XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 am 

I have a new iMac and noticed that Quicktime was absent from its list of available Apps Apple usually recommends. Would you recommend loading the Quicktime App? I think I just answered my question, I hope. Quicktime is not in the App Store. Would there be an alternative Media Player that you would recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:43 am 

By new do you mean brand new with Sierra, or do you mean a used one new to you?

As far as I know Quicktime still comes with Sierra but it has been called Quicktime Player for at least the last couple of major OSX releases. It should be installed with the operating system and I don't think there is a way to obtain it separately unless you are looking for a much older version:

Download QuickTime Player 7 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 or later - https://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

You should have Quicktime installed but for general video viewing I prefer VLC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:56 pm 

Liminos.

I have a new iMac with Sierra. I checked LaunchPad and did not see the Quicktime icon on that. But I did find Quicktime Player App in the Macintosh HD> Applications. Sorry, I only knew it as Quicktime and not QT player from my MacBook 2,1 (OS X 10.6.9) and my G3 -> G4 B/W.PPC desktop and my wife's G5 iMac (both with OS X 10.4.11).

Thanks, still getting use to the new iMac,
Blazer88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:57 pm 

QuickTime X is included with newer versions of OS X. It was released alongside Final Cut Pro X and depends on many of the same technologies. Like FCPX it lacks many features of the application it replaced.

As Limnos points out you can install QT7 alongside QTX and they'll cooperate with one another. I have yet to encounter a QT7 plugin, codec, etc. that doesn't also continue to function (there probably are some, but at least in my experience many continue to work) once you install it and QT7, and since its the 7 Player all those missing features in X are present.

I have a pretty simple Applescript that opens Quicktime Player, selects a movie, plays it, then switches to fullscreen mode. Complicated stuff, right? But X wasn't capable of doing it.

If X has all the features you need then there's no point installing 7, but if you notice something missing... this is why. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:15 pm 

QuickTime Pro 7's MIDI functionality is essential to me. It's how I get VGM MIDIs converted to piano and exported to WAV for listening to on my phone (MIDISheetMusic is the app used to convert to piano and nuke the percussion and QT7 itself is used to export to WAV).