XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:24 pm 

Gotcha . . . well, ordinarily I don't use the computer (home desktop) that much, although work has been shrinking so more time to sit in front of the display . . . check emails in the morning, post something on XYMer's . . . check the FB "news" feed . . . ummm, . . . now what???? . . . try to fix something that's busted in linux side . . . ?????

So, the several "weeks" worth of dnetc would possibly be happening over several months . . . and, now that I've "forced" the cpu to 1 GHz things are more or less "happening" in a reasonable time as far as clicking on something and having it actually happen . . . whereas at 450 and even 800 . . . just not enough "brainpower" to do the job . . . .

On the placid GUI surface things have been . . . placid . . . it's only under the dark underbelly of applejack that it hasn't looked so good, if not downright weird . . . so I just meant that I'd wait to run AJ for awhile . . . running dnetc for a bit . . . and then see if that changes any of the AJ wackiness . . . but, perhaps rather than expecting it to be "hours" I should revise that to "weeks." :fishsmack:

e...

[Edit: Tested the "click on the dnetc file" method . . . guess I can't complain about how easy that was . . . . Also, used the drag the file to the Terminal to add "--flush" . . . so some 12 more stats go off to the motherlode . . . tomorrow I'll click "please send me my password, plz" . . . one more time . . . .]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:55 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Still have questions?

http://www.distributed.net/Docshttp://w ... d.net/Docs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:52 pm 

BDAqua wrote:

So many questions . . . and no "answers" to be found . . . I guess you have to have a ****password**** to log into that page??

Quote:
There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.
:confused:

e...

PS: No worries . . . I'm just using dnetc to exercise the cpu . . . not to to do "brute force computing" or whatever they claim is happening . . . . :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:25 am 

I thinks BD's link got transmogrified somehow.

http://www.distributed.net/Docs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:02 am 

That did get me to a page with data, and the link to the "help" web form . . . so I sent another request for "help" . . . it says "someone will get back to you in a few ***days****" . . . . Holding my breath . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 pm 

Latest update . . . moved up my timeline since it's thinking about raining in LA . . . and bounced the cpu to 1.2 GHz . . . did the PRAM . . . and we booted into OSX . . . possibly Yaboot is "disconnected" again . . . .

So, back into dnetc . . . taking it by storm . . . the last few days running 1 GHz I was noticing that dnetc was showing "10.48 Mkeys/sec" . . . but, now in 1.2 GHz it just showed "12.56 MKeys/sec" . . . is that relating to the cpu speed? So, the faster the cpu is set the more MKeys it can do??? Seems logical . . . .

But, getting back to the long range plan . . . the OO/seller said that "1.4 GHz ran the best on my ST" . . . I'm basically just trying to get the computer to work with reasonable speed . . . click on something . . . and it gets done fairly soon . . . the 1 GHz was just on the borderline of reasonable function . . . it more or less got things in a browser done. I was thinking that getting it to 1.4 would be the "goal" . . . but BDAq had mentioned that running at 1 GHz could possibly get it to "last forever" . . . . I'm into getting stuff to last forever, but, then, it also has to be worth using forever . . . not taking forever to get a simple task done, etc.

I'll see how things go here at 1.2 GHz . . . if it seems like it's tolerable, maybe I'll keep it here . . . obviously not too difficult to roll back to 1 GHz . . . but, never enough speed . . . these days 1.4 is "slow" . . . . Looks like there is a "recommended" slot for 1.3 GHz . . . just looking for the "sweet spot" . . . split the dif on longevity and function on today's web. etc . . . .

e....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Not the actual CPU speed, but close on a G4 as Altivec correlates closely.

(1.0 Forever+1.4 Useful)/2= 1.2

Most importantly though, is to have the sparks running inside the wires. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:46 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Not the actual CPU speed, but close on a G4 as Altivec correlates closely.

(1.0 Forever+1.4 Useful)/2= 1.2

Most importantly though, is to have the sparks running inside the wires. :)

Thanks . . . yeah, so far 1.2 seems "OK" . . . I'm running dnetc and able to type this post without the spinning beachball showing up . . . . And, so far, no 'lectrical smell in the room . . . so possibly the sparks are staying in their runners . . . more and more . . . .

Looks like if you run 24 packets dnetc auto-flushes them . . . so, might be an hour away from that; then taking advantage of Yaboot once again being disconnected, might be able to get to single user and run applejack . . . see if it can get through the whole list . . . completely . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It auto fetches/flushes when it runs out of units.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:15 am 

BDAqua wrote:
It auto fetches/flushes when it runs out of units.

It seems like for "buff-in" or "buff-out" that is "24 packets" . . . but there are some other folders that don't seem to be getting any time . . . anyway I got into the 298 range . . . looks like the competition is going exponential the higher or lower up the ladder I go, I'm in the hundreds, the top of the page #200 is "10K" packets . . . from awhile back . . . .

Latest update on the cpu; so running PRAM after moving the jumpers to 1.2 seems to have "broken" Yaboot's hold on the boot sequence, so I was able to run Applejack . . . and other than bogging in Permission Repair function, where it seemed to find that same "UniNet" error, for like 10 lines . . . and then finding a permission that needed "repair" but following lines didn't seem to show how it was changed . . . it states that "permission repair was completed" . . . and then it did move on to the cache and something else . . . actually completing the 5 tasks.

