XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Faulty iMac G5s
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:09 pm 
Master

Historical note: This is old information, but I'm posting it so that anyone who might be looking for it in the future can find it. Apple has a bad habit of "disappearing" this kind of stuff.

Apple released a repair extension authorization program -- basically an extended warranty on certain components that may experience a particular type of failure -- for three years from the date of purchase for first generation iMac G5s with serial numbers with the first five digits in the following ranges:

• W8435 - W8522
  • QP435 - QP522
  • CK435 - CK522
  • YD435 - YD522

The program covered machines, as Apple put it, "sold between approximately September 2004 and June 2005 featuring 17- and 20-inch displays with 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz G5 processors."

Quote:
Affected systems will exhibit one of the following video- or power-related symptoms:
* Scrambled or distorted video
* No video
* No power

The problems were principally caused by faulty capacitors on the motherboards (midplanes) and inside the power supplies. I don't know for certain if any other components were causing problems on these systems.

Apple states: "as of December 15, 2008, this program is now closed."

If you're experiencing these sort of problems your first generation iMac G5, open the computer and check for bad capacitors on the motherboard and/or power supply. The capacitors are not difficult to replace if you have at least basic soldering skills and some patience. If you decide to replace the bad capacitors, remember to replace all the capacitors not just the ones that are obviously faulty. Any bulging capacitors, or any with brownish or any other color gunk leaking out of them, are definitely bad, but if you see one bad capacitor, suspect all the others. The absence of obvious signs of failure does not mean a capacitor is working correctly.

IMPORTANT: It can be a pain in the butt to open the power supply if you don't have the right Torx security screwdriver. You also must promise that you or your heirs won't sue us after you electrocute yourself.

If your computer tends to shut down unexpectedly and nothing else is obviously wrong, it's almost certainly due to the aforementioned problems and either a power supply or motherboard repair will be necessary. If after the unexpected shutdowns you see entries in your system.log (which you can browse in the console) like "AppleSMU -- shutdown cause = -110" (other numbers are possible) then you almost certainly need to repair or replace the motherboard and/or power supply.

If your computer is unexpectedly going to sleep, it's probably overheating. This could be caused by a bad thermal connection to the heatsink, faulty temperature sensors, or an airflow problem like a bad fan or clogged vents.

I'll continue to update this thread as needed.

- Anonymous

Post subject: Re: Faulty iMac G5s
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great idea for a post non! :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm 
he who stacks pork

Anonymous wrote:
It can be a pain in the butt to open the power supply if you don't have the right Torx security screwdriver.

Orchard Supply Hardware—that’s “OSH” to you and me.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:42 am 

Fortunately, it didn't come to this for me, but stumbled on this. There's a wealth of information on doing this repair, including soldering technique, and many links, including one where you may find an exact replacement set of all the caps. This set is supplied, supposedly, with the correct physical dimensions for fit. I can"t vouch for this first hand, but it would seem worth looking into.

http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-to-r ... mac-g5.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:44 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great link/addition WZZZ, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:29 pm 

So, a 20" iMac (G5) with a serial number QP537..., and a 2 GHz processor is probably okay? I have an opportunity to get one of these for free (part of a deceased brother's estate), but I don't want a ticking capacitor time bomb.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:55 pm 
Master

ESprung wrote:
So, a 20" iMac (G5) with a serial number QP537..., and a 2 GHz processor is probably okay? I have an opportunity to get one of these for free (part of a deceased brother's estate), but I don't want a ticking capacitor time bomb.

It's probably fine. And even if it does eventually crap out, you'll have enjoyed it quite a bit in the meantime. The 20" iMac G5s are lovely machines when their capacitors aren't leaking. The 20-inchers also don't have, in my experience, the fan noise problems that the 17" models often suffer.

Unless you don't have the space for it or you're using something better, I'd jump at that opportunity.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:46 am 

Quote:
The 20-inchers also don't have, in my experience, the fan noise problems that the 17" models often suffer.

Can you explain what causes that problem when it occurs? (As I mentioned elsewhere, I was concerned about an opposite problem, that I usually didn't hear any fan sound--checked using Hardware Monitor, and all the fans are operating properly. This 17" (first generation) is ultra quiet.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:37 am 

Anonymous wrote:
ESprung wrote:

It's probably fine. And even if it does eventually crap out, you'll have enjoyed it quite a bit in the meantime. The 20" iMac G5s are lovely machines when their capacitors aren't leaking. The 20-inchers also don't have, in my experience, the fan noise problems that the 17" models often suffer.

Unless you don't have the space for it or you're using something better, I'd jump at that opportunity.

