XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:31 pm 
Team Towel Guy

Folks:

Hope everyone is handling the recent problems fairly well . . . ??

Saga of the "zombie" Sawtooth continues . . . since upgrading the video card to the "last PPC video card on OWC" awhile back, the machine boots up more consistently . . . the linux side has not "figured it out" moving from one "radeon" card to another "radeon" . . . but the OSX 10.5 side boots and runs well . . . . But, then after roughly 30 - 45 mins the display goes black . . . and the machine continues to "run" . . . but sans video of any type?

We've replaced just about most of the major components except "power supply" and mobo . . . and at last posted thread it seemed like @MB's best advice was that next stop would be "power supply" . . . so as part of the rainy day, stay at home time today I took a spin through eBay looking at all of the old G4's that are looking for long term homes for various prices, in there was a link to this offering to "rebuild your existing power supply that you ship to me" for possibly $79.99 for a "Quicksilver" ???

Does that seem like a "good way to go" to getting a bolt-in/snap in product . . . I think BD & MB were talking about using a newer spec power supply, but then that would require **soldering** of various items to get the cables to match the olden day G4 type . . . way beyond my skillset . . . . Obviously there might be other options in buying machines to scavenge parts from, parts that may or may not fit, parts that may or may not last longer than five minutes . . . . Would this option of $80 plus shipping be a good choice or has anyone used this person's service?? I haven't messaged them to see if they only have parts for Quicksilver or whether they do Sawtooth power supplies . . . just yet, asking here first . . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-SERVICE-Apple-PowerMac-G4-Quicksilver-Power-Supply-QS-API1PC12/141543772231?hash=item20f4aa9047:g:CRUAAOSwk5FUuUsM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sounds cool.

Quote:
The last part of the Quicksilver adaptation is the CPU power connection. In the PC world, this is referred to as the P4 connector. It's a 4 pin connector with two +12v wires and two grounds. Of course, Apple couldn't use standard wiring, so they reversed the polarity of this connection. You can buy adapter cables which will convert a spare hard drive molex connector to a P4 connector, or you can use the connector on your power supply if it's long enough, but you will need to reverse the polarity before you use it. I include a CPU power cable with every Quicksilver ATXG4 kit.

For convenience, I also include power adapters to use to connect the Apple case fan to the new ATX power supply. This adapter plugs into a normal hard drive power connector and provides a connection to the fan. The adapter has the ends crimped into the molex connector to give a clean look with no unsightly splices.

http://atxg4.com/quicksilver.html

I wonder if this guy still makes the adapters?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:37 pm 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
Sounds cool.

Quote:
The last part of the Quicksilver adaptation is the CPU power connection. In the PC world, this is referred to as the P4 connector. It's a 4 pin connector with two +12v wires and two grounds. Of course, Apple couldn't use standard wiring, so they reversed the polarity of this connection. You can buy adapter cables which will convert a spare hard drive molex connector to a P4 connector, or you can use the connector on your power supply if it's long enough, but you will need to reverse the polarity before you use it. I include a CPU power cable with every Quicksilver ATXG4 kit.

For convenience, I also include power adapters to use to connect the Apple case fan to the new ATX power supply. This adapter plugs into a normal hard drive power connector and provides a connection to the fan. The adapter has the ends crimped into the molex connector to give a clean look with no unsightly splices.

http://atxg4.com/quicksilver.html

I wonder if this guy still makes the adapters?

Looks like his Sawtooth adapter is still "available"?? But how does that calc out for new ATX power supply plus wacky adapter to reverse the polarity, etc?? compared to "rebuild" the existing???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:57 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Your option may well be the best, the Sawtooth adapter? does that work for the QS?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:30 pm 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
Your option may well be the best, the Sawtooth adapter? does that work for the QS?

What? :?: [cue sound of big hit on the ice bong] . . . [cue sound of coughing exhale] . . . um [cough] . . . the eBay link was "for QS," but my zombie G4 is a Sawtooth . . . . I was just wondering whether going that route of "rebuild" would be best bang for buck . . . and then the question would be whether the servicer would also do ST . . . or only QS??

If the person says only QS, then maybe trying this ATX adapter which is for ST . . . .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:20 pm 

Do you know what fails on them? If it's the caps, which is common with PSUs being a high voltage and high heat environment, a cap replacement by a competant solder monkey would be the way to go IMO. It shouldn't be too expensive it's not that bad of a job.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:40 am 
Team Towel Guy

juansolo wrote:
Do you know what fails on them? If it's the caps, which is common with PSUs being a high voltage and high heat environment, a cap replacement by a competant solder monkey would be the way to go IMO. It shouldn't be too expensive it's not that bad of a job.

