XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I don't know if it'll work on a Sawtooth or not, but it's the earliest G4 AHT I could find.

Will PM you later...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:16 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I don't know if it'll work on a Sawtooth or not, but it's the earliest G4 AHT I could find.

Will PM you later...

Cool . . . no worries either way, if it works, maybe it'll point something out . . . if it doesn't . . . I'll just continue to endeavor to persevere . . . . Main thing is that it once it reboots a few times . . . it is working, and it is "faster" mousing around than with the 450 MHz . . . so, "I'm happy" . . . . It would be nicer to have OSX and "sleep" function . . . but, um "One day at a time, eh?" . . . .

e

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:41 am 
Benevolent Dictator

:D Eh?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:10 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
:D Eh?

So, in the frenzy of trying to get a new thermostat installed for the house going so we would have heat . . . (mission failed) . . . I was able to burn the AHT file to a CD via my iBook . . . and after two attempts booted up in 9 . . . and ran the various hardware tests . . . which, all "passed." So, should be that hardware side is OK . . . couldn't check the software . . . nothing installed "softly" to check . . . .

Didn't do a "long" RAM test . . . but RAM is new . . . should be that the machine is "OK" . . . according to the AHT test . . . which seemed to be semi-serious in its intent . . . OS9 stuff was still fairly serious . . . .

e.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Glad to hear it worked, but AHT isn't that serious actually, a RAM stick went bad in my iMac/600, wouldn't boot at all, yet AHT would boot & reported everything fine, yet replacing the RAM stick cured the problem, on another Mac the HDD died, AHT just skipped the test, no error.

Of note, OSX "tests" the RAM better than any RAM test... in that it can find a weak spot in the RAM m uch better, it just doesn't report it that way.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:44 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Glad to hear it worked, but AHT isn't that serious actually, a RAM stick went bad in my iMac/600, wouldn't boot at all, yet AHT would boot & reported everything fine, yet replacing the RAM stick cured the problem, on another Mac the HDD died, AHT just skipped the test, no error.

Of note, OSX "tests" the RAM better than any RAM test... in that it can find a weak spot in the RAM m uch better, it just doesn't report it that way.

Yep . . . my iMac passed the AHT multiple times while I went through a year of kernel panics with it . . . no other diagnostic apps . . . so I finally took it to the pros . . . and, it did take them quite awhile to find busted RAM stick . . . . Must have been the mobo "busting" it . . . cause a week after I got it back, same thing . . . then it was good for almost a year . . . then down again with kernel panics . . . . Figuring its the RAM busted again . . . just left it as a paperweight and slid the new PM display in front of it . . . .

Point being AHT hasn't been overly robust in OSX . . . seemed a little more "serious" in 9 . . . and, uh, it "passed."

e.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I always mused to myself that AHT was Apple's way avoiding Warranty problems. :snail:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:25 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
I always mused to myself that AHT was Apple's way avoiding Warranty problems. :snail:

Yep . . . one year back in '00 or '01 . . . it was a part of the iTools . . . or whatever they called it at the time . . . $99/year . . . so we were paying to help them avoid Warranty problems . . . .

e.

[Edit: Possibly "creative hyperbole" . . . but I remember something extra in the package deal . . . in the .Mac package . . . diagnostic something . . . .]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:50 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, the Mac tax on the Mac tax! :whip:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:26 am 

este.el.paz wrote:
Point being AHT hasn't been overly robust in OSX . . . seemed a little more "serious" in 9 . . . and, uh, it "passed."
AHT was always like a poor mans ASD, it seemed to exist to fill a checkbox that someone in Apple thought needed to be checked. "People need a free alternative to TechTool Pro!" Care being taken to insure it actually worked seemed inconsequential.

That being said, TTP isn't what it used to be either, during OS9 days it was really incredibly robust and now it's just kinda... sad...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:04 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
este.el.paz wrote:
AHT was always like a poor mans ASD, it seemed to exist to fill a checkbox that someone in Apple thought needed to be checked. "People need a free alternative to TechTool Pro!" Care being taken to insure it actually worked seemed inconsequential.

That being said, TTP isn't what it used to be either, during OS9 days it was really incredibly robust and now it's just kinda... sad...

