XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:43 pm 
he who stacks pork

Guy I got it from was not very knowledgeable about his computer, as I had to show him how to remove the top cover with the two front case release button thingies. Once the cover was off, we realised why the computer would not turn on—surely it’s tied to something I have never seen before in an Apple computer—assumedly leaking acid and related corrosion from the PRAM battery pretty much etched a hole through the front traces on the motherboard. Luckily, I have a spare Rev. B motherboard and I think a $45DF1 (or whatever the hell the part code was) ROM lying around somewhere to plop in there… along with a 450MHz G4 ZIF, and 768MB of RAM… oh, and I have several graphics cards and HDs to mess around with. Worst case, I have a spare ATX powersupply that will surely outlast the stock Apple unit. Just need a contiguous block of oh I dunno, maybe 6 hours of time to fart around with it.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Damn, just when a market for all my Beige parts opens up!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:18 pm 
he who stacks pork

It’s kinda hilarious about the market for Beiges, as one week before I acquired the machine, I sold my Wings Personality Card on eBay for possibly stupidly-low Buy-It-Now price of $45.00 with free shipping. :confused: I’ll of course be just fine with the basic Rev A Personality Card though. It’d be cool to set it up with my old flashed Voodoo3 3000 PCI card for older games that used 3dfx OpenGL (Quake I, Quake II, early test of Quake II Arena, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Myth II, etc.). But I shall inquire about your parts list: what have you got for sale?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Name it... I haven't even opened several boxes from Mike believe it or not.

I have an unopened G3/600MHz Ziff, maybe a Dual CPU G4 /500MHz card for Beiges, power supplies? CD/DVD & zip drives? Video cards? 3D glasses for Formac Video card... I really don't know, most Beige stuff is under piles too deep to easily dig through.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:49 pm 
he who stacks pork

BDAqua wrote:
Name it... I haven't even opened several boxes from Mike believe it or not.

I have an unopened G3/600MHz Ziff, maybe a Dual CPU G4 /500MHz card for Beiges, power supplies? CD/DVD & zip drives? Video cards? 3D glasses for Formac Video card... I really don't know, most Beige stuff is under piles too deep to easily dig through.

Although I tinkered with the first three revisions of the Xlr8 dual G4 upgrades back when they were brand new, I will happily pass, as those were a royal pain in the ass to get working without serious downclocking of the CPUs. I might be interested in the 600MHz G3; is it the Powerlogix one with the rotary knob for multiplier settings? I have no idea yet about the optical drive (and surely don’t need a Zip drive), as I haven’t even tested the thing yet.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:28 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Not the PowerLogix one, I'd have to dig it out to see what it was, but I think it was the last single new ZIFF available anywhere.

They had a different model for B&W G3, company was actually out of biz when I ordered it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:38 pm 

When I moved out of Chicago I went through and tossed a ton of hardware into the trash. I remember coming across my Zip250 drive with the Firewire adapter and hemming and hawwing because when the hell am I ever going to see another one but into the trash it went.

One of those bus powered devices responsible for frying firewire ports but it was nice to not have to carry around the damn wall wart.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, forgot, SCSI Jazz, Syjet, & some 650 MO drive & $400 worth of MO discs never used, & what was that other bigger external drive with removable platters?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:51 pm 

There was Bernoulli, which got their name from the fact that the heads were held at a particular distance from the disk by the Bernoulli Effect. Then there were the Syquest platter drives, those were all the rage at my work at the time, that maybe didn't use the BE to hold the heads over the platters but were the same platter-in-a-cartridge format.

Looking back I'm amazed those heads weren't knocked out of alignment more often.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Oh, I have the Syquests also in 2 sizes but were very prone to ruin the cartridges using Syquest's drivers, a 3rd party driver was much better.

Castlewood made the other drives I was thinking of... 2.2 GB carts maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:03 pm 

Well, I forgot that Iomega in their pre-Zip days made Bernoulli.

Never saw Castlewood drives, looks like they came out at the end of the removable drive era.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, Orb drives they were called.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:40 am 

I had this cheesegrater sitting in a corner... opened it up and see it's a G5 machine. From the EMC and model number I see it can be one of 3 different configs dual 2.0, 2.3, or 2.7 G5s. I wonder of anyone can swap out the mobo for one from the Intel gen of those cases? I keep hoping that all the fruit needs to do is create a swappable mobo for those towers with some new shizz on them... think I'd pay even up to maybe 1.5 grand for such an item... and I think there IS a pretty decent market for such.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:01 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Can't swap easily, way different port layouts & power hookups...

https://medium.com/root-ventures/buildi ... cde5a3816e

If it didn't cost so much to ship them I'd ask you how much you wanted for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am 

DAMN BD how the frak do you come up with such amazing tidbits? What a dream, take this old chassis I have and turn it into a hackintosh... BUT that thought really scares the shizz out of me... it's just SO easy for them to completely kill them all... or at least very much arrest then to our current OS, which is OK for a while. Hell, with a 980, I AM pretty much arrested, which is why I am putting so many hours into get a winblowz thing running on this hardware.

I wonder if there wasn't someone who could just deal with all the mods he talked about, like for money.