So, that is/was an improvement over the last time I ran it, when it was at 800 I believe, and AJ couldn't get through the whole process . . . and it found all kinds of wackiness . . . so, I'll probably run dnetc for a few hours at a time coming up, give the cpu some more work-out . . . and keep testing on the AJ front . . . until it seems to run through as normal as possible . . . then, maybe I'll throw in my towel . . . and try for an Alpha U-MATE 16.04 LTS install . . . should get me down the road at 1.2 GHz just fine.

e...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:27 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Sounds like progress on the stability issue. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:29 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Sounds like progress on the stability issue. :)

Yep, things seem more stable . . . enough so that I thought I'd run "do-release-upgrade" on the Xubuntu 12.04 side of things, to bump the system up to 14.04 . . . and yet maintain all prefs and bookmarks . . . and such. Apt said "693 packages need to be downloaded" . . . over an hour later and at 1613 packages . . . the install/update began . . . two hours after that . . . it was "over" . . . . Rebooting brought the "Xubuntu 14.04" splash . . . and then into the black we went . . . tried to "fix packages" . . . and a few other things . . . but it looked like an hour into the install there was an error window that said, "That means your install is probably broken" . . . but it kept running . . . repeating that error several times . . . . Finally shut it down last night.

This AM I tried to see if I could install another DE, if that would snap it out of the black . . . tried "gnome" . . . 1.5 hours later . . . nope . . . on reboot there was something about "couldn't find freedesktop" . . . possibly there was some damage to the system from the cpu when it was throwing sparks all over the place, or possibly another window manager I had installed was not relinquishing control . . . . Anyway, a man should know his limitations . . . I decided to go for the nuke/pave . . . .

About an hour after starting the fresh install of Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 Alpha1 . . . we rebooted back into a "good" resolution desktop!!!! No boot params . . . . Getting a few of the regular sites, like this one, bookmarked in FF . . . and installed synaptic to find "dnetc" . . . which "wasn't found" . . . looks like in 16.04 it's called by its full name "distributed.net" . . . and, we're crunching some stats . . . over in linux, just to help train the sparks on this side of the partition . . . . : - ))

e..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:13 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:D

The sparks need to travel the correct paths far longer than you're allowing them to! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:40 am 

BDAqua wrote:
:D

The sparks need to travel the correct paths far longer than you're allowing them to! ;)

Well, sure, I've always been a tad impatient about stuff . . . but, it's about "cost/benefit" ratio . . . those sparks cost me money, so a couple hours to kick out 24 packets for the day's work . . . . Then, the essentially 3 hours processor time to "install" the broken system . . . and yesterday's 1+ and then 1.5+- for what seems to be 23 stats on the linux side . . . . Tapping away at it . . . one day at a time. Little by little the sparks are becoming more "understanding." : - ))))

e.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:35 pm 

Back on the cpu front . . . letting the machine run dnetc for most of the day . . . and sitting here, watching the stats numbers fill the terminal screen . . . a semi-idle question came to mind thinking back to MBs suggestion that my "new" cpu "was possibly an overclocked 1.25 GHz processor, that had been run too hard . . ." something like that, back when the cpu was chopping OSs up for lunch and it all looked bleak . . . . Seems like maybe the cpu has settled down, and running at 1.2 GHz for the "sweet spot" between a little slower 1 GHz and the original owner saying "1.4" was best on his ST . . . .

Is there any way to tell what the "native" speed for the cpu actually is? Looking at the speed chart, there are "recommended" speeds of 1.2 GHz and then 1.3 GHz, but, in between those two is 1.25 GHz . . . and that is the only speed (in that speed range zone) where all 5 of the jumpers are "jumped" . . . I don't have 5 jumpers right now, but, would that be a "sign" that 1.25 GHz is the natal speed, the speed that is not "over" or "under-clocked"????

e...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think the only way to tell what the real speed is/was is to check the numbers on the CPU itself, but indeed, most 1.4GHz upgrades were 1.25GHz rated chips with hundreds of dollars difference in the wholesale price of a measly 1000 units between 1.25s & 1.42s.

You never know a 12.5 multiplier may work better than a 12, 13, or 14 multiplier. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:00 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I think the only way to tell what the real speed is/was is to check the numbers on the CPU itself, but indeed, most 1.4GHz upgrades were 1.25GHz rated chips with hundreds of dollars difference in the wholesale price of a measly 1000 units between 1.25s & 1.42s.

You never know a 12.5 multiplier may work better than a 12, 13, or 14 multiplier. :)

Well, maybe I'll get there; it looks like the 12.5 and the 13.5 are "not recommended for Final Cut Pro" . . . as it seems like the "reported speeds" chart shows 12.5 as "0 MHz" . . . . I'm not going to do FCP . . . but, I guess it might be a problem if the system thinks it has "0 MHz"???? Or, not too important, if it actually is running its native speed?

Like I said, don't have a 5th jumper, but . . . if I got one . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

For most things it won't matter, FCP checks that to see how many things it can do at once, and/or anally to see if it's going to run at all

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm 

Some versions of iMovie checks the CPU speed and will refuse to run if it's under a certain amount.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:45 pm 

Thanks for the replies . . . no plans to run FCP . . . and, so far haven't really done much with iMovie . . . if anything; even on my MBPro . . . . I would just be looking for what would be "native" speed on the cpu . . . cost/benefit ratio of energy used for heat produced, or, less heat for mostest speed . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd say 1.2GHz, 20% faster than 1GHz, where 1.3GHz is only 8& faster than 1.2GHz & is less heat/electricity & longer life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:14 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I'd say 1.2GHz, 20% faster than 1GHz, where 1.3GHz is only 8& faster than 1.2GHz & is less heat/electricity & longer life.

BD:

Sorry, not totally clear what your advice is, the "8&" threw me off. Are you saying stick with 1.2, or, rather than messing with 1.25, sliding it up to next recommended slot of 1.3 is what would use "less heat & longer life" . . . than ?? [1.4 or higher]???

e...

[Edit: Got it, yr saying stick with 1.2 as best bang for buck . . . cool.]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:31 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yep. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9