@juansolo:

So you mean like any "local" computer repair shop might be able to do this type of repair?? for "not too much money" . . . ??? Less than $80?? Or, it's always going to be "minimum hourly charge" for the general tech repair guy??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 am 

If you take the supply out, I suspect a local electronics repairer could swap the caps on it no problems. It's not a hard job. The caps ain't gonna cost a great deal, but there'll be a bit of labour in there. Maybe $60 or so. Your local computer store aren't likely to be solder jockeys, you want an electronics place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:31 am 
Team Towel Guy

juansolo wrote:
If you take the supply out, I suspect a local electronics repairer could swap the caps on it no problems. It's not a hard job. The caps ain't gonna cost a great deal, but there'll be a bit of labour in there. Maybe $60 or so. Your local computer store aren't likely to be solder jockeys, you want an electronics place.

@juansolo:

Thanks for the reply . . . I got that a "computer store" wouldn't do this, perhaps we have the "back and forth over the pond" situation as far as what things are named, but would "electronics place" be a different entity than a "computer repair shop(pe)" ??? I have emailed a local repair shop that helped me out with getting some cpu jumpers back when I was messing with upgrading the cpu in my zombie 3,1 . . . . But, this is "LA" and most every service is a "negotiation" where the shop needs to maximize profits for even the smallest of jobs . . . if they don't get back to me on it then I'll get in touch with the eBay guy and see if he'll work his rebuild magic on the "Sawtooth" or if they only go back to QS . . . .

Or, are you suggesting that "electronics place" is something other than the "computer repair place"????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:27 am 

Likely a computer place here are likely to be PC types that can slap a few components into a case and plug it all together and make it work. An electronics tech would take in your old amplifier or TV and with a set of schematics get on with repairing it at a component level. A computer place here I would not trust to repair a PSU, they'd just want to replace it. Shame you're not over here, you could have sent it over and I'd have done a cap job on it for you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:16 am 
Team Towel Guy

juansolo wrote:
Likely a computer place here are likely to be PC types that can slap a few components into a case and plug it all together and make it work. An electronics tech would take in your old amplifier or TV and with a set of schematics get on with repairing it at a component level. A computer place here I would not trust to repair a PSU, they'd just want to replace it. Shame you're not over here, you could have sent it over and I'd have done a cap job on it for you.

@JS:

OK, yes, for the most part, "computer repair" guys are parts mechanics, bolt in bolt out, etc . . . hard to say if what you are talking about still exists in LA . . . . Haven't heard back from the "tech" guy I emailed yesterday, which isn't that unusual . . . for them in particular, and then I guess "everybody has moved on from email" these days . . . nobody has time to edit what they type out in "tiny bubbles" . . . ????

I'll have to look around and see what I can find . . . might be around . . . "electronics technician to do cap replacement in power supply"???? Still look like the guy on eBay is willing to do it for $80 + shipping to . . . where???? :whip: :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 am 

You could do an ATX power supply conversion but current ATX and old ATX aren't the same thing. They've removed -5V and 3.3V and 5V maximum loads were reduced, which may or may not be a problem. The pinouts on the connector are similar though there's 24 pins on the main connector (instead of 20) plus a secondary 4+4 12V connector.

You'd probably end up spending about the same as getting your supply re-capped as buying one and converting it, at least for a decent power supply.

Last time I did something similar it was to convert a quicksilver power supply to a digital audio motherboard - I used an ATX extension cable then re-wired one side of the extension to change the pinouts. That way I could replace the power supply without having to re-wire it. Worked pretty well, although Apple's PSU fans kept dying and cooking caps. But back then quicksilver power supplies were $20-30 on eBay.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:13 am 
Team Towel Guy

@MB:

Thanks for the details . . . I think we went through that rough process on my other thread, and does seem like it's beyond my skillset . . . so possibly trying to find someone to "solder the caps" or sending it to the eBay rebuild guy might have to be the solution.

But, as I was taking my constitutional bike ride yesterday it came to me that when you guys are saying "caps" that has a different meaning than in the construction field . . . are you meaning "capacitor"??? I saw a Yelp ad for an "electronics repair" place that claimed to do "motherboard repair . . . cheaper to replace a capacitor or three than buy a new computer"????

Is that the kind of place you are talking about to re-solder in some new "capacitors" in the power supply?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:43 am 
Benevolent Dictator

capacitors... yes. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:29 am 
Team Towel Guy

BDAqua wrote:
capacitors... yes. :)

BD:

Thanks . . . took me awhile to get it . . . :snail:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:08 am 

We also didn't mean this kind of cap:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:48 am 
Team Towel Guy

That is good news indeed . . . didn't think there would be room inside the power supply for that size of cap . . . .