XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmmm, could the Internal drive be having problems?

I have no trouble with 10.5.8

Are we sure it's not a heat issue still?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:46 pm 

Drive is "new" from whenever we went through all that before earlier this year??? . . . nothing seems to be "consistent" or "repeatable" to make sense of it . . . . Was thinking possibly FW port, since the "cloning" seems to have some effect . . . and that might be traceable in terms of the history of fresh disasters after the new cpu??? But AHT says OK . . . . : - )))

Heat? Possible, but, not really running it too hard, no dnetc over here in OSX, yet . . . .

It's somewhat "amusing" to have OSX be so "unstable" . . . "untrustworthy" . . . . I'll look at it again tomorrow or so . . . .

Thanks for the volley . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Rather than suspect the FW port, I'd suspect the FW cable or such... was it err# -36?

Do you know what chipset is in the FW drive?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:29 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Rather than suspect the FW port, I'd suspect the FW cable or such... was it err# -36?

Do you know what chipset is in the FW drive?

OK, FW cable . . . could be . . . but, no on the error # -36 . . . although on the "diskarbitration" there was a string of numbers, mostly 4 digit. I'd have to check the ext HD chipset; but, for yesterday's fresh disaster AJ was working with the internal HD volume . . . so, that is the question, would the attempt to clone with CCC "back-flush" . . . or do damage on the "source" or mostly on the "destination"??

Main thing is that, as of right now I'm typing this in 10.5 and . . . it's functioning; but, when I launch applejack . . . it looks really messy . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:18 am 
Benevolent Dictator

diskarbitration handles mounting of inserted Disks/Discs, so if we could find out which one is unmounting, (I presume), we'd have a clue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:07 am 

BDAqua wrote:
diskarbitration handles mounting of inserted Disks/Discs, so if we could find out which one is unmounting, (I presume), we'd have a clue.

Hmmmmmm, so perhaps that doesn't even "make sense" . . . no disks/discs inserted . . . FW was plugged into ext HD, but ext HD was "off" at the time of running applejack . . . ????? Any chance that the AJ is "messed up"??? and is just making up stuff, finding problems where there should be none??? : - )))) Recent install, . . . Archive manager seemed OK with it on mount/install. The "mystery" deepens . . . deeper . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:28 am 
Benevolent Dictator

It's either making more or less sense! :P

Might try it with the FW cable not plugged in.

I doubt AJ is reporting nonsense, though OSX may be!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:11 pm 

Well . . . "nonsense" is my middle name . . . . So, just to start the new year off right, I ran AJ 4 times . . . 2 w/o the FW plugged in and 2 with it plugged in--didn't seem to make a difference, but then I can't tell . . . based on the variation in errors and weirdness each time it ran . . . I used "AUTO" restart.

Each time the disk repair found some problem, 1st time "invalid extent entry 4, 25279" . . . "volume check failed" . . . then on new line in caps and lines . . . or asterisks *****FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED*****

"Success!!!! Disk has been repaired" . . . However, this same sequence, more or less, repeated each of the 4 times . . . .

Then, moving to the "repair permissions" is where it seems to really get wacky . . . reporting issues in the "launch services" lines that show up before it starts repairing permissions . . . there was a "kextd133 error--bootstrap check--unknown service name" . . . and then something on the "UniEnet: restart receiver" . . . ??? [I jotted some stuff down, and at one point I took some shots with an iPod T.] But, I think the first time the process went through to the restart, because I got called away from the computer, and when I came back the log in window was waiting.

2nd time . . . same thing on disk repair with slight variation: "keys out of order" . . . and same, "it failed; but, success!!!" But, this time back to the "diskarbitration: could not create Sys Config Notification port" . . . and AJ can't "pull out" of this situation, as the lines repeat and stack up on the screen . . . I ctrl-C'd out of it, and lines turn purple and keep running, so I typed "r" . . . and AJ skipped the "cache" part and restarted . . . on reboot, the grey action wheel spun for over 3 or 4 mins before the log in screen showed up.

