XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm 
he who stacks pork

I stumbled upon this foray of possibilities:

http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

Who will be the first one to give ’er a go? Doesn’t seem as though it will brick yer Mac Pro, but please do have a backup of a last-known-booting/working HD ready to pop in, should the attempt turn into a tumultuous clusterfuck.

My only concerns (other than the stock Bluetooth/Wireless not working) is whether Metal supported GPUs will be supported under 10.13.x.

Thoughts?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:04 pm 

Check your airport extreme card in system information to verify it does not have one of the IDs that doesn't work in High Sierra due to removal of the driver. It doens't mess with firmware, so there is no flashing involved. This will be as high as you get to go AFAIK, since Mojave really kills support for the 3,1. Lots of apps are also going to start appearing that are built against the Mojave SDK, which enforces SSE 4.2 requirements. There are no MP3,1 CPUs with anything later than SSE 4.1.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’ve already confirmed that my Aeropuetro Extreme card will not be compatible. I’m more interested in seeing what else is supported/unsupported. It would be nice to get proper Metal support from a Metal-supported card (I have a few available on hand happily doing their Metal thing in Hackintoshes).

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 pm 

Any GPU that is 6xx series or later for nVidia or R200 series (plus Radeon HD 78xx) are metal supported. Apple hasn't forced any GPUs into the Metal v2 Only category yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:00 pm 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
Apple hasn't forced any GPUs into the Metal v2 Only category yet.

Surely they will within the next couple of OS revisions though. :roll:

Now all I need is some free time to set aside in order to attempt this stunt on my old ass Mac Pro. It would seem that all I need is a USB wireless adaptor (I have a spare which works great in High Sierra on a Hackintosh) and a 6-pin to 8-pin power cable for one of the AMD cards I own (Radeon 7970, Radeon R9 290x, Radeon 580).

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:57 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’m apprehensive now, as the note from dosdude on Youtube (whose 3,1 to High Sierra video I was inspired by) commented:

dosdude from YewTwebz wrote:
No AMD GPUs newer than the Radeon HD 4xxx series will work perfectly on a Mac Pro 3,1 running High Sierra (there is partial support). When Mojave comes out, NO AMD GPU newer than the Radeon HD 4xxx series will work at all. Use an nVidia GPU for best support.

I’m not sure as to what extent my 7970/R9 290x/580 cards will not be compatible. All I want is basic metal support and High Sierra so I can ditch Windoze once and for all; I am not looking for amazing GPU-aided results in Photoshop or anything like that. I am not partial to Nvidia graphics cards due to the need to constantly upgrade drivers for macOS support.

Meanwhile I see the 2010 - 2012 Mac Pro prices haven’t budged much lately, and am still considering pulling the trigger and appropriately maxxing out the CPUs with the dual six-core 3.46MHz Xeons.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am 

It'd be interesting to know why he believes they won't have any support at all come Mojave. The drivers would obviously see the card, so it has to be something else, either with his patches or the EFI firmware.

Edit: Ahhh, so the AMD drivers are also expecting SSE 4.2 instructions. I had a feeling that the SSE 4.2 requirement was gonna start biting people in the ass. It's only a matter of time before Apple's built in nVidia drivers require them too, making updating/installing next to impossible, or at least unbearable since w/o the drivers enabling acceleration, displays function as raster devices only, and only at native resolution at that until you get the web drivers installed. This of course assumes nVidia doesn't end up requiring SSE 4.2 as well, which I suspect will happen once they start building the drivers against the Mojave SDK.