XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:36 am 

Hi Everyone!
So I have a PowerMac G5 Quad I would like to install really any PPC64 linux on it since I have 16Gbs of ram installed. I was able to install Kubuntu 12.04 (PPC32) and upgrade it to 16.04 that worked no problem other then having no sound. I downloaded Debian 8.7.1 PPC64 from their site burned it to a DVD and when I ALT boot the DVD does not show up as a boot option. I'm new to using linux so I might be doing a stupid mistake. I did burn another DVD but it also did not boot that as well. I tired to boot the DVD on an other G5 Quad I have and that one did not see it as well posting.php?mode=post&f=8&sid=4673aba48efa15a9286332d68ff678fc#

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Welcome aboard Papaginos ! :welcome:

Just wondering, was it the Livce D or other?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:17 pm 

Not sure to be honest. but now that I go back and check their website I might of downloaded the incorrect file. Since the ISO is only 200Mb and my Kubuntu installer was 731Mb.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:15 pm 

PapaG & BDAq:

I have been using linux on PPC for awhile . . . but, I haven't looked at Debian for a few years; one possible answer is that the latest news for PPC users is that Debian, upon which a lot of distros are based has now **dropped** support for PPC. One confirmation of that would be the fact that using the ALT key shows . . . nothing??? Again, I don't know if Deb 8 is the latest version, which wouldn't offer the PPC iso, so it means you have to check that out, i.e., is there a separate "PPC" download, if not, then roll back to Deb 7, which I believe I recall people talking about that on PPC related threads.

Other question which may or may not apply, did you check the "shasum" or sha256 . . . in other words did the checksum number of the file that you downloaded match what they show for the "PPC iso"?? That didn't matter so much in the old days, but in the last couple of years if they don't match there are usually "problems" for some aspect of the iso or install . . . .

You can check out what the folks who have G5's are running by reading through the Ubuntu "Apple hardware User" sub-forum, as there are special knowledges that go along with running linux on a G5; since I have G4 I'm not up on all of the things that crop up on installing on a G5.

Historically 12.04 was the "high-water" mark for linux on PPC, but now it is a bit dated . . . on my G4 Powermac 3,1?? I think it is, and the distro that ***was*** touting support for PPC and overall a nice system and interface is Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 for PPC . . . on the Ubuntu front 16.04 will be the last distro that will be LTS for PPC. On a thread I posted on the Ubuntu-MATE forum recently discussing how the devs recommend to upgrade MATE DE from 1.14 to 1.16 . . . which instead trashed my PPC install of MATE altogether, one of the mods provided a list of other potential distros that would still support PPC. The only one out of four that actually does is "Fedora" . . . and on their info page they state that they only support "PPC64" . . . which I believe would be what your G5 is?? My G4's are 32 bit . . . . <snif> Sayonara Linux on PPC.

Any other questions, happy to entertain . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:44 pm 

Thats a good point on the checksum number it most likely didn't match up. I originally downloaded it through Safari on a MacBook Pro 8,3 (which was thrown out at work 4 years ago due to water damage and It magically started working last week). They offer to download it through BitTorrent which I'm gonna try when I'm at work since I only have 3Mb down at home.

Heres a link to their download for it. It shows all the versions you can run it on. It looks like they even support Intel Itanium. I downloaded their PPC64el originally however, this time when I opened the magnet link with BitTorrent it said the download was 4.3Gbs for the DVD and 645MB for the CD.
https://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

Funny how you mention the G4, My G4 MDD's PSU just quit on me recently.

Crazy how many linux distros there are I'll defiantly look into others to see if they support PPC64. my only experience with any distro is ubuntu and mint which I throw on older Dells from work that get tossed which I sell XD.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:17 pm 

PapaG:

Cool. Well, if the checksums don't match, then try another mirror, or try again until you get a file number that matches. So, from the BitTorrent link it does show "ppc" options . . . of course to use BitTorrent method it is **helpful** to have a linux install that has "Transmission" or some other bittorrent application?? Otherwise just use the "http" options . . . other thing to consider is to try the 32bit isos . . . which will run on 64bit machines, and, unless you are doing something 3D, would probably be more or less a similar GUI experience . . . .

Main thing I've learned in linux, that, indeed, if one option or distro "isn't working" . . . like in my case the KDE options just never worked well on PPC or on my MBPro . . . then just shop on until you find the system that does work well. And, for stone ax reliability, XFCE provides the best GUI with the least size package, or LXDE lightest package to provide a good working DE . . . which you can probably choose as your DE's from an intermediate installers.

