XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:56 pm 

Back to diagnosing iMac G5 non-boot.
I have used ASD 2.5.8 to perform the tests of hardware. Restarting with Option Key and selecting Diagnostics (OS) partition, the computer will boot into the OS=apple logo, spinning gear, and proceed to search for items and fianlly look for "drives". At this point the Diagnostics (OS) seems to stall and reboot into the partition for testing the hardware.
Can anyone tell me what is the processes that are "expected" when booting up in the Diagnostics (OS ) partition?
The ASD disk doesn't provide any info on the OS partition. Is there some info on the web for this subject?
Thanks
HAG531

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:21 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Are you running in OF, (Open Firmware), mode, or GUI mode?

Some Macs can only use OF mode without crashing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:00 pm 

running in GUI mode.
Thanks
hag531

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

See if it does better in OF mode, I think holding alt key at bootup.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:33 pm 

I booted it to OF and typed "mac-boot"
Much to my surprise it booted directly to OS on hard drive and ignored partitions on ASD disk. ??
OS on hard drive (10.4.11) seems to be running OK
Went to disk utility and performed "permissions repair" - no glitch
Went to Terminal did sudo periodic monthly -no glitch
Ran sudo periodic weekly- took long time - no glitch, ditto daily
Not sure what to try next for stable start-up from Hard drive.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I forget exactly, but as I recall you can choose OF running of ASD either by holding alt key at bootup, or maybe choosing it in Startup Disk CP, sorry about the confusion, you don't boot into OF yourself, the ASD Disc has to do it as far as I know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:48 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

OOPs, maybe with ASD 2.6.3!???

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:03 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, Apple says it boots to OF using c key, but says it has both modes???

Quote:
About Apple Service Diagnostic v 2.5.8 Dual Boot CD
Apple Service Diagnostic CD is designed to run both Open Firmware and Mac OS X tests from a single CD. Apple Service
Diagnostic (OF) performs low-level tests of hardware directly and does not require an operating system to run. Apple Service
Diagnostic (OS) uses Mac OS X to perform tests.
Booting and using the Apple Service Diagnostic Dual Boot-able CD
With the CD inserted restart the machine and hold down the C key as the computer starts up. After 20-30 seconds the computer
will boot to the main screen of Apple Service Diagnostic for Open Firmware testing. Apple Service Diagnostic Open Firmware
testing does not require an operating system to run. After running Diagnostic (OF) press the Restart button to restart the Mac.
Press and hold down the 'option' key while booting to get to system picker. Once system picker has finished scanning for other
bootable volumes, select Diagnostic (OS) and press the right arrow key. After 3-4 minutes the computer will boot to the main
screen of Apple Service Diagnostic for Mac OS X testing. Once finished press the Shutdown or Restart button to quit.
Before using Apple Service Diagnostic disconnect any Ethernet network and USB cables.
Apple Service Diagnostic is distributed to Apple Service Providers only for use with PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5GHz),
PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.67GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz), PowerBook
G4 (12-inch 1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5GHz), iBook G4 (Early 2004), iBook G4 (14-inch Early 2004), eMac (USB
2.0), Power Mac G5, Power Mac G5 (June 2004 Series), Power Mac G5 (Late 2004), Power Mac G5 (Early 2005), iMac G5,
iBook G4 (12-inch Late 2004), iBook G4 (14-inch Late 2004), Mac mini, and iMac G5 w/ALS (Ambient Light Sensor).

Quote:
Booting and using the Apple Service Diagnostic CD
With the CD inserted restart the machine and hold down the C key as the computer
starts up. The computer will boot to the main screen of Apple Service Diagnostic
for Open Firmware testing. ASD Open Firmware testing does not require an
operating system to run. After running ASD (OF) Diag, press the Restart button to
restart the Mac. Press the 'option' key while booting to get to system picker. Once
system picker has finished scanning for other bootable volumes, select ASD (OS)
Diag and press the right arrow key. After 3-4 minutes the computer will boot to the
main screen of Apple Service Diagnostic for Mac OS X testing. Once finished press
the shutdown button to quit.
Thermal Calibration for G5 Power Macintosh and G5 Power Macintosh (June 2004
Series), ASD OF only
The only time you should need to run Thermal Calibration is after a CPU has been
removed or replaced. To run TC select "Initiate Calibration" from the "Thermal
Calibration" menu. If it is required then a thermal calibration window appears
displaying what conditions triggered a re-calibration alert. Follow the instructions for
the proper corrective action. When a re-calibration is required press the Calibrate
button to proceed with the automated calibration process. If calibration fails the
result will be given as "Calibration Failed" displayed in red text. Also displayed will
be an error string describing the cause of the failure. Refer to the Thermal
Calibration Results Guide for a complete listing of calibration errors and actions. If
calibration passes press the Quit button to continue to the diagnostics. The Thermal
Calibration menu is only present for machines that require thermal calibration.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:28 am 

Thanks for the info.
As I understand the discussion, after one does the hardware testing, one restarts with the Option key to get the picker and the Diagnostics(OS) option. Select this option and click arrow. Machine boots into an OS window, and after sometime goes into the hardware testing screen from which one chooses restart. The machine then presumably boots from the hard drive. I understand that while executing the "Diagnostics(OS)" mode there is nothing to see or do.
Again thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:07 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OK, keep us posted on what's going on. :)