XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:06 am 

I decided to splurge a little with my tax refund and bought one of the new Fire HD tablets. All my movies are on the G5 and the iTunes that was compatible with iOS 9 wasn't compatible with the G5 so I had to shuffle them over to the Mini to get them onto the iPad and... it was a pain. I opted for the 64GB variant and no advertising so the Fire ended up being $140 something. Adding on a case and a 128GB MicroSD and I'm still under $200. I got 5 months 0% financing so the Fire ended up being $40-something... so I'm under $100 for the month.

Anyway, at some point in my little song and dance trying to get movies onto the SD card w/o yanking it out of the Fire I plugged it into the G5 via USB. Didn't let me get to it (so I just pop the SD out and into my G5's SD reader), but today, a few days after I did that little song and dance, for the first time in years I got an update pop-up on the G5 saying a RAW Camera Update was available. I guess it saw the camera on the Fire?

After eyeballing my Time Machine to make sure I have a current backup and my bootable backup isn't too far out of date (not much changes on the G5 besides email) I go ahead and install it, reboot and... uh oh... no login prompt. Sits at a blue screen for a while, blue screen changes to a blue screen with a cursor for a couple minutes, then back to empty blue screen.

Rebooted to my bootable backup and it was still bootable and had a login prompt. Reboot into single user mode, fsck, file system was modified!, reboot, and... shifting blue screens.

Decided to take a page out of my usual Intel song and dance, from single user mode dumped /Library/Caches, /System/Library/Caches, /Users/<username>/Library/Caches, /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/ByHost, and then reboot in verbose mode. Lots of extra grinding and nail biting waiting but... login prompt! Yay.

Now, over an hour later, I can finally go to sleep. I have no idea what possesses me to try stuff right before bedtime. I think curiousity got the better of me. Based on /Library/Receipts it seems to have been released in 2009.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew... great to hear it's still clicking.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
... for the first time in years I got an update pop-up on the G5 saying a RAW Camera Update was available. I guess it saw the camera on the Fire?

Like Hugh Hefner with a bikini model, I'm surprised something so old thought it was available for an update of any kind. Still, I like its ambition even if it didn't work out.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:03 pm 

Ah, the fun just keeps on giving. As part of my diagnostics I turned off and disconnected all external drives, to make figuring out WTF was going on with the G5 easier.

Well when I turned on my external data drive it was corrupt. Not just a little corrupt, so corrupt DiskWarrior has trouble getting it back to working order. It finally figured it out, preview looked perfect, so I wrote the changes back out to the disk and... i/o error. Argh. So I go through the DW song and dance again and get it back to a working Preview (this time with dire warnings about missing data). Power on my backup data drive, that I periodically clone the data drive to, and realize I've got like 4 months of movies and tv shows and tax returns and everything else to copy onto the backup. A couple hours of nail biting later it all copied over.

So far the data drive is still acting weird. Connected over eSATA it throws all kinds of Kernel debug messages and refuses to let me do anything. Connected over Firewire it works well enough to let me zero the drive and repartition it but once that's done it goes into a zombie state where I can't eject or dismount it. I'm guessing it just plain failed but I don't have a PC with a free SATA port right now to diagnose it further.

On a slightly more pleasant note NewEgg was running a sale on 4TB drives this week so I got a replacement for $85 shipped. I also ordered an external eSATA/USB3 case which isn't as nice as the eSATA/USB3/FW800 case its currently in but I figured I could use a spare case, and it was only $30. OWC doesn't even make my case anymore and the cheapest one they have with a FW interface is $68, and their USB cases don't have eSATA. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:56 pm 

Well I wrote 800GB of zeros to the old HD tonight via a USB3 adapter and the new HD had the same issues as the old HD in the old case.

Wish me luck, I have about 2TB of data to sync from the backup to the new HD using a slightly different arrangement. Once I have the data on a couple HDs I'll feel more confident about figuring out what exactly isn't working.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:43 pm 

See if there is any RAW you can delete in sub folders down in
/Library/Application Support ...
and also sub folders in
Users/<username>/Library/Android ...