- Anonymous

Actually I'm using a dual 2 GHz G5 tower, but I'll find room for this (in my small place) somehow. It has finally reached the point that when another computer moves in, one moves out. I'll find someone to give the QS 933 to. This will leave me with the G5 tower, Dual boot MDD G4 1.25 GHz, a 1 GHz dual boot PowerBook G4 and a Cube along with that iMac! Wow. I remember when I had my first Classic II, then Quadra and would look a folks with multiple machines in awe, and now I are one, LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:49 pm 

Dell's bad caps leaking out now big time.
"In Faulty Computer Suit, Window to Dell’s Decline"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/techn ... wanted=all

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm 
Master

WZZZ wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?pagewanted=all

From the article: wrote:
Dell replaced faulty motherboards with other faulty motherboards, according to the contractor’s findings.

My experience is that appears to be Apple's approach to product flaws, although I don't know if Apple specifically did that once the capacitor problems were identified.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:03 am 

I remember having a designer come to me with one of these leaky beasts and having to order up the new board and install it. Sort of a pain, but not too bad, ultimately, and a good experience tearing into one of those cases. Engineering to the extreme for the time.

Great post and idea, Anon.

Gathering Brews

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 am 

Anonymous wrote:
From the article: wrote:
Dell replaced faulty motherboards with other faulty motherboards, according to the contractor’s findings.

My experience is that appears to be Apple's approach to product flaws, although I don't know if Apple specifically did that once the capacitor problems were identified.

Mine, as you may know, plowed through three boards. Every few days there's a post on the iMac G5 Apple forum from someone who had the board or the power supply replaced, either self-paid or by Apple, who's now having the same problem.

Here are some very interesting photos from a guy who said his board was replaced by Apple and which failed again within a few months. He took it out and was rather astonished. Be prepared to see some really nice work. Someone who knows how to work on these commented if it was done by Apple, it must have been by the troglodyte division.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 am 

Unless I'm mistaken (and I certainly could be), most of those photos are showing flux resin, which is included in solder and flows all over the place when you solder in new parts. It's possible that part was repaired multiple times, each time leaving behind more resin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:47 pm 
Master

All the gunk is definitely leftover flux. It really probably should have been cleaned up. The solder jobs was also not very good, but I'd guess it'll hold. My suspicion is that it probably wasn't done by Apple. I'd bet Apple pulls the boards, puts in a "new" (or refurbed) one, and sends the old board to some facility for reconditioning. Anyplace repairing a lot of these will probably more-or-less know what they're doing and have a nice rework station for doing it, plus likely enough experience to know how to solder things nicely.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:06 pm 

It was probably repaired by monkeys, who don't know how to clean up the flux (I don't, but then again I don't do it for a living).

Most/All of the remanufacturing work is outsourced now, I wouldn't be surprised if those parts got shipped to Mexico. Not to say that they can't do good work down there, just that they'll just do the work for virtually nothing, which doesn't lend itself to retaining personnel who know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 am 
Thanks a lot i was searching for this for very long time, actually i recently join this forum and i hope got lot of such useful information in future.

My interests are spamming online forums, lying about where I live, and generally making the Internet a worse place. For example, I claim to be from "Chicago,Illinois,USA" but I'm posting from a computer in Karachi Pakistan. Most people are pretty stupid, so no one will probably notice.

WZZZ wrote:
Fortunately, it didn't come to this for me, but stumbled on this. There's a wealth of information on doing this repair, including soldering technique, and many links, including one where you may find an exact replacement set of all the caps. This set is supplied, supposedly, with the correct physical dimensions for fit. I can"t vouch for this first hand, but it would seem worth looking into.

- Some asshole posting from 119.155.20.139, aka "james.andi22@yahoo.com"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:40 am 

james90 wrote:
Thanks a lot i was searching for this for very long time, actually i recently join this forum and i hope got lot of such useful information in future.

My interests are spamming online forums, lying about where I live, and generally making the Internet a worse place. For example, I claim to be from "Chicago,Illinois,USA" but I'm posting from a computer in Karachi Pakistan. Most people are pretty stupid, so no one will probably notice.
- Some asshole posting from 119.155.20.139, aka "james.andi22@yahoo.com"

This spammer's post has obviously been altered by Anonymous to reflect the truth. Nice work Anon! (Edited to correct a minor spelling error.)

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I think Anon fixed this guy by introducing truth in posting guidelines... to bad they can't even read the forums! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:47 pm 

I'm so glad I didn't get caught thinking that spammer's post was the original. That would have been embarrassing.

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:52 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Some not human signed up for a BBS account, I never did see the original message, Anon beat me to it & doctored whatever it said with the truth! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 pm 

Oh wow, as you can clearly see, Anonymous most skillfully edited that spammer's post and showed him the door. (Edited first to reflect some minor spelling errors. The second edit was to correct a dangling participle.)

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:27 pm 
Master

Spammers aren't so bad when they're open and honest, or at least served with barbecue sauce. This one seemed a little tongue tied, so I figured I'd help him express himself.

He won't be back.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:54 pm 

I should have recognized those awful spelling errors in my previous posts. I'm so embarrassed not to have seen them earlier.

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

You can edit your post or even delete it can't you?