XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:42 pm 

I think I'd prefer a virtual busta rhymes.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 pm 

Alrighty . . . Finder did get me to "the log" folder . . . so I copied all 773 MB over to the OSX 10.12 desktop . . . and then I looked at the "system.log" . . . certainly I'm not an expert at reading these files, but simply . . . my post reporting the "death" of the PM was on March 26th . . . but the date listed in the log was "Jan 31" . . . . Looking at another file, the "system.log.0.bz2" in the console showed the date of "Feb 3."

As much of the time I was using U-MATE 16.04 PPC, I rebooted the Mac Pro into its version of of U-MATE 16.04 amd64 and much easier to find the "var" folder, the "syslog" shows activity on "March 25th" . . . much closer to the DoD (date of death) . . . but no "errors" or "warnings" showed up, nothing seemed to be "out of the ordinary" . . . . Also in that directory was a "crash" directory . . . which, when opened was "empty." I tried to look at the Xorg.0.log . . . and that looked relatively routine . . . and the "desmg" file also listed something like "nothing listed yet" . . . perhaps referring to the fact that the system wasn't booted??

I emailed the linux "syslog" and the "Xorg.0.log" as tar.gz files . . . and perhaps any of the files in the "log" on the OSX side are available . . . for some reason those aren't showing anything on the "boot" . . . since March 25 . . . but, none of the recent attempts to fire it up seem to have registered . . . . Perhaps there isn't anything showing as it didn't get out of mobo???

e,e,.p.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:02 pm 

When looking at file timestamps, it's important to remember that the timestamp is generated using the time & date of the system writing to the file. If the clock on that system is off or goes a little screwy, then the timestamp on the file(s) will be off or a little screwy.

One of the big things I loved about my 9600 was that I modded the power light into a HD activity light. Without an activity light it is very difficult to figure out if the system ever booted far enough to even start looking for a HD, much less start booting off it. Ever since then I've missed not having an activity light.

If I had to guess I'd say your system never got past power on self test after it died.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:31 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:

If I had to guess I'd say your system never got past power on self test after it died.

But, it seems like the "death" was not recorded or mentioned . . . in the Ubuntu-MATE system that was running at the time of said "death" . . . no "system is going down" . . . no "heeeelllllpppppp meeeee Davvvvveeeee" . . . .

Then, after "death" . . . yep, seems like it never got passed the "power on self test" after that . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:26 pm 

Well, the lack of any significant logging can be ascribed to two things. Either the system froze solid with whatever the root failure is, or the errors were written to RAM but then never flushed to disk because the OS crashed before the OS flushed RAM to disk.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:12 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well, the lack of any significant logging can be ascribed to two things. Either the system froze solid with whatever the root failure is, or the errors were written to RAM but then never flushed to disk because the OS crashed before the OS flushed RAM to disk.

Such is life. Conceivably I could go back in to the other U-MATE syslogs.old . . . of which there are a fair number of them . . . and see if I can read through them for any previous incidents that might point to some problem, etc. I just looked at the most recent "syslog" which was from the day of the "terminal episode."

Otherwise, I might be looking around for a PPC unit that I can plug this HD into. . . a couple of other things to actually test out, as per your suggestion(s) . . . taking the parts out . . . . But, seems like, in all likelihood, roadkill zombie apocalypse . . . for the PM . . . .

e.e.p.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8