Unfortunately RAW files are installed all over the place. If you can get to a state where you can access the volume, Find Any File may give you some clues (by Creation date) to track down that recent wayward DL that seems to coincide with the bluescreen.

cross fingers

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:15 am 

Eh the update seems to be well behaved once I cleared caches. The G5 is perfectly fine so long as I don't connect this one particular drive to the system, which would seem to indicate a problem with something related to that drive.

I'm almost certain the disk issue isn't software related. I won't know for sure until I get further along in the sync, which I'm running over firewire instead of eSATA, so its taking goddamn forever. I just eliminated a FW daisy chain so hopefully it'll go a little faster this time... and it can pick up from where it left off.

It took 2 hours to get 200GB copied. The destination drive is FW400 now but at least they're spread across different controllers.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:24 am 

Yeah I knew that reply would jinx me.

Took the new drive out of the old case, transplanted it into another case, hooked it and the backup drive to eSATA and once it fscked the new drive it stopped logging errors to Console. 500GB out of ~2TB copied now. Should get 75MB/s or faster for the rest of the copy if the past is any indication.

To be honest, the biggest thing that surprised me about the update showing up was that Apple is still running the old update servers. I figured they would have taken those down years ago.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
To be honest, the biggest thing that surprised me about the update showing up was that Apple is still running the old update servers. I figured they would have taken those down years ago.

I'm a bit shocked also !?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:53 pm 

I think the last OS that used the old servers was 10.7. In 10.8 they moved to the app store update model which they still use today.

Okay, so it was the case that failed. The drive is fine, even its power supply is fine. I swapped in a new drive into the old case, connected a different working power supply, even connected over multiple firewire ports and cables. When I switched to a new case the problems stopped. Drive, power supply, cable, all the same. Even switched back to eSATA and the problems stayed away long enough to copy the remaining ~2TB of data over. And fast too, it averaged over 125MB/s.

So now I swapped it into a different USB/eSATA case. The problem is that now I have to crawl around on the floor and sort through power supplies to get the old one out and the new one in, since they're different PSUs. I put the drive back in the "new" case (originally hosting my OS backup drive) and that's working fine too over FW800 using the FW800 cable.

Sad to say this isn't the first time an OWC case has done this. I had hoped the additional steps I had taken to clean power would yield benefits but at best it just pushed it back a little while. The capacitors all look fine, no bulging or leaking.

I'm a little paranoid about my backup data drive because the cooling fan doesn't work. I've swapped in a fan from another case and it stays off. so its some kind of controller fault. I'm fairly sure its been that way since the case was new, but I only noticed it after the warranty had expired. All the other cases had dust around the intake and fan outlet, but this one was sparkling clean. Which is why I swapped it over to the drive that's normally turned off.

End of the day I can rotate out a 2TB drive and roll a 4TB drive into its place, maybe even use a 2TB drive to displace a 1TB drive, although the only 1TB drives I have in rotation are Samsung HD103s that I'm loathe to do much besides maintain effective backups.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Yeah I knew that reply would jinx me.

Took the new drive out of the old case, transplanted it into another case, hooked it and the backup drive to eSATA and once it fscked the new drive it stopped logging errors to Console. 500GB out of ~2TB copied now. Should get 75MB/s or faster for the rest of the copy if the past is any indication.

Anything from Tiger onwards will still update fine, so if you have a 10.4.2 install CD set as I do, you can install Tiger on a G5 and then run the software update to get to 10.4.11. For Panther I have the updates on disk as I still have uses for Panther. I sometimes use Bryce 3D, and version 5.01 works better than the latest version (7.?) for some types of scene. However Bryce 5.01 won't work properly on anything later than Panther, because yes, it really is that old.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 am 

Well I went back to my backup from the end of last year, copied over the updated data I needed, then cloned the bootable backup onto my normal boot drive.

Funny thing happened after I was done and booted off that drive... the same update showed up. So connecting my tablet had nothing to do with the update appearing.

I set it to ignore the update.

Now I've just got to remember which certificates I imported to eliminate these SSL errors...