3rd time . . . now with FW plugged in . . . same deal as #2, except this time before the permissions there was something like "launchd: bind ("thesocket"):m" . . . same stack up on the "diskarbitration" line. Restarted right back into single user:

4th time . . . again, same "failure, but success" . . . this time the Repair Permissions line just showed dots . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and that went on and on, so I walked away from it, to see if it would "resolve" the issue . . . 45 mns later . . . . dots still going . . . so, again, I ctrl-c'd && "r'd" out of it. And on restart this time 5 mins later the spinning action wheel was still spinning . . . I shut it down. A couple hours later I restarted, and took a few minutes, but OSX did boot . . . and, now I'm typing the report about it . . . . :snail:

So, AJ doesn't seem to be able to repair whatever is the problem . . . and, keeps "finding it and, um obsessing over it, and failing again to repair it . . ." . . . and, again, back on the GUI surface things seem "OK" . . . Mail launched w/o a problem, etc.

Didn't have the chance to try to boot the clone again via FW . . . to see if the clone finds that "Macint0 was not repairable, but we are showing it to you for your edification" . . . doesn't seem like anything got "fixed" by AJ . . . .

On the other side, I tried to run "rescue" from a Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 DVD, but, nothing worked on it . . . which isn't "new" . . . I had forgotten how bad the last daily was, and thought "it's newer, maybe it's 'better' for rescue" . . . no dice. I guess next step will be to try to get dnetc installed in 10.5 . . . it was pretty easy to do in linux . . . I'm figuring that I'm not out of the woods on getting this cpu "formatted" to life in the slow lane . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Is the RAM PC133 compatible?

So far it's pointing to a RAM or Bus problem, which OSX is most particular of.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Is the RAM PC133 compatible?

So far it's pointing to a RAM or Bus problem, which OSX is most particular of.

Yep, RAM is PC133 compatible. Bus problem? Does that mean mobo issues??? Would the new cpu be contributing to this wacky behavior???

I was thinking last night after I posted that some of the Software Updates did not go through completely . . . possibly the Security Update . . . and Java . . . the Updater showed "partially downloaded" and I tried it a couple times . . . . I posted about it awhile back when I did the 10.5 install . . . .

Anyway, typing in OSX as I speak . . . TFF crashed 3x this am, before I moved to See Monkey; maybe later today I'll do the nuke n pave on the linux side . . . Yaboot doesn't seem to want to get re-installed.

e..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:10 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Bus problem? Does that mean mobo issues??? Would the new cpu be contributing to this wacky behavior???

Yes, I believe in some way the electrical characteristics of the new CPU are the cause, (last time I read, your 450 did fine, just slow), sparks traveling outside the wires so to speak.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:10 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
Bus problem? Does that mean mobo issues??? Would the new cpu be contributing to this wacky behavior???

Yes, I believe in some way the electrical characteristics of the new CPU are the cause, (last time I read, your 450 did fine, just slow), sparks traveling outside the wires so to speak.

Cool; that would be preferable to a blown mobo . . . perhaps eventually the "free-radical" sparks will calm down and travel in the normal circuitry . . . ???

After my prev post SM "bogged" on opening Yahoo emails, so I tried TFF and it launched w/o issue . . . so back to more or less business as usual . . . for now. :classic-eek:

e...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

That's what were hoping for, but I think we need a long steady stretch of no crashing for that to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:56 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Pretty easy, once downloaded you drag the dnetc file to the Terminal & hit return/enter, it'll come up with command line prefs, username etc..
You can also kill it by quitting Terminal.

It has Docs ion it also.

So, I figured out which "dnetc" file you were referring to, by trying all the others in the Terminal . . . got my email entered and got the work priority switched to "RC5-72" . . . but . . . how to start the engine? In linux all I had to do was type "dnetc" and hit return and faster than you could say, "Oingo-Boingo" dnetc was "crunching" . . . .

Haven't done much in OSX Terminal, I typed "dnetc" and it said "permission denied" . . . "man dnetc" brought, "no manual installed" . . . ???? "sudo dnetc"?????? wasn't sure if I should do that or "su" ???? Tried "start dnetc" and "dnetc launch" . . . nothing doing . . . .

e...

PS: Still no "password" from these guys . . . weeks later . . . ????? : - 0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Open Terminal & from a Finder window drag & drop this file, your path maybe different...

Anyway, it's dnetc file...

/Users/YourUserName/Documents/dnetc520-macosx-ppc copy/dnetc

Press enter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:26 pm 

Got that part; I was asking how to make it "go" after getting the preferences set up??? Each time I have to drag the "dnetc" file to terminal, or I can use some commands??? in Terminal???? What are the magic words to get it to giddy-up??? From the Terminal prompt . . . .

