XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:19 am 

Finally the quad G5 is dead, so I am now using the memory-restricted dual G5 until I get a dual 2.3 or something.

I ran the thermal calibration on the quad after transferring all my software and work files to the dual G5. One of the processors failed thermal calibration on the first run and both failed on the second and third runs. More than three attempts is usually futile so I gave up on it. Very sad, that machine was great to use right up to the day it started overheating.

So I will be stalking a dual G5 that can use more than 4GB of RAM on eBay. Sadly they are fairly rare in the UK now and often fetch silly prices, so it may take a while. On the bright side I have found that using the dual G5 is fine for most tasks anyway, though of course rendering is much slower than the quad.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:04 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Was wondering how it was going, thanks for the report, & good luck finding another G5 Dual Core.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:59 am 

Ha ha!

Less than twenty minutes after mentioning how rare dual 2.3GHz G5 machines are on the UK eBay site I found one. My luck was in, it had less than an hour to go and nobody was bidding. It was collect in person only, but is in London so I can get a taxi to pick it up. I got it for a mere £20 :shock: which is way below the average for one of those in the UK. It isn't clear if it is a dual processor machine or a dual core, but either can take more than 4Gb of RAM which is the main reason I want it. If it is the dual processor model it will take 8GB and I have that much to put in it now, by taking memory out of the dual 2.0GHz machines I have. If it is the dual core machine I can take the memory out of the dead G5 quad so it will have at least 9.5Gb in it from the day I pick it up.

What a relief.

Transferring 1.5 million files to yet another machine will be tedious, but worth it. I will eventually put two 2TB hard drives in it instead of the 1.5TB drives I have been using previously.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:08 am 

You should be able to simply move your existing HDs to the new system. You should clear caches after booting the new system.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:45 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Wow, fantastic price & luck... what a relief! :(

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:10 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You should be able to simply move your existing HDs to the new system. You should clear caches after booting the new system.

Some of the software I have is locked during installation to the hardware configuration, with online activation required. It simply won't run if I transfer the hard disk and worse, it will report home and my registration ID may be marked as one that has made a piracy attempt. I really want to avoid that. I think it uses the machine serial number so that you can add RAM or a new hard drive, but moving the drive to a new machine and trying to use it will cause problems by design.

In addition it can be a bad idea to do that with the OS, even though it may seem fine for while. Some kernel extensions are hardware specific and there are multiple versions available. With printer drivers the installers just install them all, but with AppeFan.kext for example, the installer sets up the data tables used to control the fans for the specific hardware it finds at install time, and the tables should certainly not be the same for all G5 towers. The correct fan speeds for a single processor 1.6GHz G5 are very different for those used in a dual 2.3GHz machine, for example. I expect the optimum table for AppleFan.kext in the dual 2.0GHz I am using will be also need to be different in a dual 2.3GHz G5 for best performance and longevity of the system. I do know how to tweak that particular preset table for increased longevity of the processor, but I certainly don't touch most of the kernel extensions or their internal data. I have had enough trouble lately with dying G5 machines and I don't want to invite any more.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:01 pm 

Actually with PPCs the installs are universal, it loads the kexts it needs at startup and doesn't load the ones it doesn't need, and every table for every hardware version that's supported by the kext is present in all installed versions. The first boot on new hardware will be slower than normal because the cache is incorrect so it'll have to crawl the hardware to figure out what kexts to load, which you can kind of sidestep by clearing caches so it doesn't even try and simply creates a fresh cache. Intels work the same way too, except for the OS new hardware ships with - that's always a unique build, although the next minor release (e.g. 10.4.5 to 10.4.6) will propagate those changes across all systems. This is why you can change from one OS-supported video card to another without a complete reinstall or installing new video card drivers. The drivers are already in the OS and it loads them as they're needed. For non-OS supported cards you need additional drivers but that's neither here nor there for this comparison.

Changing the fan kext is actually pretty easy, it contains a text file containing what speed fans should run at based on temperature. I made a copy of mine on the desktop, modified it, backed up the entire kext, then replaced the file, chown/chmod to correct values, then rebooted. My fans spool up a lot earlier now. I consider it my way of flipping the bird at whoever made the decision to keep them running too slow for long term reliability.

But you gotta love overly intrusive DRM rearing its ugly head. I guess you can't even risk running the migration wizard to move data without some part of it getting angry.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:33 am 

I don't mind this kind of DRM, given the price and value of the software it is reasonable for companies to protect their property. Orchestral sample libraries are often sought by people who don't want to pay for them so they are a particular target. The DRM type used is not intrusive, it allows me to back it up, upgrade the hard disk, upgrade the RAM, and even to repair a machine, but it doesn't like to be copied to a new machine. The install DVDs allow up to ten installs before you have to contact the software company to explain why you need more. My sample libraries have been installed only once so I can put them on the Dual 2.3 without worry.

One library was £150, the other £90. Most of the purchased software I have was less than the more expensive of those and a fair bit of it was less than the cheaper sample library. I paid £25 for my Photoshop CS2 install CD, less than $40 for my word processor.