Right, why waste valuable brain time trying to figure out the problem with the "old" machine, when there is a brand new Wombat 10000 waiting at the Apple store . . . ???? :upset:

e.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:15 am 
Benevolent Dictator

With the world's most modern OS... we just complied it for the first time 30 seconds ago... any bug fixes will have to wait for the next major release... as soon as we can figure out what we haven't changed completely yet! :upset:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:38 am 

Just posting here in this thread that I moved the jumpers to 1 GHz position, did PRAM for 4 chimes and then Yaboot cut in and booted linux . . . and so far, all has been smooth . . . no "crash reports" yet, and things are pretty responsive on the interweb sites . . . more or less responding at the time when clicked or scrolled . . . a few minor delays . . . . Even ran another "packet" on dnetc . . . .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:29 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Sounds good so far! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:47 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Sounds good so far! :)

The general "weirdness" continues . . . since things seemed to be going OK at 1GHz in linux, no crashes at all . . . I thought I'd try to clone the old system back into the int HD . . . CCC told me, "something didn't go well" . . . turns out I had forgotten that in trying to get the OSX disk to "unmount" I had used GParted and that formatted to "HFS+" . . . not realizing it wasn't "journaled"??? And the install of the clone was trashed . . . Finder kept crashing and starting . . . . Then DU couldn't "erase" what was there . . . and then using a version of Tiger installed in my iBook cloned to extHD I could erase and format the disk, but, again, it couldn't do "zero the data" . . . ???

And I was trying to set up the old iMac system with the Sonnet Cache update **before*** I tried to clone it again . . . and, perhaps using the iBook DU did something to "corrupt" the iMac disk??? And none of the DUs, including 10.5 installer DU can repair the disk . . . seems to be "greyed" out in the list???

Finally, booted the 10.5 installer and . . . success!!! So, now I have a base 10.5 install which seems to be 17GB?? compared to base Tiger of 4GB??? And, it's fine . . . I think it challenges the 2GB RAM more than Tiger . . . but, it's woikin' . . . it has "sleep" . . . but, of course the OSX installer "breaks" the linux Yaboot connection . . . making the linux side not bootable . . . .

Definitely been a harsh learning curve on this cpu upgrade process . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:51 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

So, is Leo at 10.5.8 & running fine @ 1 GHz?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:03 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
So, is Leo at 10.5.8 & running fine @ 1 GHz?

It's at 10.5.5 or 4 or 6 . . . the Software Updater shows "10.5.8 Combo Update" is a whopping 768MBs away . . . didn't have time for that this am on my "3" MB/sec DSL line . . . .

But, otherwise, yes, running fine @ 1 GHz . . . . Over the next week or so, I'll try updating it, and I guess try using Migration Asst to move stuff over from the "corrupted" disk . . . . I would have preferred keeping it with Tiger, but, "I screwed up" on the formatting and that seems to have retro-screwed the ext HD???

e

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:26 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, good luck. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:36 pm 

Thanks . . . somewhat amusing . . . keeps me busy . . . . Happy Holidays to you, as always thanks for playing . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:18 pm 

You'll probably want to get 10.5.8, there were some nasty annoying bugs in older builds. There's still nasty annoying bugs in 10.5.8 but at least there's fewer of them. A shame Apple decided to cash grab in 10.6, it would've been real nice if they had played nice with others and let their PPC customers enjoy all those bug fixes too. Then they could have slammed the door on us in 10.7 and nobody would have cared because 10.7 sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:31 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You'll probably want to get 10.5.8, there were some nasty annoying bugs in older builds. There's still nasty annoying bugs in 10.5.8 but at least there's fewer of them. A shame Apple decided to cash grab in 10.6, it would've been real nice if they had played nice with others and let their PPC customers enjoy all those bug fixes too. Then they could have slammed the door on us in 10.7 and nobody would have cared because 10.7 sucks.

Thanks, yeah, got that done last night . . . looks like a few other Software Updates, a "security update" of 256MB . . . . And, good news is that Migration Asst seems to have moved most of my user stuff and applications from my old iMac over to the PM . . . so that is great . . . . Only thing it looks like I'll have to re-install is applejack . . . and then I have used Onyx on all my PPC machines, so that I think has to be specific to Leopard . . . . And, it seems like the 2GB RAM is more or less able to handle the heavy Leopard lifting . . . I would have preferred to stay with Tiger . . . but, the install "failed" multiple times . . . just went with what works......

Now, the only odd thing is that cold booting takes quite awhile to load the log-in window . . . minutes . . . so staying in "sleep" or logged out and sleeping would have to be the choice. And, the Yaboot stuff has been wrecked in the OSX install . . . and, another strange aspect is that the Optical drive doesn't seem to "recognize" my SugerGrub2 CD . . . it won't boot it with the "c" key and it won't show up with the option key . . . . But, I have used it to boot linux installs previously in my iMac and possibly my MBPro . . . but, not the PM???? Might try to move it to a USB drive and see if that will boot . . . but, historically it doesn't seem to repair the Yaboot install . . . needing a total nuke n pave . . . ???? Any thoughts on how to reconnect the Yaboot conf file?? would be appreciated . . . ???

e..