Oh I doubt I'll ever really part with this AND I do notice one design flaw, putting the power supply right under the CPUs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
DAMN BD how the frak do you come up with such amazing tidbits?

It was a common query/reply on Mike's site back in the day when G5's were dying left & right & Apple was going Intel anyway.

Besides that I have to credit google, they have compiled my 12,983,467,231,414 searches & know what I'm looking for before I ask usually. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:07 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well, I forgot that Iomega in their pre-Zip days made Bernoulli.

Never saw Castlewood drives, looks like they came out at the end of the removable drive era.

Iomega has their own Orb drives. Initially they were available as 1 GB versions, then 2.2 GB. I had the 1 GB version. Expensive as hell back then, but it matched the capacity of my internal drive and thus afforded me a TON of space to store non-gaming related material and as pure backups of my system in case the internal drive took a shit on me. Thankfully that never happpened as SCSI drives back then were light years ahead of the IDE drives in terms of reliability.

What I wouldn't give for a PowerMac 8600 tricked out and able to use SAS drives instead of the old 50 pin SCSI connectors. Such speed...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:49 pm 

Ah, the SCSI days... I think you could make a whole handgun out of the metal in one 3' SCSI cable...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:08 pm 
Master

BDAqua wrote:
...ruin the cartridges...

Oof, SyQuest. I don't think those things could have been slower or less reliable if they had made the platters out of stale matzo crackers. They just never worked. The half-life of anything I ever stored on those calamitous contraptions was measured in weeks. Ugh. Even Zip wasn't that bad, and you didn't expect a Zip disk to work very well: they were cheap! SyQuest cartridges, admittedly a much older format, were expensive. Yeah, I guess the cartridges were cheaper than a whole new hard drive, but my goodness they crapped themselves a lot.

Iomega Jaz drives, which adopted the same technological idea were, however, much worse.

Come to think of it, I'm really pretty happy with solid-state USB flash drives. Spinning storage media just has too many downsides. USB flash drives are cheaper than gravel or bottled water, are usually tolerably reliable even if you buy the cheapest ones, are fast enough, and they're well nigh mechanically indestructible even when their cases are made of something with a texture between cardboard and recycled happy meal toys.

I'm definitely not nostalgic for Ye Olden Days of removable storage. :emphatic-eek:

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 pm 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:
What I wouldn't give for a PowerMac 8600 tricked out and able to use SAS drives instead of the old 50 pin SCSI connectors. Such speed...

I acquired a 9500 from my Dad several months ago… or is it a 9600? I don’t remember. Thing is in great condition. I only recently acquired an old-school CRT (nice to be back to 50 pounds of glass) so I can see if I can get a screen; have not been able to do so up to this point. I have crap-tons of upgrades for it. Lemme know if you want to check it out sometime… possibly take ownership of if. I have G3 and G4 upgrades for it also.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:54 pm 

9500's had the annoying metal case that slides over the internal tower structure, held on by four or 6 screws at the back. 9600s have a panel that comes off the side and then, if you put flip it onto the other side, you can flip up the top half of the system to expose the entire motherboard. That case (well, the 8600's case, which looks similar but smaller) was the best part of the Beige G3 minitowers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 am 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Squishy Tia wrote:

I acquired a 9500 from my Dad several months ago… or is it a 9600? I don’t remember. Thing is in great condition. I only recently acquired an old-school CRT (nice to be back to 50 pounds of glass) so I can see if I can get a screen; have not been able to do so up to this point. I have crap-tons of upgrades for it. Lemme know if you want to check it out sometime… possibly take ownership of if. I have G3 and G4 upgrades for it also.

-he who stacks pork

The best upgrade for those machines was the G4/400 CPU. Properly cooled it was a beast. I remember when I bought a powerlogix dual ZIF card (no CPU) and tried to use two CPUs. Didn't work. Probably would have if I'd gone to OS X, but I was a stubborn OS 9 loving fool back then because Cheetah sucked ass at the time. It didn't get good until Tiger, the final dance for true native PPC.

Kinda want to play Cobra Gunship on that old Mac again. It was fun as hell for its day. T'weren't no UT99 on the MDD G4 that BDA gave me, but it was one I earned myself and every game felt awesome for it. :)

If you decide you need me for your hackintosh I could look at it at the same time. BTW, regarding that - you do not want a Killer board for hackintoshing. The mobo may be blazing fast, but the Killer NIC is not supported and doesn't work right, if at all. Unless of course that's a dual NIC board with one being the Intel 210 or 217.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:13 am 

Armor Alley was fun when played with two people in control, one for the chopper and one for the groups, and too much beer while at it.

http://www.schillmania.com/armor-alley/

I bought an old 8600 for my daughter when she was like 5 years old, costed some 20 euros. Had to build a PC for her after a couple of years for Sims etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:23 pm 

I miss my old PM G4. I need to get that sucker back from my cousin now that he's out of school. But finding a Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB GPU is gonna be a bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:45 pm 

I forget what I had in my G4. It's sitting in my storage bedroom. I'd check when I get home tonight but I just moved several metric tons of equipment out of my old office to the new building so my back is probably going to demand bedrest tonight and not more leaning over and rummaging.