[Edit: Found this link http://www.dslreports.com/faq/3083 which says I should have typed "cd" + space and then drag the dnetc file into terminal and hit return . . . and then to fire it, type "./dnetc" . . . so far typing ./dnetc is not working. Does that mean dnetc isn't installed??]

Last edited by este.el.paz on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

It's not running in Silent mode is it?

Dragging the dnetc file & pressing enter should run it, at least once settings are done.

In Terminal you can choose Save As >Execute this command & paste in that line there & that should be just a double click to start it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:51 pm 

Didja see my edit?? Seems we posted about same time . . . I'd rather have some thing to type out rather than saving something in the Terminal???? Also, lools like I haven't set up "su" or sudo . . . which I've never had to do in OSX in any of them . . . .

[Edit: So, I did drag the file again and it did start crunching, and seems to have moved the linux stuff over . . . same email addy. Like I was wondering, could I type "cd" space and then drag the file . . . and then just use "./dnetc" to fire it up??]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Shouldn't need the cd part, when you drag the file does the whole path show up in Terminal, or just the dnetc part?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:27 pm 

I believe it's the whole path. I still have the folder in the Downloads folder . . . but it looks like what you typed out above, with the "ppc" . . . . So, just checking out what you suggested about "save as" . . . that must be ***before*** I hit return?? Because as we are crunching along here now, I tried to find "save as" and it ain't showin' . . . .

Still though, if I could just manually type "./dnetc" whenever I want to run it . . . that would be cool . . . although, considering I'm more or less a bench-warmer with the olde 1GHz . . . dragging the file isn't that difficult . . . shrug . . . wheeze . . . .

Any ***harm*** in trying this "cd" before drag/drop?? Like I'm saying, it isn't giving me "su" or "sudo" powers at this point, so I guess I can't screw things up too badly???? Or, I could???

e...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:43 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Weird, in 10.5.8 no Save as!?

Actually, just double clicking on the dnetc file should open Terminal & insert it & run it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:01 pm 

No . . . not while "crunching" anyway . . . only "paste" . . . . I don't see any "save" in grey either . . . . I'm just running dnetc until I have to shut the unit down . . . .

But, also, OK, 2x click on the file . . . got it.

e...

[Edit: I ***think*** I've got it on the instructions that I linked . . . it's all about ***reading**** the instructions . . . .

Quote:
2) Using the Terminal application, navigate to the folder where you unstuffed the client by typing 'cd ' (with trailing space), then dragging the folder into the terminal window. Hit return.
3) Run the client by typing ./dnetc (the first time you run it) if you need to change any configuration items later on the enter ./dnetc -config (this will then tell you that you need to enter an ID. The ID it is looking for is your email account.)

So, I dragged the unstuffed folder into the Terminal . . . then hit return . . . and, then typed "./dnetc" and I'm back "crunching" . . . so, either way . . . lots of ways of doing it. I'll see if it will just fire up next time with the command.

PS: Checked again on the "save as" and even with the dnetc file dropped, before return . . . nope . . . .]

[Edit2: Looks like the "./dnetc" command has to be done with the folder drop, or the file drop . . . it doesn't "remember" it.]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:29 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Look in Activity Monitor % see ifyou have more than one instance of dnetc runnung.. which will destroyunits crunched in the other one.

No idea why those instructions complicate things, a simple double click on the dnetc unix "file" should run it, the path will be entered by itself. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:19 am 

OK . . . I had Activity Monitor running yesterday while crunching . . . cpu showed "100%" . . . then I ctrl-c'd out of it and it showed 15% +- . . . I don't think there are "overlaps" . . . 1 GHz these days isn't enough to run Lep and dnetc . . . but, I'll check later.

On the instructions . . . no worries . . . I was just looking for my linux version of firing dnetc from Terminal command, simply typing "dnetc" and return . . . rather than opening the folder, and 2x-clicking on the dnetc TV screen . . . not radically different . . . but, in this case I think linux is "easier." I just ran "sudo apt-get install dnetc" . . . that did the install, and to start it, open Terminal and "dnetc" . . . off and running . . . .

Anyway, ran it for a couple hours yesterday . . . I'll do that a few more times and then test out applejack again and see if the wackiness is "reduced."

e...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:07 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Okey Dokey, but I think for dnetc to help needs a week or so. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next