XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I forget what I had in my G4. It's sitting in my storage bedroom. I'd check when I get home tonight but I just moved several metric tons of equipment out of my old office to the new building so my back is probably going to demand bedrest tonight and not more leaning over and rummaging.

I hear ya there. I had to actually tell my physical therapist I couldn't continue with the PT for my back because of the chronic pleuritis I've got. Turning the wrong way triggers it bigtime. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:10 pm 
he who stacks pork

LOL! I had two weeks of “vacation” between gigs, wherein I was going to replace a motherboard on a known-problematic 800MHz Quicksilver for a friend, as well as resurrect the Beige G3. My how time flies. Lately my focus has been on riding with emphasis on racing fitness (only one more race scheduled for this year in October). The new gig came up unexpectedly– honestly I did not believe it would come through, and now I am going to be super busy; can money buy happiness? :lol: :whip:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 pm 

Not really, but it can prevent misery.

Though to be honest all the people I knew who made 6 and 7 figures were mostly pretty miserable SOBs.

The only one who wasn't was a geek.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Leo, I thought you gave up racing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:43 pm 
he who stacks pork

BDAqua wrote:
Leo, I thought you gave up racing?

Me too. Realized at age almost 50 that I am still as fast as dudes half my age, so I’m sticking with it. Mostly doing singlespeed races though; they start us with the pros, and we usually end up spanking everyone else (except the pros) on the climbs.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ya know, I kinda thought this would happen.. you dedicated a lot to it in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’m out of commission unfortunately. A week ago a car opened the door into me whilst commuting to work. Need hand surgery and knee needs to heal. Shittiest part was that I was registered for an XC (cross country) mountain bike race which my fitness dictated I’d finish on the podium (open class with pros – singlespeed) on Saturday, and the very next day a charity hillclimb benefitting a local food bank (also on singlespeed, but competing in open category… and even after a race the day before it was a 97% chance of winning). So, I let myself down, as well as the hungry. Shit happens. Not sure how long I’ll be down for. I need some helpful tips, as I’ve had perfectly working limbs/appendages my entire life. Any mobility-impaired folks here who use computers for a living please chime in.

Started a new gig with a local fruit company who has some history spanning a few decades in Sillycorn Valley a few weeks prior to the commuting incident, and it’s incredibly frustrating not being able to reply to and compose emails (30% of job) as quickly and error-free as I used to be able to do it.

Cannot quite tinker on PPC projects – and I have a few of them. I’ve got it easy compared to many others, but this is setting me back. The 100% shit-filled part though is that getting into/out of and driving my car puts my deflicted knee into a major world of hurt. Torsional loads on joint are too much. Walking (even up/down stairs) mostly fine. But the car thing really sucks. I think cars might be evil.

-he who stacks pork