[EDIT1: Just to report "further oddities" with the Leopard system . . . using Software Updater seems to have succeeded in updating to 10.5.8, but yesterday I tried to update Java and that showed 69% downloaded, but then errored with "not validated" . . . and then same thing today with the 256MB security update and safari, both "failed to install" due to validation issues . . . so, I'm "insecured" and "Java-less in Seattle" . . . and, don't use it but . . . stuck with some lower echelon Safari package . . . . Seems hit or miss on the Software Updater . . . traditionally it seemed "easy" to go directly to the Apple website and find packages, but the last few years it seemed like the PPC stuff was "buried" or "archived" . . . . Don't know if it's worth fiddling with . . . ????]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:44 pm 

Latest update:

Still trying to figure out if I can repair the Yaboot install . . . but, in the meanwhile running 10.5.8 seems to be "OK" . . . thought it might overwhelm the 2GB RAM, but things seem to be happening in a reasonable amount of time.

One issue, minor, but wondering if it is "known issue" with 10.5 . . . each time I log in, providing password . . . a little window opens asking permission for a "keychain password" . . . so, I have to enter the password again. I looked in "log in items" but, not sure if there is a way to get the Keychain to just "log in" with my . . . log in????

e..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Here you go...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:57 pm 

Thanks, appreciate that . . . actually the password didn't change . . . although because my clone disk was "corrupted" somehow, I did use the installer to set up the account, using same name as the clone; but when Migration Asst began moving the old files I had to switch the user name (not password) of the old account (now the present admin) . . . . I since erased the "new" account . . . but, anyway, I've "changed" the keychain password to the same password . . . . Other stuff to do, but I'll see how that works out when I log back in . . . .

PS: I've requested a dnetc password to be emailed three times . . . each time "ten minutes away" . . . days or weeks later, nothing . . . still locked out of my linux partition where I have the dnetc set-up . . . so I'd be of no help to the team anyway . . . . If I don't get that Yaboot "re-blessed" or whatever is needed, maybe I'll try to get it set up in OSX . . . so far 1 GHz is running cleanly . . . although I did get AJ installed and it did seem to dig up some weirdness errors . . . on the GUI surface all is calm . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:17 pm 

Just to finish the olde year on the latest news of fresh disaster . . . nothing serious, just the continuing series of wacky stuff . . . don't know if this is the "buggy Leopard" that MB was talking about or the cpu making mischief . . . but, like I mentioned, things more or less seem "normal" on the surface of 10.5 . . . no luck on reviving Yaboot . . . yet.

Last night I ran DU and verified the int disk, and, for the first time since I upgraded it said it was "OK" . . . so I cloned the system over to the ext HD partition . . . erasing and formatting the old partition previously damaged . . . and all went "OK" except CCC gave me an "In/Out error" . . . relating to the Firefox cache . . .??? wasn't sure if that was because of the "new" account name thingie (keychain still asking for password BTW) . . . . Anyway, since it took quite awhile to move 20GB over via 400 FW I logged out or just put the machine to sleep.

This Am I wake the machine, things going OK, checked emails . . . then I tried to reboot and boot the clone to check it out; as it boots an error window says, "We are unable to repair Macint0, but we're showing it for your enjoyment anyway" . . . that was the internal HD OSX disk they were referring to . . . ????? Figured no point in running DU on it . . . disk appears "damaged." Anyway, clone booted, so I went back to int HD, and tried to launch Mail . . . no dice, it "crashed" . . . tried it several times, crashed 3 times.

rebooted into single user, more disaster as I mentioned AJ finding before . . . "couldn't repair the disk" . . . then it says, "Success, It's OK"??? . . . moving on to permissions??? it got stuck on a repeated line with different numbers "diskarbitration: could not create system configuration notification port" at least 20 times . . . finally I control-c'd out of it . . . and shut the computer down for a couple hours . . . .

On reboot, OSX log in window loads, I log in . . . TFF is fine . . . Mail launches first time . . . . Sound like a "normal" day running 10.5.8??? I guess it is . . . tempted to run AJ again, but just can't stand the news of fresh disaster for today.

Happy New Year homes . . . !!!! :coffee:

e..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next