But, for a G5 I'd again say to try the Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 for PPC . . . the download is I believe under 2GB or possibly closer to 1.3 GB?? (memory). I don't know why the Debian DVD is 4 GB, which I also have a 2 MB connection; recently I installed an OpenSUSE LEAP 42.2 install on my '12 Mac Pro . . . and that wasn't a "live" DVD, but was over 4GB . . . out of which it seemed to pick packages to install and some from online. On the other hand the Gecko MATE system live/installer was a tad over 1 GB and provides a really nice OS . . . .

On the Debian front the 645 MB CD is I believe the "intermediate installer" which contains files to install a working system, but not enough for a "live" session . . . so you have to install it to test it out . . . . Personally the Debian systems have lately been more "server" based and the GUI is a tad "plain jane" . . . the other options provide a better fleshed out GUI system. Debian harks back to the days when linux people were totally "purist" and really didn't want a GUI at all . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:13 pm 

Sounds good, I'll be sure to try out a few of the other options.

Ill try out Ubuntu 16.04 first on it and probably not bother with Debian, I just liked it at first since I saw that it had the "dock" so I was thinking it would be closer to how OS X is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:40 pm 

My only concern is that Debian supports a little-endian PPC64 build which they refer to as ppc64le. Only POWER8 systems are supported by it. This would explain why your system doesn't recognize the bootable media.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:12 pm 

MonkeyBoy,
Yeah you where right on it not recognizing the disk. good thing I burned it on a RW.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 am 

@PapaG & MB:

After I posted I then looked at your link to Debian 8 and saw that that was "Jessie" which I did recall seeing other PPC guys on the Apple User forum talking about having installed . . . which, as MB mentions they do "support" PPC . . . . I later woke up in the middle of the night due to some somnolent vocalizations of the better half . . . with some other thoughts, but seems like MB addressed then with the "Power8" insights . . . tried to post back, but the forum was "SQL" yesterday . . . . : - )

But, yep, try the 16.04 options . . . as far as "the dock" goes there are a fair number of them available, "cairo-dock" seems to be one of the more popular choices, which you can install via apt, or using synaptic package manager. I have installed it in a few of my distros, but over time found that sometimes there were "issues" with video, and I generally don't do enough to warrant the extra app. The MATE toolbar shows enough that more or less the dock isn't needed. However, if you like a "dock" then XFCE offers a dock-like toolbar, Xubuntu no longer supports PPC, but you could get the plain jane mini installer for Ubuntu 16.04 (PPC) and then select XFCE as one of the DEs and you will have a nice GUI . . . with "a dock." That is essentially what I have now on my PowerMac, except it was a base Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 install, to which I added the XFCE DE, and now it is just the XFCE GUI . . . with a small dock. You can add "launchers" or applets, whatever they call them to the base toolbar . . . one of the nice things about linux is it is highly "modifiable" . . . if you don't like something you can probably change it.

e..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Amazing knowledge eep, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Amazing knowledge eep, thanks! :)

Thanks bud . . . my pleasure to share what I've learned "the hard way" over the last 5 - 7 years of fiddling around with dual/triple/quadruple/and even quintuple-boot systems . . . on both PPC & Intel Macs; i.e., keeping OSX of a couple iterations on the machine, with some partitions for various linux options . . . . I still do the front-line work in OSX, more familiar . . . stable . . . but use the linux side for "fun and frolic" . . . right now I'm in the OpenSUSE LEAP 42.2 GNOME Classic session on my MacPro . . . not radically different than the Gecko MATE partition on the same computer . . . . :fishsmack:

There is a lot of details to keep track of when trying to address this kind of post . . . like MB knowing about the "ppc64el" option being just for Power 8, which I hadn't even heard of that being an option until I recently visited the Fedora site--I just knew G4 & G5 . . . never even heard of G6 & G7 . . . you?? :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek:

e..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:17 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

The G5 was a cheap take of one of the Power chips IBM made, Apple had them bolt on a 256 bit Altivec engine. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:51 pm 

IBM is still working on POWER, the latest version is the POWER9 which is apparently the basis of two supercomputer clusters that are due to come online this year. They even open sourced the POWER8 ("OpenPOWER") so they could get a piece of that sweet, sweet Google money.

But POWER with Altivec is dead, since Altivec is Motorola technology, and Motorola is, well, dead. Technically it lived on in Freescale, but even Freescale is dead - its smoldering remains were scooped up by NXP Semiconductor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:24 pm 

este.el.paz

Thanks for the info, I'll defiantly try Ubuntu MATE and see how that goes. :lol: