . . .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next